NFL 17-18 games?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by badboy, Mar 23, 2009.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Been fooling around in other forums thinking this had already been posted, but do not see. Team owners meeting are discussing possibility of expanding season by 1-2 games. I think it may be a ploy to get players union to work on changing CBA. Your thoughts?
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6331826.html

2. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I think it is stupid. I think both sides are playing games. One reason new overtime rules weren't implemented was because the union came in and said they didn't want games to go longer for the safety of the players, etc. Now owners are saying they want to add games. Players already get hurt enough in 16 game seasons and the product sometimes gets watered down. Besides pure money, it just makes no sense. I like it the way it is. As a football fan, more football is always good, but not if the product isn't healthy and is eeking through the season.

3. Polo

Polo Guest

I heard McClain on the radio this morning and it seemed as if this was a real possibility.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing an extra two games.

4. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Maybe they'll get rid of the last two preseason games if they do add a 17th or 18th game.

It would be cool if they had a regional rivalry game every year as the 17th game. It would be friggin awesome if we could play the Cowboys every season instead of every 4th.

5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

My understanding is pre-season game tickets are at regular games prices. There is no reason for teams to swap that I see. With 18 games would an additional bye week come in to play?

6. ChrisG

ChrisG Road Fan

if they are gonna add an extra game they should add two

one game, one bye week

and i love that regional idea, would love to play the cowgirls at least every other year

7. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I love the idea myself. 16 games is too short of a season. Could they leave the 4 game pre-season intact, but just make the first two games for rookies, FA's, and maybe guys in yr 2 only, or limit the number of snaps that vets can take in pre-season?

8. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

A .500 season blows, IMHO. Make it 17 games so you either have a winning season or a losing season.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
    False Start likes this.

9. Texaninlild

Texaninlild Hall of Fame

I wouldn't mind playing an extra game or so. I also wouldn't mind them becoming rivalry games played on neutral turf. (i.e Texans/Cowboys in San Antonio) We can also use this to audition cities who want teams, such as Los Angelas and San Antonio.

10. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

I would love to see more games. More than likely they would shorten the pre-season to get the games in.

11. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Without creating a new thread, here are a few tidbits from Kirwin coming from the Meetings that sounded interesting to me.

I can definitely agree with #5:
    I ain't buying it either.
    I don't think Pep is leaving Carolina either. Too expensive
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f6c67d&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

12. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Exactly. Why not? How is having two more pre season games better when players get hurt in those games any way and they don't even count. Having any more than two pre season games is just dumb if you ask me. The more football the better.

13. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I like the idea of adding two weeks, one a game, another a bye.

Also, the idea that the first two games (preseason) are for people year 3 or less is a good one.

14. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    More regular/Less pre-season sounds just fine to me.

15. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

As a season ticket holder, since I'm paying full price for 2 meaningless games, I don't have a problem turning one of those pre-season games into a regular season game.