NFL announces new fan code of conduct

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Wolf, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...sgdsLYF?slug=ap-nfl-fancode&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. 281

281 Hall of Fame

"— Drunkenness and signs of alcohol impairment that result in irresponsible behavior."

yeah, good luck enforcing that one.

3. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

yeah, riiiiiiiiiiight. With all the beer sponsors and amount of money that booze brings in to games, I see this as lip service and nothing else. There are literally dozens of these bozos in the yellow lot after every game.

Will they kick out fans of opposing teams that are doing that to Texans fans?

I'd like to see them take care of a few Titans fans, not to mention some of the Saints fans that have been nothing short of obnoxious at Reliant Stadium.

Drew_Smoke likes this.
  4. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

Good, nothing about not being allowed to stand up.

5. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

This probably has something to do with all that mess at the Jets games.

6. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

That leaves a lot of room for interpretation. If a lot of people are complaining about others standing up - and the stadium personnel goes and tells you to sit down - then what?

They're going to have to start issuing a fan Bill of Rights with every ticket sold. Sheesh.

7. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Does the NFL really have nothing better to do, like say, oh, I don't know....how 'bout hammering out a new CBA?

I think teams already have their rules for fan conduct. I don't see the purpose of Goodell feeling like he needs to get involved. Total waste of time it seems. This guy is really starting to bug the crap out of me.

8. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

My guess is that if you don't do what the stadium personnel tell you to do you get kicked out. I would think the league would give them full authority to police their own.

9. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Good thing that's not a rule on this board, I would have never gotten past my fifth post. LOL

10. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I attended games there for something like 15 seasons...I think in all that time I saw maybe 3 fights. I did see one guy run all the way down the ramp and right over the ramp once trying to get a picture of a cheerleader.

NFL fans in Texas are well behaved compared to the rest of the country.

11. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

So the corporations send these "fans" to the game and these "fans" find there are no Mint Juleps that could hold a candle to that other animal competition they go to in Kentucky. Not only that the peasants are so unruly they stand and yell and have a great time while drinking their swill while they should be back at work. Sunday's are a working day after all if your job is vital to their pay.

So the bosses go to the head of this little NFL group and demand civility at these games or they will take their money and go home. Goodell, who heard only "take" and "money" in the same sentence, took a break from interfering in a team's in-house business with one of their players to issue a statement telling the riff-raff to be reverent or else.

Boy, these corporations would love the NFL if it weren't for the people.

Disclaimer: I'm tired, the rant made little sense, but it felt good. :tiphat:

12. Bob McNair

Bob McNair Veteran

I don't think this is aimed at Texans fans, or even Reliant visitors. There are some stadiums where most of sections have completely outrageous jerks spewing profanity the whole game. No reasonable person would take a child (or wife) to such a place. Not a problem at Reliant from what I have seen.

13. pappy

pappy Veteran

Hey it gets boring and a drunk cowpoke wanted to ask a girl out . He tripped and fell over the banister whats bad about that ?:photos: I have seen some bad events at games but not in reliant yet , unless you count bored kids throwing stuff ( mostly paper ) over the banister . In the dome however in the luv ya blue days it was very common to see someone getting the bologna stomped out of them .

14. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

what mess'd i miss?

15. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

16. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Well I'm a she not he but yes that was what I was talking about...it made big news last season and I would think this is perhaps indirectly related to things like that....

17. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Actually what the dude was doing was trying to race down to get a picture of the cheerleaders as they were crossing the endzone area where I sat and he just kept running and running and boom he went right over the ramp onto the field.

One of those times you want to laugh but you are wondering if he killed himself...as it turned out he bounced right up into the waiting arms of the security.

Let just say he REALLY wanted that picture!

18. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

Come on Blue, you know better than that. A Cowboys player has never taunted Bob McNair, nor has a Cowboys fan ever booed Bob McNair in his stadium.:winky:

It is sad that the league has to set a procedures guide, but I guess for the benefit of the whole the few who will do their own thing at the expense of the majority, then the safeguards are necessary.

19. jgl35

jgl35 Site Contributor

In Philly we call this behavior tailgating. It is the normal game day experience.

20. dskillz

dskillz Veteran

I agree. That is the reason I have never invited my mom out to a game. Not that she has never heard such language, but I am trying to let her see a good time, not some drunk dude cursing after every play. Actually, and this will sound prud-ish, the cursing and drunken behavior did really turn me off to the stadium experience last season. I tailgate, yell, clap, stand, have a good time, but as the season went on, it seemed more and more jackasses couldn't handle themselves. Constant barrage of cursing, yelling at other fans, being served more beer ended up being a weekly deal near the end of the season.