Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL.com - Bradie James will call plays on Texans' defense

I like it

This will free Cushing up to focus on cracking skulls, rather than making sure everyone's in the right spots

It takes a great deal of experience to be a "general" in this type of D. To be most effective, calls must almost be reflexive. You don't want this player to be putting a great deal of time into thinking, or not only will it delay the other's preparedness for the play, but it will stunt that player's own response and performance.

From the article:

Rehabbing third-year linebacker Darryl Sharpton might have more upside than James, but the latter clearly has Phillips' trust.

Isn't Sharpton coming back from a torn quad?

I haven't seen a before/after, but his legs are looking a little thinnish.

Wade talked about hoping he came back by the end of OTAs, but don't know.

Will say that Bradie James is a very charismatic guy. Quote sheet doesn't really do him justice--listen or watch him do an interview.

Edit: OK, just read Wade's comments in the OTA thread...

Sounds like its a done deal. Bradie James is the caller now. 100%.

In Wade We Trust.

So will James wear the radio receiver in his helmet (green tag)?

mcclain.dirty_.blog_.cropped.jpg

I find it hard to believe James will stay in the game in the nickel and dime defenses? What does he bring to the table on passing downs?

I find it hard to believe James will stay in the game in the nickel and dime defenses? What does he bring to the table on passing downs?

LOL, I know...I know...

Look, apparently Wade is officially handing it to James. I guess he does such a good job that there's no way BUT to have him do it.

Wade's comments on the OTA thread signal that James is da man.

i think it's a good thing simply because wade thinks it's a good thing. he's worked with cushing, ryans and james and if he thinks that bradie is the best at calling the plays, especially in audible and hurry situations, that's what is what we should go with. i dont know how much it would "free cushing up", because making those calls helps to orient cushing more into the center of the action, but maybe it will allow him more freedom to wreak havoc.

i hope it doesnt affect cushing being the captain or figurehead of the defense because a lot of our guys feed off of his energy. i also worry that it means james is going to be a 3 down linebacker when he looks more like a 2 (and nowhere near cushing when it comes to rushing and pass coverage), but i dont know him well enough to say he isnt capable of staying in on passing downs.

That's what I want to know.

None of the scenarios with bradie wearing the Dot seem good to me.

I am not sure if this is the case here, but we can actually have 2 guys on D with the radio, just only one on the field at a time:

One defensive player will wear a helmet similar to what the quarterback is allowed on offense. Should that player leave the game, a teammate can be designated to also have the device. But only one defender with the device can be on the field at a time.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80783ca4&template=with-video&confirm=true

So it is very possible we could have a nickle only player with a radio to make sure one is on the field. It is also possible that since James will only really be off the field in the nickle D, they could have some sort of signal from the side lines just for those specific plays. Either way, I really doubt Cushing is coming off the field on passing downs for James.

All that aside, I actually think this is a good thing. I love Cush as much as the next guy, but lets face it, at times, he can get a little lost. Every once in awhile I would see 'meco pointing him in the right direction or telling him to change this or that. Even with the radio helmet, it felt like 'meco still controlled the play calls more than Cush did. I vaguely remember 2 years ago when some people said that Cush struggled to help others get the play right and then take care of himself, he did a lot better when they let someone else play MLB and call the shots, and he just played his game.

I would much rather see 100% of Cushing the player, than see his play reduced because he is trying to take care of others. If James knows it backwards and forwards already, let him make the calls. I am sure they can work out a way to get the calls on the field when James is off.

I an thinking Cushing will wear the dot, receive and make the play call and then James will be making non-nickle and down audibles which then transfer back to Cushing when James comes out for nickle and dime. Sounds awkward to me but at this point I will trust Wade.

From this morning's The Washington Post

After trading longtime leader DeMeco Ryans to the Philadelphia Eagles in March, the Texans were looking for a veteran inside linebacker to fill the void. James signed with the team in April after spending 10 seasons with the Dallas Cowboys.

James said his familiarity with Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and linebackers coach Reggie Herring, who both coached him in Dallas, ultimately helped him choose the Texans.

“They tasted success last season and we need to build upon that,” James said. “It was a natural choice because this is a team that can compete for a championship, and it became a no-brainer.”

Many fans didn’t like the team’s decision to trade Ryans and sign James, who experienced a major dip in production last season. James had just 44 tackles and no sacks after leading the Cowboys in tackles for six consecutive seasons from 2004 to 2010. He also ended his five-year streak of seasons with more than 100 tackles.

Herring said he feels that the decline had less to do with James and more to do with the changing of the guard with Dallas’ coaching staff.

“You can talk about his age all you want, but he moves around better than a lot of the 21-year-olds out here,” Herring said. “To be honest with you, he didn’t fit well in Dallas’ scheme because there wasn’t really a place for him, for whatever reason.”

To have James back in Phillips’ 3-4 defensive scheme has Herring excited about the veteran’s potential this season. Herring said James’ familiarity with the scheme will make him more valuable to a defense that went from third-worst in yards allowed in 2010 to second-best last year.

“We feel like we’ve gained back what we lost with DeMeco leaving and then some,” Herring said. “On top of that, he knows our defense and he knows how to run the show.”

Through the first two weeks of organized team activities, James has competed with the first team, and he is expected to be the starting inside linebacker.

“The guy knows exactly what we’re doing, and he knows how to do it well,” Phillips said. “And above all, he’s a great guy, a great person and the kind of guy you want to be around.”

When James began to see the writing on the wall in Dallas, his charity work was one of his first concerns. James established Foundation 56 in 2007 to raise breast cancer awareness among inner-city women. James’ mother, Etta, died in 2001 when he was playing for LSU, and he later helped fund a resource center in Dallas and mobile units in Dallas and Baton Rouge, La., to provide mammograms.

“I always wanted to do something that would have an impact,” James said. “I wanted to help those underserved women get mammograms and help them out as much as possible.”

Although he now wears No. 53 with the Texans, James is hoping to bring Foundation 56 to Houston.

“He’s been everything Wade and Reggie said he would be,” coach Gary Kubiak said.

I an thinking Cushing will wear the dot, receive and make the play call and then James will be making non-nickle and down audibles which then transfer back to Cushing when James comes out for nickle and dime. Sounds awkward to me but at this point I will trust Wade.

After reading wades comments I think you are mostly right.

Wade mentioned signals though which leads me to believe that james will be looking to the sideline for playcalls.

So much for all of the hype about Cushing being a team leader.

Nice dig comment. Not making the audibles doesn't mean someone isn't a leader. He clearly fires the D up and works the sideline. Leadership comes in different forms. Exemplary play, fiery mentality. Then there is quiet leadership like from Aaron Glenn or AJ doing an excellent job and then discussing what is going on with routes and coverage in such small pantomime on the sideline and quiet voices with teammates you are hard pressed to notice it. I hate how some fans think every veteran is should be brought in for a look as a veteran leader and hate how some folks want to leadership only comes in one form.

After reading wades comments I think you are mostly right.

Wade mentioned signals though which leads me to believe that james will be looking to the sideline for playcalls.

I wouldn't doubt them mixing that in at all Wade, James and Herring pre-date and worked together before the green dot for defensive players.

Nice dig comment. Not making the audibles doesn't mean someone isn't a leader. He clearly fires the D up and works the sideline. Leadership comes in different forms. Exemplary play, fiery mentality. Then there is quiet leadership like from Aaron Glenn or AJ doing an excellent job and then discussing what is going on with routes and coverage in such small pantomime on the sideline and quiet voices with teammates you are hard pressed to notice it. I hate how some fans think every veteran is should be brought in for a look as a veteran leader and hate how some folks want to leadership only comes in one form.
Not knocking his talent, determination, competitiveness, or value to the team as a very good NFL LB.
I was hoping he might step in for DeMeco in terms of a leadership role, but guess not ?

I was telling you guys that Sharpton wouldn't start. It ain't even TC yet and they have him running second team.

Looks like Herring and Wade still love those Cowboys! :wadepalm:

Cushing deserves, and wants to be the leader of the D. Hell, Wade went on TV a day or so ago and said Cush was the leader of the D and Cush said he was ready! James is the newbie so WHY should he be the designated leader? I would be P*SSED off if I was Cush!!

I was telling you guys that Sharpton wouldn't start. It ain't even TC yet and they have him running second team.

From what I've heard, Sharpton isn't running anything. He's still on the sidelines recovering from injury. At least, that's what I thought I'd read.

I expected Sharpton to be penciled in as the starter with Demeco leaving and it was his job to lose. I thought that signaled that they had faith in him stepping up to fill that void. I was wrong. From the reports I've read, they've lost faith in Sharpton and his name has been erased. Now James' name seems to be written in ink.

I don't understand why some people feel like there can't be multiple leaders on the team. Anyone who's played sports know often, you can't just assign someone as leader and have the team look to that person as leader. People will naturally gravitate towards members of the team with leadership qualities. And so with that said, Cushing will always be looked on as a leader.

As for role of play calling and audibling, if James has such a clear cut advantage of knowledge of Wade's system, then he deserves it. Wade has all the respect in the world for Cushing and thinks he has all-world talent, but at the end of the day, he's worked longer with James (and only one shortened year with Cushing), and that leads to a higher comfort level.

It would be the same situation in any other work environment.

I tend to evaluate players on their talents and what coaches say about them, not how long they have been a Texan or how much I like them. This seems to resolve a draft issue for me also as I was wanting to select one in 2013. I can see James starting for at least two years based on this (subject to actual production of course). Also did not see ILB in 2nd round that I liked.

Another thing is I agree this could make Cushing even more devastating. Now if Sharpton can return healthy & productive, so much the better.

I don't understand why some people feel like there can't be multiple leaders on the team. Anyone who's played sports know often, you can't just assign someone as leader and have the team look to that person as leader. People will naturally gravitate towards members of the team with leadership qualities. And so with that said, Cushing will always be looked on as a leader.

As for role of play calling and audibling, if James has such a clear cut advantage of knowledge of Wade's system, then he deserves it. Wade has all the respect in the world for Cushing and thinks he has all-world talent, but at the end of the day, he's worked longer with James (and only one shortened year with Cushing), and that leads to a higher comfort level.

It would be the same situation in any other work environment.

After having slept on it, I agree with what you're saying.

I initially was not excited about Wade's move with James/Cushing, but after reading Wade's comments in the OTA thread...it seems Wade feels we're a better defense with Bradie James at the controls of the defense.

And if Wade thinks we're going to be a better defense, and Herring also believes that Bradie James is better at the controls, then I have to admit that Texans fans should rest easy with the decision by Wade and Herring. They earned our trust for what they did in 2011 after a patchwork off-season and camp (and new players PLUS old players asked to do new things).

I tend to evaluate players on their talents and what coaches say about them, not how long they have been a Texan or how much I like them. This seems to resolve a draft issue for me also as I was wanting to select one in 2013. I can see James starting for at least two years based on this (subject to actual production of course). Also did not see ILB in 2nd round that I liked.

Another thing is I agree this could make Cushing even more devastating. Now if Sharpton can return healthy & productive, so much the better.

I agree here, as well. Brian Cushing is a big boy. He's going to naturally feel a bit of sting from the decision to make Bradie James the signal caller, but I have a feeling that Cushing's instincts as a pure football player will kick in once he realizes that he's still making plays whether he's calling the plays or not.

At the end of the day, what I love about Cushing is that he respects the GAME itself and whatever he is privileged to do comes in at a distant second.

I would imagine that the players feel a tremendous amount of trust with whatever Wade wants to do. When players trust their coaches, they play better. They are free to just play and not second guess the overall system placed upon them. I think every man on that defense, as the season progressed, began to sense that Wade was putting them in position to be all they can be...and the result was unbridled aggression by our defense. No more standing around, shrugging shoulders, "What do I do? Am I in the right spot? Are YOU in the right spot? Who has THAT guy? Oh ****. (ball is snapped)."

Brian is STILL the guy they all look to for that raw, blood-thirsty appetite for wrecking an opposing offense. James is going to be the guy who makes sure nobody is out of place. They will, IMO, work well together.

Do not care who the leader of the defense is. All I care about is the PLAY of the defense and knocking the snot out of anyone in a different uniform.

Do not care who the leader of the defense is. All I care about is the PLAY of the defense and knocking the snot out of anyone in a different uniform.

Yep. I remember how almost every article this time last year was about how Mario would fit in as an OLB instead of a DE. How Cushing would fit in as the signal caller instead of Ryans. Would the two new FA's (Joseph and Manning) turn out to be a good fit or not.

Well, I think what we learned is that whatever Wade wants to do...it's probably going to be OK.

Now, will there be a sophomore slump? I hope not. I think we have the type of personalities on defense--Manning, Joseph, Cushing, A. Smith, JJ Watt, B. James, Barwin, Reed, Braman, etc.--that will make sure there is NOT a sophomore slump.

Those guys have bought into the system 100% and I don't see them regressing. So if Wade thinks James makes us even better, then I think the NFL universe and its inhabitants are going to be in awe of what happens in 2012. I think we can become, historically, one of the most lethal and efficient defenses in the NFL. The type of defense that basically wins you a Super Bowl like the Ravens and Bucaneers did several years ago...and we know our offense is light years better than those teams' respective offenses.

It could be THE year, IMO. We've got a full off-season, a full camp, and no Jacoby Jones.

After having slept on it, I agree with what you're saying.

I initially was not excited about Wade's move with James/Cushing, but after reading Wade's comments in the OTA thread...it seems Wade feels we're a better defense with Bradie James at the controls of the defense.

And if Wade thinks we're going to be a better defense, and Herring also believes that Bradie James is better at the controls, then I have to admit that Texans fans should rest easy with the decision by Wade and Herring. They earned our trust for what they did in 2011 after a patchwork off-season and camp (and new players PLUS old players asked to do new things).

I agree here, as well. Brian Cushing is a big boy. He's going to naturally feel a bit of sting from the decision to make Bradie James the signal caller, but I have a feeling that Cushing's instincts as a pure football player will kick in once he realizes that he's still making plays whether he's calling the plays or not.

At the end of the day, what I love about Cushing is that he respects the GAME itself and whatever he is privileged to do comes in at a distant second.

I would imagine that the players feel a tremendous amount of trust with whatever Wade wants to do. When players trust their coaches, they play better. They are free to just play and not second guess the overall system placed upon them. I think every man on that defense, as the season progressed, began to sense that Wade was putting them in position to be all they can be...and the result was unbridled aggression by our defense. No more standing around, shrugging shoulders, "What do I do? Am I in the right spot? Are YOU in the right spot? Who has THAT guy? Oh ****. (ball is snapped)."

Brian is STILL the guy they all look to for that raw, blood-thirsty appetite for wrecking an opposing offense. James is going to be the guy who makes sure nobody is out of place. They will, IMO, work well together.
Bolded is perfect statement. IMO, Cushing is a throwback to great players and LBs who just want to play every minute & hit somebody. Any touchy feelings will not be seen by fans.

Not knocking his talent, determination, competitiveness, or value to the team as a very good NFL LB.
I was hoping he might step in for DeMeco in terms of a leadership role, but guess not ?

You're just not getting it. Sometimes, especially with no complaint, giving up a role to someone who performs better for the team IN THAT SPECIFIC ROLE is being a leader.

Let me engage in hyperbole to get this point through. Cushing could be an excellent leader. Doesn't mean he believes he is the best player at every role on the field. "Coach, let me in to play QB, this leadership stuff is really what counts." Leadership also consists of putting your best suited guys in the best position. I just think it should be obvious to anyone DeMeco's and Cushing's leadership were never going to be the same in character so how are you judging them to be different in quality? DeMeco was an instant on the field intellectual and on the field leader. Cushing is emotional and on the field. Cushing will never be as intellectual as DeMeco and DeMeco isn't as emotional as Cushing.

You're just not getting it. Sometimes, especially with no complaint, giving up a role to someone who performs better for the team IN THAT SPECIFIC ROLE is being a leader.

Let me engage in hyperbole to get this point through. Cushing could be an excellent leader. Doesn't mean he believes he is the best player at every role on the field. "Coach, let me in to play QB, this leadership stuff is really what counts." Leadership also consists of putting your best suited guys in the best position. I just think it should be obvious to anyone DeMeco's and Cushing's leadership were never going to be the same in character so how are you judging them to be different in quality? DeMeco was an instant on the field intellectual and on the field leader. Cushing is emotional and on the field. Cushing will never be as intellectual as DeMeco and DeMeco isn't as emotional as Cushing.

I heard he runs the wildcat like a mug though.

I'm wondering how the dynamics are going to work exactly...I think I'll be able to see more during an actual game, but like it was stated earlier I think Cushing is still going to have the green dot.

But I think after the offense lines up is what Brady will be specializing in. Getting people in the right spots, making audible calls, making small adjustments based on the formations they see. It's really not all that hard to get the defense in and give it out. Adjustments to the defense when the offense lines up is what requires the most work.

I think that will allow Cushing to just play ball. He can still get the call in the headset for the defense and then Brady can make the audible calls and adjustments based on what he sees.

Cushing will never be as intellectual as DeMeco and DeMeco isn't as emotional as Cushing.
I don't think there's anything very intellectually demanding about being the defensive captain or calling defensive signals for the defense, certainly nothing even remotely near the requirements of being the offensive leader/QB of an NFL team. And emotionally, spiritually, whatever you want to call it, DeMeco was always more impressive to his teammates than Cushing was IMO. Maybe some of the fans (perhaps you are one of them ?) got pumped by his self-promotional antics, but Cushing just was not the inspirational leader in any way, shape, or form that DeMeco Ryans was for the Texans.

Cushing is the team leader -- the blood & guts, chatterbox, 110% effort leader.

Being the D signal caller requires the player to know every player's assignment. It's a bit more cerebral.

I don't want my Cush thinking out there ... I want him reading & reacting, pealing back his ears and going all batsh!t crazy on somebody. He'll have a "C" on his jersey, fwiw.

Daryl Sharpton may never become our starting ILB. However, he had his surgery the beginning of last November. Return to "trying" to return to sports may start as early as 6 months in some, but usually closure to 8 months. Typically, quad strength must be rebuilt and complete range of motion must be restored if possible. This takes a great deal of intense rehab/training. It is not unusual for a player not to be able to regain these two goals until the one year mark or longer, depending on the exact injury and surgical approach. Again, Sharpton may never have become what we expected, but we will not know for sure for quite a while longer. It certainly would not be surprising that the Texans would have no confidence in Sharpton at this point in time, if his performance were in line with a non fully-rehabbed quad tear.

Daryl Sharpton may never become our starting ILB. However, he had his surgery the beginning of last November. Return to "trying" to return to sports may start as early as 6 months in some, but usually closure to 8 months. Typically, quad strength must be rebuilt and complete range of motion must be restored if possible. This takes a great deal of intense rehab/training. It is not unusual for a player not to be able to regain these two goals until the one year mark or longer, depending on the exact injury and surgical approach. Again, Sharpton may never have become what we expected, but we will not know for sure for quite a while longer. It certainly would not be surprising that the Texans would have no confidence in Sharpton at this point in time, if his performance were in line with a non fully-rehabbed quad tear.

Great info.

msr

Bradie James isn't the premier player he once was, but he's knowledgeable. He's had experience in Wade's scheme, and he's been around football for a long time. It's a good decision.

Cushing's a great player and in his prime. He doesn't need the responsibility of calling plays to hold him back.

In Wade I trust.

That's all I really have to add.Yes I am scratching my head a little bit with the Demeco trade and now making James the defensive play caller but I will buy into it just because that is how much I trust Wade as a D-cordinator.

Bradie James has not played ONE FLIPPIN down as a Houston Texan!!! Yet, you guys want to turn over the entire leadership role of our ONCE awesome defense to someone who has NOT played one second with those that made our D what is WAS last year!! Sure, he played for Herring and Wade in the past and is fam with the 3-4. Big whoopie do!! I realize some of you don't believe in loyalty and have the mindset that they can adjust to anything just because they are paid so much and because they are pro's. That's BS IMHO! It takes a long time for a good team to develope, and for players to become comfortable with the skills of their fellow teammates, esp with the one's that have been leaders!! Cush WANTED the role, said he was ready for it, so why shouldn't it be given to him? He said himself he shared the role last year with Demeco and felt he was ready. I just don't get the passion you guys have for someone who has no exp with this team.

I'm not trying to be all negative about this. I truly hope this dude is everything you guys think he is cracked up to be, JUST BECAUSE he played for Wade Phillips. I don't see it, but, I don't watch the Cowboys play either, unless they play us!!

Great info.

msr

Pencil Neck, tried getting him for you, but I can't either.

MSR

...DeMeco was always more impressive to his teammates than Cushing was IMO. Maybe some of the fans (perhaps you are one of them ?) got pumped by his self-promotional antics, but Cushing just was not the inspirational leader in any way, shape, or form that DeMeco Ryans was for the Texans.

From 11/6/11 HoustonTexans.com
Cushing captaincy
Linebacker Brian Cushing led the Texans in tackles, again, with seven. He also wore a captain’s ‘C’ on his jersey Sunday for the first time in his NFL career. Head coach Gary Kubiak liked what he saw from Cushing, as he has all season long, and described why the third-year player earned the leadership position.

“We voted a few more captains at the midway point,” Kubiak said. “We did it off of respect to how you’re playing, and for offense, defense and special teams and Cush was a unanimous pick on the defensive side of the ball. That’s what the guys think of him and he’s bringing it every week.”

Cushing said he was surprised when he found out on Wednesday from Kubiak.

“I’m kind of a guy that I’m open-minded, I don’t really predetermine things and I just let them play out,” Cushing said. “But when he told me that and told me I was elected as a captain, like I said, I was just overwhelmed and very honored.”

Cushing was leader enough to be unanimously voted team captain.

Bradie James has not played ONE FLIPPIN down as a Houston Texan!!! Yet, you guys want to turn over the entire leadership role of our ONCE awesome defense to someone who has NOT played one second with those that made our D what is WAS last year!! Sure, he played for Herring and Wade in the past and is fam with the 3-4. Big whoopie do!! I realize some of you don't believe in loyalty and have the mindset that they can adjust to anything just because they are paid so much and because they are pro's. That's BS IMHO! It takes a long time for a good team to develope, and for players to become comfortable with the skills of their fellow teammates, esp with the one's that have been leaders!! Cush WANTED the role, said he was ready for it, so why shouldn't it be given to him? He said himself he shared the role last year with Demeco and felt he was ready. I just don't get the passion you guys have for someone who has no exp with this team.

I'm not trying to be all negative about this. I truly hope this dude is everything you guys think he is cracked up to be, JUST BECAUSE he played for Wade Phillips. I don't see it, but, I don't watch the Cowboys play either, unless they play us!!

"The entire leadership role" WHAT? we gave a player who has been in this system a long time the job of calling audibles and plays. That has nothing to do with leadership. He knows the system and it's intricacies. He knows where to put guys and if he does a good job in practices than the team will trust him to put them in the right place and if he doesn't do a good job in practice the coaches will give someone else the responsibility. It has nothing to do with leadership. Cushing is still a leader he just doesn't call the plays or get them from the sideline.

"The entire leadership role" WHAT? we gave a player who has been in this system a long time the job of calling audibles and plays. That has nothing to do with leadership. He knows the system and it's intricacies. He knows where to put guys and if he does a good job in practices than the team will trust him to put them in the right place and if he doesn't do a good job in practice the coaches will give someone else the responsibility. It has nothing to do with leadership. Cushing is still a leader he just doesn't call the plays or get them from the sideline.

I bet if it doesn't work...Cushing will be back in that role. Preseason games will give a good insight, and even after that...Wade might still have James in that role for the first few games.

Time will tell if it was the right move or not, so we have to be patient.

Cushing will adapt. He'll channel his energy into proper directions. And if James is ever hurt, we know who will step back into the role. It's good to have multiple guys who can do that.

See, the thing about loyalty is that it there are so many different directions it can go. In a sense, Wade is showing loyalty with James, he has that camaraderie there with Bradie, which is something I'm certain he'll develop with Cushing over the years.

The team (at least defensive side of the ball) and the fans also need to show that same loyalty to Wade. If he feels that having James call that plays is the best thing for the TEAM this season, then our feelings for one player shouldn't get in the way for that. No player is bigger than the team.

Cushing will get his eventually, but for now, Wade wants Cush to just be himself, while James calls the plays.

As many people know I've been pretty critical here and there about the off season, but not with the Brady James signing. Love that move, and I also like to hear this. I think by season end if James can stay healthy that a lot of folks that weren't that happy about that signing will be pleasantly surprised. James is a strong leader and a tough player.

With Sharpton on sidelines, James shows Texans he can take Ryans’ place
Posted on May 31, 2012 at 10:15 pm by John McClain in General

The Texans have one new starter on the NFL’s second-ranked defense.

Unfortunately for Darryl Sharpton, he’s not the replacement for DeMeco Ryans.

Bradie James is.

Sharpton, who rotated with Ryans last season until he suffered a torn quadriceps tendon that ended his season, continues to rehab and prepare for his return in training camp.

“Last season, I felt I was playing at a high level and getting better every week,” Sharpton said after Thursday’s OTA. “It’s been really frustrating, but it’s something that’s going to make me stronger.

“(The injury) was a heartbreaker, a test of my character, but I’ve persevered in the past. I’ll continue to do my rehab and work as hard as I can.”

James, 31, played his first nine seasons with Dallas and led the Cowboys in tackles for six consecutive seasons. His head coach for 3½ seasons was Wade Phillips, Texans defensive coordinator. His linebackers coach was Reggie Herring, who has the same title with the Texans.

“I’m learning a lot from him,” Sharpton said about James. “He’s a student of the game, and he’s got a lot of experience.”

When the Cowboys didn’t invite James to return for a 10th season, he accepted an offer to be reunited with Phillips and Herring. With Ryans’ trade to Philadelphia and Sharpton’s injury, the Texans had an opening next to Brian Cushing.

James knows Phillips’ 3-4 system better than any of his new defensive teammates, who played it for the first time last year.

“It was a no-brainer for me to come here,” James said. “The job is to build on what we did last year. I’m just trying to fit in and be productive.

“This (defense) is a hard-working group that flies to the ball. They’re very hungry and not complacent about what they did last year. It’s a very confident group that needs to continue to be tenacious and dominate.”

James has finished his first six OTAs with the Texans. He’s entrenched as the starter, and his coaches have confidence in him.

“We feel like we’ve gained back what we lost with DeMeco and then some, to be honest with you,” Herring said last week. “On top of that, he knows our defense and knows how to run the show. And he brings a certain calm to our defense.”

Phillips is entrusting James (6-2, 246) with a lot of responsibility.

“The guy’s a field general, the quarterback on the (defense),” Phillips said. “He calls all the signals and all the audibles. He’s familiar with what we’re doing and how we want it done and what changes we need to make in the heat of the battle.

“You need a signal-caller that helps everybody, and Bradie does that. He can tell everybody, ‘Hey, this is where we’re playing. I cover this guy; you cover that guy. The safety’s got him.’

“He knows the whole defense. A lot of players know their own position, but Bradie knows the whole defense. I don’t see much difference in him than a year and a half ago.”

That’s when Phillips was fired as Cowboys coach midway through the 2010 season.

Phillips and Herring recommended James to coach Gary Kubiak.

“He’s just what Reggie and Wade said he was,” Kubiak said. “He’s a leader, a very sharp guy. He knows our defense inside out. He’s got very good movement skills, and he fit in with the group right away.”

Meanwhile, Sharpton (5-11, 230) rides a stationary bike on the sideline during practice while James impresses his teammates and coaches.

“It obviously hurts him,” Phillips said about Sharpton not being able to participate in OTAs. “Being out there watching and being in the meetings is one thing, but being out on the field and doing it is something else.

“Some guys can watch and play, and other guys can’t. He played real well for us last year, and we’re hoping he comes back.”

Pencil Neck, tried getting him for you, but I can't either.

MSR

Got him

Great info on Sharpton, it also doesn't help that Sharpton is a bit undersized and his game revolves around his speed and quickness. Hopefully Sharpton makes a full recovery and this is a moot point. But I'm begining to have doubts.

You're a little jacked up right now, i know, but i believe your emotions have led you to be confused about what leadership is...

Leadership is not "calling plays" and "calling audibles"... Leaderships is setting an example for your teammates by playing your ass off.. leadership is demanding more from your teammates... It's helping them after they screw up, whether that's getting in their face or saying "we're gunna go out there and do it right next time, forget about it!"... It's cracking a joke at an unexpected time if the team is playing too tight...

Some teams have offensive linemen that are leaders, WRs, defensive linemen, DBs...are they all calling the plays and audibles? Hell, sometimes leaders are injured and on the sideline all year and still get out there and lead their team/offense/defense every game...

And what's with the emphasis on "ONCE" awesome defense? Do we suck already because Bradie James will be calling all of the plays? Seems to be a smart decision to me...

Back