Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFC Championship * Saints @ Bears

Well looks like you don't have to wear the Saints Avatar....lol...Unless the bears just stand aside and try to lose...Poor Elle, i know she heart broken...Would have been nice for New Orleans to win this one...
I sent her a Rex avatar an hour ago...her Saints had a great run.

I agree.. Bears have a great defense but I think they are going to the superbowl cause the NFC is weak and they had Home field advantage. And also, most teams who have a great defense and an average offense usually just win the Super Bowl once. But the great teams, the great dynasties have had a great defense and a very good offense.

thank you.....oh well the Texans will suck again next year so I'll just rub it in then....

Keep telling yourself that.

Ballance does beat great defense, I'll take a smart offense and defense over the bears. Thats why the Pats, Cowboys, or any other great team have won.

The Pats won 2 superbowls on offensive drives and the foot of their kicker

The Bears haven't won the superbowl yet.

The AFC is still the class of the league.

I agree.. Bears have a great defense but I think they are going to the superbowl cause the NFC is weak and they had Home field advantage. And also, most teams who have a great defense and an average offense usually just win the Super Bowl once. But the great teams, the great dynasties have had a great defense and a very good offense.

Key phrase right there, he said most superbowl champions.

Good one, The NFL has always been about defense, even during dynasties. It's been known for a while you could do this, the media just chooses to focus on offense.

I completely disagree. From the 70s on, there has been some great defenses(Bears, Doomsday, Steel Curtain) but for the most part their has been balance and alot of skill players to go with functional defense. The Bears and Ravens are the only teams that really have done it with a great D and a functional O..maybe the Steelers. Look at the Cowboys, Packers, Broncos, 49ers, etc. With the exception of the Pats there has been some great offenses with good, solid defenses but not spectacular ones. The Steelers last year had a tough D. The Patriots have had some great D players but they had Troy Brown playing DB and hard working players. Their offense with Brady, Branch and their backs were their equal. I'll take balance any day of the week. Look what happened to the Ravens this year. One bad game ends the year. The NFC is weak this year. The reality is that most great Dynasties didn't just have a great D..they had a great TEAM. The Cowboys, 49ers and Packers showed that. I'm not taking away the playmakers they had on D, but the D didn't make their team.

Ballance does beat great defense, I'll take a smart offense and defense over the bears. Thats why the Pats, Cowboys, or any other great team have won.

The Pats won 2 superbowls on offensive drives and the foot of their kicker

The Bears haven't won the superbowl yet.

The AFC is still the class of the league.

Nobody is saying that balance doesn't equal to dynasties, but defense Has to be present for a team to win the superbowl, But Offense doesn't nessasarily have to be potent to win the superbowl.

Oh, & your pats first superbowl was only made possible by that defense stopping "the greatest show on turf". The defense can score & stop the opposition at the same time. Offense is ineffective if they don't have the ball in their hands. That speaks volumes.

Keep telling yourself that.

Great QBs with good D's generally win SB's...

Winning SB QB's

2006- Roethlisberger
2005- Brady
2004- Brady
2003- Johnson (Pro Bowl)
2002- Brady
2001- Dilfer
2000- Warner (MVP)
1999- Elway
1998- Elway
1997- Favre
1996- Aikman
1995- Young
1994- Aikman
1993- Aikman
1992- Rypien (Pro Bowl)
1991- Simms (Pro Bowl) & Hostetler
1990- Montana
1989- Montana

I'm extremely happy for Lovie, This is a great day in football for African Americans in football.

pl_885426.jpg

pl_885430.jpg

pl_885035.jpg

pl_885413.jpg

Bomb,

No, my point is that you can frame pure stats any way you like. If you can't handle that, then don't try to pretend you know what you are talking about.

VY is a great quarterback because of several things outside of his pure stats (i.e. leadership, LB's having to patrol his scrambling, etc.). You can say the same thing about RB...

I can hear the excuses right now. Here's how it will go.

Yeah, the turnovers killed us, but . . . we didn't do this either, or we didn't do this.

Can the yeah, buts. It was turnovers, and nothing but turnovers.

With a offseason dedicated to getting another WR, a good TE option and help on the defense, namely at DT, CB and LB the Saints will be even better next year. Those are the biggest holes I see them having. Wouldn't it be something if they could get a big name player like Clements or Briggs in FA??

Nobody is saying that balance doesn't equal to dynasties, but defense Has to be present for a team to win the superbowl, But Offense doesn't nessasarily have to be potent to win the superbowl.

Oh, & your pats first superbowl was only made possible by that defense stopping "the greatest show on turf". The defense can score & stop the opposition at the same time. Offense is ineffective if they don't have the ball in their hands. That speaks volumes.

Key word "Smart"........The Pats aren't considered great at any position, except maybe QB, they are smart and balanced and I'll take a smart team over a great defense with a crappy QB any day of the week.

Great QBs with good D's generally win SB's...

Winning SB QB's

2006- Roethlisberger
2005- Brady
2004- Brady
2003- Johnson (Pro Bowl)
2002- Brady
2001- Dilfer
2000- Warner (MVP)
1999- Elway
1998- Elway
1997- Favre
1996- Aikman
1995- Young
1994- Aikman
1993- Aikman
1992- Rypien (Pro Bowl)
1991- Simms (Pro Bowl) & Hostetler
1990- Montana
1989- Montana

Wouldn't necessarily call them great, & besides how many good to great QB's have been shutdown by great defenses?

Wouldn't necessarily call them great, & besides how many good to great QB's have been shutdown by great defenses?

Rypien was dominant the SB winning year, as was Warner, Johnson, Roethlisberger, and Simms in 1991. I'm not saying it takes a great QB performance to win the game, but it takes a QB having a great year to get there or win it. Those guys went to the Pro-Bowl the year they won it, with the exception of Roethlisberger (98.6 QB rating).

Dilfer's the only average QB to win it in 20 years, it's a pretty overwhelming trend. Hostetler managed the playoffs too, but was very good throwing 3 TDs and 0 INT in the playoffs in 1990.

Congratulations to the Bears for becoming the 2006 NFC Champions.

This was a game that could have went either way until Billy Cundiff missed that FG that might've killed off the Bears.

Key word "Smart"........The Pats aren't considered great at any position, except maybe QB, they are smart and balanced and I'll take a smart team over a great defense with a crappy QB any day of the week.

Really, none of the dynasty teams were considered "great" at most of their defensive positions either, In fact most good defensive units strive for cohesiveness which all but prevents more than 1-2 players standing out, so it's pretty much the same as offense. Just depends on the teams identity. The exception to that is the steelers of the 70's & maybe the 49ers of the 80's.

Furthermore, i wouldn't necessarily call Rex a crappy QB, just not of the caliber of Aikman, Montana etc.

Rypien was dominant the SB winning year, as was Warner, Johnson, Roethlisberger, and Simms in 1991. I'm not saying it takes a great QB performance to win the game, but it takes a QB having a great year to get there or win it. Those guys went to the Pro-Bowl the year they won it, with the exception of Roethlisberger (98.6 QB rating).

Dilfer's the only average QB to win it in 20 years, it's a pretty overwhelming trend. Hostetler managed the playoffs too, but was very good throwing 3 TDs and 0 INT in the playoffs in 1990.

exactly...I'll take my chances with the great QB....

Bomb,

No, my point is that you can frame pure stats any way you like. If you can't handle that, then don't try to pretend you know what you are talking about.

VY is a great quarterback because of several things outside of his pure stats (i.e. leadership, LB's having to patrol his scrambling, etc.). You can say the same thing about RB...

noooooooo, my point is that instead of just saying a guy is the greatest thing since PB & J's, I actually put forth a argument, not just call people "Son" or say they don't know what they are talking about, without even putting together a rebuttal.

Bush is a good player.........not great.
MJD is better.
J. Addai is better.
V. Young is better and his leadership or strain on a defense isn't even comparable to Bush's

This isn't college, everybody runs fast and Reggie Bush isn't somebody that can put a team on his back and carry them. He is a exciting player that will make a big play every 3 or 4 weeks, but can't pick up 4th&1.................He's nice to have, but I don't want him at #1

congrats to the 2006 nfc champion chicago bears!!! Bear fans..celebrate...Saint fans, great season and you guys should be proud of your team!

noooooooo, my point is that instead of just saying a guy is the greatest thing since PB & J's, I actually put forth a argument, not just call people "Son" or say they don't know what they are talking about, without even putting together a rebuttal.

MJD is better.
J. Addai is better.
V. Young is better and his leadership or strain on a defense isn't even comparable to Bush's

This isn't college, everybody runs fast and Reggie Bush isn't somebody that can put a team on his back and carry them. He is a exciting player that will make a big play every 3 or 4 weeks, but can't pick up 4th&1.................He's nice to have, but I don't want him at #1
I don't want Bush either, but he's a great playmaker.

exactly...I'll take my chances with the great QB....

Agreed, but noone has answered my question, how many great Qb's have been shut down or at least slowed down enough by good to great defenses in the playoffs/superbowl?

I'll start the list off with Elway X 3 & marino X 1, Favre 1, Tarkenton X 4.

Really, none of the dynasty teams were considered "great" at most of their defensive positions either, In fact most good defensive units strive for cohesiveness which all but prevents more than 1-2 players standing out, so it's pretty much the same as offense. Just depends on the teams identity. The exception to that is the steelers of the 70's & maybe the 49ers of the 80's.

Furthermore, i wouldn't necessarily call Rex a crappy QB, just not of the caliber of Aikman, Montana etc.

When Rex is on, he's solid, when hes off he's god awful and worse than crappy.

I think we agree on defense, smart defenses win, but a Solid balance team has a smart solid offense, defense, and special teams.

a well coached balanced team with a great head coach, QB, offense, defense, and special teams, will beat a team with a great defense, that struggles everywhere else.

When Rex is on, he's solid, when hes off he's god awful and worse than crappy.

I think we agree on defense, smart defenses win, but a Solid balance team has a smart solid offense, defense, and special teams.

a well coached balanced team with a great head coach, QB, offense, defense, and special teams, will beat a team with a great defense, that struggles everywhere else.

Well said.:ok:

Agreed, but noone has answered my question, how many great Qb's have been shut down or at least slowed down enough by good to great defenses in the playoffs/superbowl?

I'll start the list off with Elway X 3 & marino X 1, Favre 1, Tarkenton X 4.

You're right... I concede that. They're both necessary, good/great D, great QB. The NFL regular season and playoffs are such a grinder you can't get by with weaknesses unless you've got one of the best units of all time. The Ravens D was good enough to win it all (Jamal Lewis helped) but the Rams offense (arguably best of all time) wasn't enough to get it done in 1999.

So what happens if the Colts play the Bears? If Tommie Harris were healthy, I'd take the Bears.

Mario = a average DE.......our D isn't as good as the bears, AND almost every superbowl champion has had a great QB running their offense....so no I still don't understand.

I disagree. Mario was hurt for a fair amount if the year and in the begining he was still learning. He was on pace for a 9 sack season. 9 would have put him with the likes of Robert Mathis, Terrell Suggs, and Bart scott. These guys are not "average" anything. If Mario had a little help(like suggs, scott, and Mathis all have) he will do nothing but get better. Plus, you must also see what he was doing with a bad foot. He was still getting into the backfield and getting disruptive. I can't wait to see him compleltey healthy and hopefully with a threat on the other side!

You're right... I concede that. They're both necessary, good/great D, great QB. The NFL regular season and playoffs are such a grinder you can't get by with weaknesses unless you've got one of the best units of all time. The Ravens D was good enough to win it all (Jamal Lewis helped) but the Rams offense (arguably best of all time) wasn't enough to get it done in 1999.

So what happens if the Colts play the Bears? If Tommie Harris were healthy, I'd take the Bears.

I just posted in the other thread that i don't know who will win. Should be a great game though if it were to be. With the way the Colts defense has been playing as of late, they could be primed to go all the way. Manning just has to shake his nemesis 1st. I agree though if Harris & Brown were healthy, i'd take the bears.

MJD is better.
J. Addai is better.

This isn't college, everybody runs fast and Reggie Bush isn't somebody that can put a team on his back and carry them. He is a exciting player that will make a big play every 3 or 4 weeks, but can't pick up 4th&1.................He's nice to have, but I don't want him at #1[/QUO

What are you arguing about? there is no player in historythat was a lock in the hall of fame in their rookie season. I'm not calling reggie great yet, but his chances are very good that he will be great. You want people to say that he is overrated and that he wasn't worth the 50 millions. He had a good season. He only averaged 3.6 a carry but he had 80 some receptions. You wanted him to run for 1000 yards and recieve for 1000 yards because he is paid that much money. There is more evidence that he will be great than he will be a bust.

And if the draft was held again, he still would be drafted ahead of Jones Drew and Addai, you just have to accept the fact.

Basically what we established is that balance wins championships and that a team with weak offenses and superior Ds are the exception, not the rule. It is rare for a team to win a SB without a weak QB. I hope the Pats win but I'll take the Colts to win big if they get the Bears.

What are you arguing about? there is no player in historythat was a lock in the hall of fame in their rookie season. I'm not calling reggie great yet, but his chances are very good that he will be great. You want people to say that he is overrated and that he wasn't worth the 50 millions. He had a good season. He only averaged 3.6 a carry but he had 80 some receptions. You wanted him to run for 1000 yards and recieve for 1000 yards because he is paid that much money. There is more evidence that he will be great than he will be a bust.

And if the draft was held again, he still would be drafted ahead of Jones Drew and Addai, you just have to accept the fact.

I'm not arguing that Bush won't be a good player.........I'm saying at #1 I don't want him, I never want a RB at #1, especially in todays salary cap NFL, they are a dime a dozen.........period.

Yes Bush would be drafted ahead of MJD and Addai, but who is getting more bang for their buck, who is getting more production. Who is getting the better value..............not the Saints. Sorry, but if I draft a RB #1 he has to be a RB that can avg. atleast 4 ypc and pick up tough yards and be able to grind out the clock.

Sorry I don't want Reggie for 50+ million dollars at #1...........its just the way I feel.

Back