Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

News on D. Davis?

HOOK'EM

Waterboy
Has anyone herd any news on DD, is he going to be ready for this season? Are we still lookin' for another vet. running back?

TexanFan881

All Pro
ArlingtonTexan said:
hook'em I am going to change the periods to questions.
good idea I thought we were going to be getting some news. nobody really knows anything yet on how serious it will be twoards the season Hook'em but hopefully in the next couple days we'll hear something on his progression.

MorKnolle

All Pro
Don't know anything, I guess we'll all see Friday morning at 8:30 am, I'll definitely be there to see our guys get to work.

O.G.

Waterboy
Sportsfan said:
bring in Chris Brown, he wants out and it'd be good to stick it to Bud. :redtowel:
I would rather give the rookies a shot and see how there camps come along and who knows Morency might come around. He has all the same skills as DD with alittle more speed. He just doesnt' have the since of feel for the game. I like Wali Lundy though and at basically 6'-0", 220lbs playing weight coming from an team with the same o-line Blocking Scheme, I think he can flourish IMO. If they can't cut it, then go after Brown, Benett, A Train from Chicago, etc.

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
MorKnolle said:
Don't know anything, I guess we'll all see Friday morning at 8:30 am, I'll definitely be there to see our guys get to work.
Maybe Saturday morning to see if there is any of that "post workout swelling". The first full week should be the most telling.

DD's health is one of the higher items on my worry list.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Runner said:
Maybe Saturday morning to see if there is any of that "post workout swelling". The first full week should be the most telling.

Do we know if he'll even be participating? Or will he be sitting out?

GP

Go Texans!
Bring in Chris Brown.

He probably asked for a trade because he knows we're in need of a back.

Pigskin Porkers

Practice Squad
Domanick Davis: Will be Eased Into Practice

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Tuesday, July 25, 2006
Update: Davis (knee inflammation) is expected to be eased into practice when training camp starts later this week, the Houston Chronicle reports.

Recommendation: Davis is expected to be a big part of Houston's offense, though it's likely we'll see head coach Gary Kubiak expand David Carr's game with the addition of wide receiver Eric Moulds and tight end Jeb Putzier. As has been the case the previous three seasons, fantasy owners should keep an eye on the backup running back situation, which appears to be a battle between Vernand Morency and Antowain Smith entering training camp.

Malloy

Hall of Fame
Eased into practice, he should be up-and-running by now! I guess we'll all know in less than a week, keep them fingers crossed! :)

Rosewood

Practice Squad
HOOK'EM said:
Has anyone herd any news on DD, is he going to be ready for this season? Are we still lookin' for another vet. running back?
I hope he is well and will make the season opener..Davis is nice but he needs to stay healthy...with this zone offense, he is subject to gain 1500+ yards..

R

real

Rosewood said:
why do you say that buddy???
I just think that we will find another back that is capable of being a quality starter...i don't think DD is the kinda guy you miss...He is the kinda guy you say "oh well" about, and move on...

Rosewood

Practice Squad
xtruroyaltyx said:
I just think that we will find another back that is capable of being a quality starter...i don't think DD is the kinda guy you miss...He is the kinda guy you say "oh well" about, and move on...
lol...i guess i feel you on that...he is a great back though...he just get hurt often....he is not the power guy and coach K will get him out of that situation...I honestly hope he is alright and we find another back..two would be great..

R

real

Well If history holds true...Denver doesn't seem to place high value on the running back position...And IMO, DD is Good...not Great...The Texans don't have any "Great" players...IMO...at least not yet...

Pigskin Porkers

Practice Squad
xtruroyaltyx said:
Well If history holds true...Denver doesn't seem to place high value on the running back position...And IMO, DD is Good...not Great...The Texans don't have any "Great" players...IMO...at least not yet...

Wasn't DD all of the offense last year till he got hurt? You must be better then just good ,if the other team knows all they have to do is stop you, and you still bring it.

Meloy

Veteran
xtruroyaltyx said:
I like those "oh, well" backs that average over 1,000 yds on less than a full season of games for 3 years. I suggest that every time DD runs the ball, the fans scream "oh, well". In the new system, he should get 1200 yds even if he does miss a couple games. But this has been discussed on many other threads.:stirpot:

GP

Go Texans!
IMO, the wisest thing to do is get DD fully healthy before he ever puts on cleats again.

And IMO, he's going to need more surgery and a whole year of "easing back into the system."

We uncovered a hidden treasure when we selected him. No need in rushing him back and very possibly causing long-term damage when we can survuve a year without him.

I think you bring in Chris Brown, see what happens.

AFD1717

Waterboy
Meloy said:
I like those "oh, well" backs that average over 1,000 yds on less than a full season of games for 3 years. I suggest that every time DD runs the ball, the fans scream "oh, well". In the new system, he should get 1200 yds even if he does miss a couple games. But this has been discussed on many other threads.:stirpot:
I think Davis is a special player, but for the sake of the offense and maybe more importantly for the sake of Davis' own career, they need to find him some help. I'm not an A. Smith fan. Hopefully Lundy or Morency will step up.

Rosewood

Practice Squad
AFD1717 said:
I think Davis is a special player, but for the sake of the offense and maybe more importantly for the sake of Davis' own career, they need to find him some help. I'm not an A. Smith fan. Hopefully Lundy or Morency will step up.
you are absolutely correct...without any help Davis season will be doomed once again...

bulldawgtexan

Practice Squad
xtruroyaltyx said:
You are a true moron. We definitely wouldn't miss fans like you, if you left. DD has carried this team on his back. "Oh well", you're an idiot.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
gpshafer_1976 said:
Bring in Chris Brown.

He probably asked for a trade because he knows we're in need of a back.

Titans | Fisher says Brown is starting RB
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 14:32:29 -0700

Craig Tapper, of TitansOnline.com, reports Tennessee Titans head coach Jeff Fisher said RB Chris Brown is the team's starting running back and that he believes Brown's trade request may stem from a switch of agents. "I have not spoken with Chris," said Fisher. "That does not surprise me and that should be an indication of where Chris is (in this process). I could understand Chris wanting an extension. Chris wants to be here. So, him asking for a trade does not imply that he doesn't want to be here. Chris changed agents and new agents came in and they had a sit-down meeting and they want to talk extension. Right now is not necessarily the time to talk extension because we're busy with other contracts. They took it upon themselves to demand a trade and went public with it, so to me, I'm going to throw this in the agents' laps and not Chris'."
link

killeentexan

Practice Squad
gpshafer_1976 said:
And IMO, he's going to need more surgery and a whole year of "easing back into the system."

I think you bring in Chris Brown, see what happens.
So where is your medical degree from? Exactly what did you think when you examined Davis' knee?

Chris Brown wouldn't make it through 2 games with us before spraining his mangina

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
Runner said:

I've changed my mind. IMO, I think that Davis sat out OTAs as a precautionary measure and to save miles on those running back legs. I've heard he's a quick learner of systems so by paying attention in meetings and participating in training camp he'll be well versed in the offense and ready to go when the season begins.

GP

Go Texans!
killeentexan said:
So where is your medical degree from? Exactly what did you think when you examined Davis' knee?

Chris Brown wouldn't make it through 2 games with us before spraining his mangina
1. According to a poster on this board, a guy who is well-versed in sports medicine, DD's symptoms COULD be indicative of a knee with fragments or clutter left in the knee after surgery. This has been causing the problematic swelling, and it would require another procedure to go in and get it clean.

2. DD cannot complete even a basic walk-through without the knee swelling and thus having to stop.

3. What makes anyone think that the guy is ready for camp? Oh, because it's been a few weeks since OTA's and "now" it's magically healed? Right.

You don't need a medical degree to see that the guy's not ready.

GP

Go Texans!
Runner said:
I've changed my mind. IMO, I think that Davis sat out OTAs as a precautionary measure and to save miles on those running back legs. I've heard he's a quick learner of systems so by paying attention in meetings and participating in training camp he'll be well versed in the offense and ready to go when the season begins.
He didn't sit out OTAs.

The guy tried to do some reps of some sort (even if it might not have been with the rest of the team) and he couldn't do it without swelling occurring.

A dose of reality for all of us would be nice. And I know that the Texans P.R. deptartment (coaches and DD included) are trying to spin this as positive as they can, which they should, but we need to be ready for the very real idea that DD might be sitting out for a lot longer.

I don't understand why they don't just sit him out for a year, get him in for another procedure, and try to get on top of this whole mess. What's ONE season vs. never playing again because he got rushed back out there?

A clean up should take a guy a few weeks to recover from. If he has some scare tissue that needs to be addressed, they will know real soon. If he is unable to go this weekend due to swelling look for him to get scoped real soon and then be ready for the regular season.

If this is a chronic problem then sitting out the year will not improve it.

R

real

Meloy said:
1,000 yards isn't what it used to be...So thats why he is an "oh well" back...He is not on the level of some of the elite RB's in the NFL...IMO, we will find another back that can get atleast 1,000 yards...DD is not a one in a million type player...he is a dime a dozen...:fireball:

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
xtruroyaltyx said:
1,000 yards isn't what it used to be...So thats why he is an "oh well" back...He is not on the level of some of the elite RB's in the NFL...IMO, we will find another back that can get atleast 1,000 yards...DD is not a one in a million type player...he is a dime a dozen...:fireball:
I agree 100%. We could actually find a better more durable RB.

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
gpshafer_1976 said:
He didn't sit out OTAs.

The guy tried to do some reps of some sort (even if it might not have been with the rest of the team) and he couldn't do it without swelling occurring.

A dose of reality for all of us would be nice. And I know that the Texans P.R. deptartment (coaches and DD included) are trying to spin this as positive as they can, which they should, but we need to be ready for the very real idea that DD might be sitting out for a lot longer.
I know what you are saying and would have agreed two days ago; I think I was one of the people that talked about his knee swelling after workouts on another thread.

However, as I said I have changed my mind due to some other discussions. It is now my opinion that his injury wasn't that bad at OTAs. We shall see which reality is real very soon.

U4ikrob

Guitar Junky
About as close to the Horses mouth as we can get at the moment.

DD according to Kubiak

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2670

(on the health situation with Domanick Davis) “We're going to find out with Domanick. We were very cautious with him back in OTA’s and in the off-season. We all know that he has a knee that's giving him problems. We'll be smart with him, he'll be a one-a-day practice guy for us. So I think we're going to know a lot more about that knee and how he's doing probably here over the course of the next week. It has been good, he's been working well. Kevin feels good about it, Dominick feels good about it. But until we test it hard for about a week we're not going to know for sure. We're hoping for the best. We sure hope he's going to be fine and play throughout the season. Last year he missed what, five starts, so you always prepare for those moments and that's on every spot on your team.”

GP

Go Texans!
painekiller said:
A clean up should take a guy a few weeks to recover from. If he has some scare tissue that needs to be addressed, they will know real soon. If he is unable to go this weekend due to swelling look for him to get scoped real soon and then be ready for the regular season.

If this is a chronic problem then sitting out the year will not improve it.
Then why hasn't it been scoped already?

bulldawgtexan

Practice Squad
xtruroyaltyx said:
Once again, you have proven what a true moron you can be.

Beat it.

can solve whole problem DD is starting to have chronic knee problems, Buddy wanting to get best of us is jonesing for a chance. We trade DD to him for Chris Brown, Bud will force Fisher to play DD too soon injure him and we get an ok RB until 2007 draft.

Tongue firmly planted in cheek!!!

bulldawgtexan

Practice Squad
xtruroyaltyx said:
Fans like you are a dime a dozen.

Moron.

TommyS

Waterboy
is there anyone out there with a medical background that can explain why "non invasive" knee surgery is taking so long for both these guys to recover?

HOUSTON (Dec. 28, 2005) -- Houston Texans running back Domanick Davis had arthroscopic knee surgery and will miss the season finale at San Francisco

Kubiak presser July 26, 2006 HoustonTexans.com

(on the health situation with Domanick Davis) “We're going to find out with Domanick. We were very cautious with him back in OTA’s and in the off-season. We all know that he has a knee that's giving him problems.

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (July 27, 2006) -- Jets running back Curtis Martin won't practice when training camp opens July 28 because of a lingering knee injury.
Martin was placed on the physically unable to perform list, along with receiver Justin McCareins and center Trey Teague. The 33-year-old Martin had arthroscopic surgery last December to clean out his right knee, then was limited during minicamp last month.
Though the surgery wasn't considered invasive, it has taken Martin some time to recover. Martin and coach Eric Mangini were unavailable for comment July 27, when players reported for camp

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
I posted this in another tread, but there is news by DD.

If you go to multimedia on this web site you can listen to some of the players reporting to camp. Heading the list was DD and he looks and sounds good. I think he is quite confident and expressed his appreciation of Kubiak have enough confidence in him that they didn't draft RB.

DD had a twinkle in his eye. He's a lot smarter than people think. He likes to kid around a lot. The guy has a personality. If he is close to 100% we could be a real challenge for a lot of teams.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Rosewood said:
you are absolutely correct...without any help Davis season will be doomed once again...
I don't know about all that......... get him some help as in Offensive line maybe.

Emmit Smith, Clinton Portis, Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Orlandis Gary...... decent talented individuals..... who had offensive lines that would get them into the secondary untouched. for the first five yards of most of these guys big runs, no one touched them. DD.... he has to fight for 3 yards on most every carry he gets. That ain't easy on the knees.

I do agree that we should let DD take all the time he needs to heal..... even if that means a whole season. Because I like him that much, and I think he has earned it.

A. Smith, I think will do very well for us. Morency, Lundy....... let them take a few snaps as well...... I think our running game is going to be more than adequate with any of those guys. & I'd still much rather bring in more secondary help, than worry about adding names to our stable of running backs.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Ibar_Harry said:
I posted this in another tread, but there is news by DD.

If you go to multimedia on this web site you can listen to some of the players reporting to camp. Heading the list was DD and he looks and sounds good. I think he is quite confident and expressed his appreciation of Kubiak have enough confidence in him that they didn't draft RB.
I like DD, but it had nothing to do with Confidence..... Buffalo beat us to the punch(I think it was buffalo)...... and didn't we get a couple of Backs out of the draft??

aj.

All Pro
DD looked good this morning in practice. He ran well. I spoke with him briefly and he said he feels good and that he was glad to be back on the field. He looked really upbeat - even after practice, unlike earlier this year when he was a bit more guarded with his answers about his health. Now, what happens when the real hitting starts is another story but at least so far so good.

jerek

Pro Hobbyist
aj. said:
DD looked good this morning in practice. He ran well. I spoke with him briefly and he said he feels good and that he was glad to be back on the field. He looked really upbeat - even after practice, unlike earlier this year when he was a bit more guarded with his answers about his health. Now, what happens when the real hitting starts is another story but at least so far so good.
Great news. I like the guy and want him on the field for us.

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
aj. said:
Appreciate the news AJ.

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
Very good. If he can tell you the same thing next Friday things will be looking up.

cj5776

Waterboy
thunderkyss said:
I like DD, but it had nothing to do with Confidence..... Buffalo beat us to the punch(I think it was buffalo)...... and didn't we get a couple of Backs out of the draft??
I agree we both of you. Kubes and the boys were sold on DeAngelo Williams. The Bills up the bid, and BECAUSE OF CONFIDENCE the Texans did not response, not wanting to give more than a 2nd and 4th for Williams.

Lundy was the only rb and he was on day 2 of the draft, 6th round. I am really glad the way things turned out the way it did. Ryans only lasted until the 2nd round because of this years class of LBs and the chemistry of the RBs is solid. DD deserves to remain the feature back. Morency is a perfect fit to backup DD and ASmith is kinda of a stopgap so Morency can grow into that role. And Lundy will be a speical teams player, maybe return man and add even more depth.