Next Week is an even bigger test.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Lurvinator11, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Lurvinator11

Lurvinator11 Hall of Fame

Okay, hear me out.

Yesterday, The Texans showed us they can do things that previous teams would have failed to do. They went into Denver, and beat the Broncos. Not just beat them, but destroyed them. Dominated up until the last few minutes of the 4th when Tate fumbled and gave Manning a short field. Even though Manning was on a run, We were still able to hold onto the ball long enough to get the win. We took everything that Denver could give us, and we gave them more. It was a win that set the tone for this season. Everyone played tough, including Matt Schaub. Dude went out, got his bell rung more than once, and kindly said "thank you sir, may I have another" Four touchdowns and a missing ear later, The Texans were on top and number one in the AFC.

That being said, We will really know what kind of team this is after next Sunday.

The majority of this board feels next week should be an easy victory over our division rivals. I am confident we will pick up the win, since Tennessee is not good at all. I think they have regressed from a year ago and they are lucky to get the win yesterday. That being said, this game could easily play the role of a trap game.

The hype in on our side, 3-0 for the first time in franchise history, coming off of a big win. The point is, if The Texans go in, and take care of business this Sunday, we will know what kind of team they are. A dominate one that doesn't get the traps. Even last year, we had a couple of trap games in there. Oakland, and Carolina. Both of those were at home.

I'm not playing the role of doubter here, and I am not predicting a loss. I just want to point out to this board, if we win, it will show the real progress this team has made.

Last week showed that we can fight.

This week will show if we can truly follow up and continue to take care of business.

2. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

This board needs a few permanent threads:

1. "Next week's game is a must win"
    2. "Next week's game is the real test"

like the Joe's crabshack "Free crabs tomorrow" sign

I agree that next week's game is important, but what could you possibly see there that you havent over the first 3?

We know what type of team we have. We are more talented than Tennesse. Win or lose, Im not expecting to see anything that will change my opinions at this point in the season

3. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

Didn't we win enough games like this upcoming one with Tennessee last year for you to know what kind of a team we have? Really? As long as Matt is under center I have complete faith we are going to make life hard on whatever opponent we face. More likely than not its going to equate to a Texans win, also there is a good chance we blow them (or insert similar team) out.

4. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

How about the team maintaining its intensity and focus following a big road win and not having a mental/physical letdown against a perceived lesser opponent.

5. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Thats awfully specific...

We took care of business at home agianst a perceived lesser opponent.
    We took care of business on the road against a perceived lesser opponent.
    We took care of business on the road against a tough opponent.

I just don't see why coming off the Denver win will have any impact on us at all.

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I'm going to agree with you gt2 in that I have seen what I need to see. Barring injuries this team will continue to get better and barring injuries can beat any of the other 31. Can we lose? Of course, but so can any other team. I want to see Kubiak put the stranglehold on teams going forward. I now expect to win every game. I posted before 2011 we could do that and this season we have an even better chance.

7. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

this game is not a trap game if anything 2 weeks ago the texans knew this game would be more important then the denver game Denver is not in our Divison Tennesse is

and yes in a crazy SHootout somehow tenn beat the lions and arr 1-2

bottom line if we can beat the tacks we can put them in a early hole and pretty much not worry about our divison for about 10 weeks

8. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I don't think the fans will allow them to take this game lightly. Reliant's going to be absolutely rockin. The players won't have a choice but to rise up and whoop that ass.

9. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I think exorcising the demon that beating Peyton in his house represents is a special case.

Maybe you're right. Maybe that's the sign we've "turned the corner".

10. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

It's kick the little sisters of the poor week! Yeah, that's what it is.

11. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I honestly think we turned the corner last year, game 1. We're well on our way down the road

12. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

If we don't beat them at least 41-7 like we did last year there will be panic in the streets! "Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!"

Vinny likes this.
  13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Girls should not mess with the football. signed Charlie Brown.

14. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

gotta have the pic dude...
    :D
    [​IMG]

Jackie Chiles likes this.
  15. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Pie. More pie is needed.

16. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Just like Week 1 & week 2!

17. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

It's the Tacks. [​IMG]

I hate the freakin' Tacks.

It's division.

Dial it up for division games.

It's Buck Fud.

[IMGwidthsize=180]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2754/4113007032_fb85a811d1_z.jpg[/IMG]

We need to step on them ..... hard. :pissed:

Giant Tiger likes this.
  18. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Mmmhmm. How you handle success is at least as important as how you handle failure. I've been watching football my entire life (like most of you) and I've lost count how many times I've seen teams follow a huge, emotional win like this with a week of being told they're great and then a flat performance in an "easy win" situation.

Yes, beating Miami and Jacksonville when they were expected to told us something about the Texans makeup.

Beating Denver on the road told us a little more.

Beating Tennessee at home the way they handled Miami and Jacksonville will tell us this team is level and focused. Getting good in the NFL isn't all that hard. Lots of good teams wrap up 5-11 to 8-8 records every year. Getting consistentently good is much harder. When you do that then you are on the road to Patriots territory where you don't run hot and cold all the time. You just come in and play your game every week no matter who it's against or where it's at. When we're there this is gonna get sweet.

Texan Asylum likes this.
  19. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

msr

20. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I wouldn't say "bigger" test, just another test. We have to remain even-keil (sp?). Its a division game & those are always tough; Tennessee in particular will be riding high off of their upset win over Detroit & division games are always tough.

In the Denver game, we showed up with our A+ game & ended with our C game. Now, No team comes out with thier A-game every week...we just need to make sure that our C-game is good enough to hold off our opponent until our B+/A game arrives.

long story short, we need to learn how this 2012 team deals with adversity.