Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL CLaims no economic impact to cities.

disaacks3

Staff member
That PR scramble involves a core question now tormenting mayors and merchants in every NFL market: How much financial pain will pro football cities feel if the lockout gobbles a fat chunk of the 2011 schedule, or devours all of it?

Warning: Finding the answer is like trying to read the scoreboard at the 1988 “Fog Bowl” in Chicago. The players union, citing a study it sanctioned, contends each NFL city will forfeit, on average, $20 million in revenue, fan spending and lost jobs for every home game cancelled — $160 million if the season is scrapped. The NFL, citing different research, claims the economic impact will be closer to zero.
Link

Funny, but that's not how they sold stadium financing to the cities...(including Houston)
To calculate the lockout’s possible fallout, David dissected and “aggregated” 11 previous examinations of the NFL’s value to local markets. The studies were conducted (or outsourced) by cities and development groups seeking to convince voters to pay for new stadiums to either keep or attract NFL franchises — including Santa Clara, Calif., Houston and Minneapolis. David declined to say how much the NFLPA paid his firm to crunch the NFL’s dollar punch.
And the NFL's spokes-*****?
Many officeholders – including the mayors of Miami, Houston and Baltimore – subsequently wrote to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, urging the owners “to create breathing room” with the players “for a deal to be struck,” and in some cases mentioning the hundred-million-dollar shock their cities faced without the game.

The NFL’s response to the union-sanctioned study? “The fairy tales continue,” league spokesman Greg Aiello said. He further criticized the union for “circulating unattributed research.”
Basically, their response is that (obviously) people will find other ways to spend their $$. Who says that $$ will be in their NFL city however?

Section516

Warrior
Eh. I call BS. My GF is a waiter near reliant stadium and is NOT a football fan. However, she is lamenting the lockout on football (and I told her NBA may be coming soon) as she makes over double on game days...