Next step for Schaub: Make the playoffs

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Tailgate, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Link to entire article:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=4388743

:texflag:

2. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

For me, the next step for Matt Schaub is to stay healthy for an entire season. If he can do that we will be in great shape at the QB position and we should achieve the following step which is the playoffs.

3. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

I agree.

He stays upright and the Defense steps it up, Playoffs baby!

4. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

I can't help but think that last year he was hit in the knee and got sick. That's it. Missed games are missed games. Period. BUT, I'm assuming he'll play 16. I won't say "here we go again" if he gets hurt. I don't know how that's fair. I feel like he had alot more lingering little injuries in his first season. Last year, I just don't see it. He got hit in the knee. (TWICE). He got sick once.

I'm more interested to see how his turnover ratio improves than any of this "stay healthy" talk. He's got all the tools needed. Just has to put it all together. I'm a fan.

5. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

All we really need to do is cut down on our turnovers. Especially in the Red Zone. That and if Matt stays healthy, playoff time in Houston.

6. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Not having Sage should help us improve in that area.

7. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

If you talk to the stat guys, they will also say that the Texans look to be playing easier pass/scoring defenses this season versus last. "Look to be" because from year to year those numbers change--the Jets could be better this year versus last--but there's no Vikings, Ravens, Steelers on the schedule.

8. Dapper

Dapper Veteran

I really think this will be Matt's breakout year. The o-line is in tune with Gibb's blocking scheme and i believe there are parts of his offensive scheme we haven't seen yet. With an established running game with Slaton, and a defense that's poised to give the offense better than average starting field position, I can see him earning a Pro-Bowl nodd if we protect the ball and the Texans make the playoffs. That's the only way we can get street cred it would seem.

I tried to make a prop bet with an old friend and Steeler homeboy that Schaub would go to the Pro-Bowl this year. I wanted 5:1 and he wouldn't take it. Would that have been a stupid bet? I don't think so.

9. Texans Pride

Texans Pride Hall of Fame

At last Thursday's night practice, while getting autographs from the offensive players that were signing that night, someone said to Schaub, "Ready for the playoffs this year Matt?" Without hesitating he said, "We're going to the playoffs." Then he stopped signing, looked up at us, and with undeniable confidence, said flat out, "We will go to the playoffs."

It was a confidence and attitude I have never seen or heard from any Texans player, and it was an awesome feeling. The look on his face and the tone of his voice indicated he meant it from every part of his body, and that he wasn't going to let anything keep that from happening.

Let's go baby. . .I'm ready and on board!

10. TexansBlood

TexansBlood The CUSH!

This is the yr! Book it

11. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

It is obvious that we have leaders, some like AJ or Mario do the job at a tremendous level and just force their will on the opponent. Some just never leave the field like Demeco and Pitts. I think Cushing will develop into this category, but I want a QB that the offense, defense, ST and even the kickers look to. Schaub began this process by contacting players immediately after signing his contract. I want to see him cheering the defense on. Yes, he will need most of his time listening to the OC and Kubes but to see the QB patting a D player on the back and yelling stick 'em is what I want. IMO Schaub can be a top 5 QB.

12. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

That is the next step for the entire team.

Cut down of turnovers
    Score touchdowns in the redzone
    Defense gets to opposing QB's
    Defense doesn't give up a bizillion yards/points

Those are the keys to the season. Fix those four things and we are in. Quite simple isn't it? :mcnugget:

13. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

The thing that stands out about Schaub's leadership style the most to me is the way he talks. He talks exactly like Coach Kubiak and Lil Shanny.

14. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I didn't want to start a new thread.

Anywho, here's a bold prediction with decent comments discussing the possibility of Schaub's fantasy numbers.

http://blogs.rotoworld.com/Fantasy_Football/2009/08/another_bold_prediction_schaub.php