NFL.com - Bradie James will call plays on Texans' defense

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by alphajoker, May 30, 2012.

1. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

2. Cush

Cush Site Contributor

I like it

This will free Cushing up to focus on cracking skulls, rather than making sure everyone's in the right spots

3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

It takes a great deal of experience to be a "general" in this type of D. To be most effective, calls must almost be reflexive. You don't want this player to be putting a great deal of time into thinking, or not only will it delay the other's preparedness for the play, but it will stunt that player's own response and performance.

4. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

From the article:

Isn't Sharpton coming back from a torn quad?

I haven't seen a before/after, but his legs are looking a little thinnish.

Wade talked about hoping he came back by the end of OTAs, but don't know.

Will say that Bradie James is a very charismatic guy. Quote sheet doesn't really do him justice--listen or watch him do an interview.

5. GP

GP Go Texans!

Edit: OK, just read Wade's comments in the OTA thread...

Sounds like its a done deal. Bradie James is the caller now. 100%.

In Wade We Trust.

6. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

So will James wear the radio receiver in his helmet (green tag)?

[​IMG]

I find it hard to believe James will stay in the game in the nickel and dime defenses? What does he bring to the table on passing downs?

7. GP

GP Go Texans!

LOL, I know...I know...

Look, apparently Wade is officially handing it to James. I guess he does such a good job that there's no way BUT to have him do it.

Wade's comments on the OTA thread signal that James is da man.

8. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i think it's a good thing simply because wade thinks it's a good thing. he's worked with cushing, ryans and james and if he thinks that bradie is the best at calling the plays, especially in audible and hurry situations, that's what is what we should go with. i dont know how much it would "free cushing up", because making those calls helps to orient cushing more into the center of the action, but maybe it will allow him more freedom to wreak havoc.

i hope it doesnt affect cushing being the captain or figurehead of the defense because a lot of our guys feed off of his energy. i also worry that it means james is going to be a 3 down linebacker when he looks more like a 2 (and nowhere near cushing when it comes to rushing and pass coverage), but i dont know him well enough to say he isnt capable of staying in on passing downs.

9. Rey

Rey Guest

That's what I want to know.

None of the scenarios with bradie wearing the Dot seem good to me.

10. dinkatoid

dinkatoid Veteran

I am not sure if this is the case here, but we can actually have 2 guys on D with the radio, just only one on the field at a time:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80783ca4&template=with-video&confirm=true

So it is very possible we could have a nickle only player with a radio to make sure one is on the field. It is also possible that since James will only really be off the field in the nickle D, they could have some sort of signal from the side lines just for those specific plays. Either way, I really doubt Cushing is coming off the field on passing downs for James.

All that aside, I actually think this is a good thing. I love Cush as much as the next guy, but lets face it, at times, he can get a little lost. Every once in awhile I would see 'meco pointing him in the right direction or telling him to change this or that. Even with the radio helmet, it felt like 'meco still controlled the play calls more than Cush did. I vaguely remember 2 years ago when some people said that Cush struggled to help others get the play right and then take care of himself, he did a lot better when they let someone else play MLB and call the shots, and he just played his game.

I would much rather see 100% of Cushing the player, than see his play reduced because he is trying to take care of others. If James knows it backwards and forwards already, let him make the calls. I am sure they can work out a way to get the calls on the field when James is off.

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I an thinking Cushing will wear the dot, receive and make the play call and then James will be making non-nickle and down audibles which then transfer back to Cushing when James comes out for nickle and dime. Sounds awkward to me but at this point I will trust Wade.

12. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

So much for all of the hype about Cushing being a team leader.

13. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

From this morning's The Washington Post

14. Rey

Rey Guest

After reading wades comments I think you are mostly right.

Wade mentioned signals though which leads me to believe that james will be looking to the sideline for playcalls.

15. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

What?

16. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Nice dig comment. Not making the audibles doesn't mean someone isn't a leader. He clearly fires the D up and works the sideline. Leadership comes in different forms. Exemplary play, fiery mentality. Then there is quiet leadership like from Aaron Glenn or AJ doing an excellent job and then discussing what is going on with routes and coverage in such small pantomime on the sideline and quiet voices with teammates you are hard pressed to notice it. I hate how some fans think every veteran is should be brought in for a look as a veteran leader and hate how some folks want to leadership only comes in one form.

I wouldn't doubt them mixing that in at all Wade, James and Herring pre-date and worked together before the green dot for defensive players.

17. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Not knocking his talent, determination, competitiveness, or value to the team as a very good NFL LB.
    I was hoping he might step in for DeMeco in terms of a leadership role, but guess not ?

18. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I was telling you guys that Sharpton wouldn't start. It ain't even TC yet and they have him running second team.

19. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Looks like Herring and Wade still love those Cowboys! :wadepalm:

Cushing deserves, and wants to be the leader of the D. Hell, Wade went on TV a day or so ago and said Cush was the leader of the D and Cush said he was ready! James is the newbie so WHY should he be the designated leader? I would be P*SSED off if I was Cush!!

20. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

From what I've heard, Sharpton isn't running anything. He's still on the sidelines recovering from injury. At least, that's what I thought I'd read.

I expected Sharpton to be penciled in as the starter with Demeco leaving and it was his job to lose. I thought that signaled that they had faith in him stepping up to fill that void. I was wrong. From the reports I've read, they've lost faith in Sharpton and his name has been erased. Now James' name seems to be written in ink.