NFL.com has us as 7th best roster depth

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by barrett, Jul 21, 2008.

1. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

2. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I've been waiting a long time for us to become one of those teams.

Seems to me that both Walter and Davis could start for another team, but whatever. Actually, what I've been thinking is let's get DRob and Spencer healthy and then we've got ourselves some serious depth. Course, half the team may be injured by then. :tomato:

3. Toro59

Toro59 Rookie

agreed

so do we have two starting caliber tight ends? Bruener???

4. gtal98

gtal98 Rookie

Dreesen seems to be capable, but has had very limited reps so far to really judge him.

5. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

I think dreesen as a starter is a stretch for the reason stated above. Bruener? No way.

6. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Actually, I think that the Texans could be functional without Owen Daniels. Sort of in the same way you think that the Texans could still put up running yards without their starting running back (which could quite possibly happen). Whether Dreesen or Bruener could start for other teams is a different question. But for a system offense, I think Dreesen/Bruener are good depth.

The bigger problems for depth I believe are on the defensive side of the ball. How many players on the defensive side of the ball would you consider to be above average for their position?

7. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

3 as of now: Mario, Meco, Greenwood, Bennett (as a #2), Dunta.

8. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I have no issue with being elimanted based on can our 3rd string WR start elsewhere. Davis has never been on to start elsewhere and who knows what we really have in Jacoby (little more than flashes of preseason talent that has become a fan favorite).

9. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Couldn't agree more. Our depth at defensive end is really bad. If Mario were to get injured we would have a serious problem getting to the QB. I think next year we need to consider using one of our first day picks (rounds 1 + 2) on a defensive end.

College DEs I will be watching alot of this year:

FSU - Everette Brown, redshirt junior
    USF - George Selvie, quite possibly the #1 DE, except he is only a junior
    Georgia Tech - Michael Johnson, very disruptive at 6'6 250.

10. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

That's a pretty confusing quote right there. 3== 5?

11. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

It was written by brakos - what else did you expect?

12. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

well the elimination factor was weather or not the depth was starter potential. at least as it pertains to WR. I'm assuming that that was the theory behind a backup TE as well. Is Dreesen or Bruener a starter at TE on another team? I don't think so. As I said before, Davis is borderline. Maybe for the Tacks or Jax.

When we move to Defense it drops of drastically because of unanswered questions. Who would be starter potential at DE? Bulman? Maybe, maybe not. Kalu is a no. DT: could Maddox start for anyone in the league? I don't know. Certianly not a shoe in. Weaver maybe could but it's not fair to list him as depth at DT when he's starting at DE. As soon as you get to the LB's and CB's it's a totally mystery. I think that says our depth is questionable because they are unanswered questions. Maybe after some playing time we might find that they are serviceable and we are one of the deepest teams in the league but right now it's hard to say that defensively we have any certain starter quality depth.

All that said, I think we potentially could have one of the deepest teams in the league but I have little more than totally biased opinion to go on!

13. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

I think the texans have quite a few players and positions where there is not a significant dropoff between the starter and back-ups so we depth. Running back and safety come to mind. it may not mean that the play of the position is excellent, but not getting worse is a good thing.

That said, during the off-season, i know several threads addressed the issue that the texans were trying to improve the back portion of the roster say player 35-53 versus make big name splahes. a deeper roster can help overcome injury, when (not if) it hits.

14. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

There has never been a Shanahan/Kubiak offense that doesn't have a feature TE with the speed/savvy to split a cover two and block. That's not Bruener. It might be Dreessen. It is Daniels.

FB is another position in this offense that's tremendoulsy important but people tend to overlook.

The Texans roster is getting harder to make, which was Kubiak's goal entering '07. I think they're getting there, whether their depth is 7th or 17th really doesn't matter. It's a lot better than it used to be.

15. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Daniels can block ?

16. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

He is not a stud blocker, but I thik he does ok. I am more worried about his fumbles.

17. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

7th best depth and 20th in the power rankings....

Smells like a whole lot of mediocrity...

18. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

Why? He's had 3 bad games.

Mike

19. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Hard to hang on the ball with a busted up nose (where one of his fumbles came from). I think his broken nose bothered him more than they let be known publicly.

20. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

keep in mind though that he did hang onto the ball with the nose. it hit the ground, he was out, he cradled the ball. you may be right that after that his play was effected.