New Power Rankings Texans moving up!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by srrono, Oct 4, 2011.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...9ers-make-a-splash-after-upset?module=HP11_cp

NFL.com
    Top 10

1 GB
    2 NO
    3 DET
    4 NE
    5 HOU
    6 BALT
    7 BUF
    8 SD
    9 TB
    10 WASH

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/04/week-four-power-rankings-2/

Profootballtalk
    Top 10
    1 GB
    2 NO
    3 DET
    4 BALT
    5 NE
    6 HOU
    7 SD
    8 TB
    9 NYG
    10 BUF

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/powerrankings

CBSSPORTS
    Top 10
    1 GB
    2 DET
    3 NE
    4 BALT
    5 SD
    6 NO
    7 HOU
    8 WASH
    9 BUF
    10 NYG

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2011/week/5

ESPN
    Top 10
    1 GB
    2 NO
    3 NE
    4 DET
    5 BALT
    6 HOU
    7 SD
    8 TEN
    9 BUF
    10 NYG

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

The Texans were actually #4 on this guy's list last week - the Pats moved ahead of them after falling several spots after last weeks loss to the Bills.

Title is .... wrong.

They did move up from 9 to 7 on the Fox list.

3. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

your right i was looking at 3 different PR and messed up my bad

4. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

duh...didn't read all of opening post.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  5. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

If you forced me to rank the Texans I would say they are 10 or 11. Contrary to popular opinion we don't have a quality win. We looked great against Indy, kind of shaky against Miami great and terrible vs the Saints and good but penalty prone vs the Steelers.

I'm still worried about the redzone. I'm still worried about our ability to get off the field on 3rd down. I have a lot of worries. There is a lot to be excited about but this is not an elite team yet. We are a 2nd tier team so far.

Mike

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

If the Texans beat Oakland this week and Baltimore on the road the following week, then I will be convinced they deserve to be ranked in the top 5. It is still too soon for such lofty accolades.

7. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Yeah, I'd put us in the 10-13 range until we win a few more games against better opponents. And unfortunately, that's about where I put the Titans.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Gonna be that much more difficult if 80 misses a game or two ..... Lets hope its minor. With 80 this is a top5 team , without him , its a middle of the pack team.

They really need to go get a legit #2 WR in the coming offseason.

9. fiasco west

fiasco west Hall of Fame

Disagree. They did NOT look terrible against the Saints. They went head-2-head with them and could have easily won that game.

TheMatrix31 likes this.
  10. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

That is really all they need on the offensive side of the ball. Draft a #2 WR and a later round OL (maybe a backup center?) just to keep the pipeline full, and the defense can have the rest.

11. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

I've got the full replay if you want it.

Mike

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I understand what you are saying, but so far this season is playing out pretty weird...... I don't think there are as many tier 1 teams as we previously thought.

Jets... nope
    Pats... they're not as perfect as people are expecting us to be
    Ravens.. shaky on offense

bottom line, the only tier 1 out there is GreenBay. Everything else is up for grabs.

13. jtexas

jtexas Veteran

You must be giving a lot of credit to the Titans ability to just "win". It's hard to think of any player they have that would start over one of our guys.

14. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Good grief. How many "few more wins" are some of you looking for? I'm not saying we're out of the woods yet, but, I thought the Steeler win was a decent one (despite the penalties).

I'm a little worried, admittedly, that we're being sloppy and leaving points on the table. But I do see some improvement. If anything, I worry about our moron head coach (but I did give him props for going Nino Brown on the sidelines Sunday).

Are we going to be saying, in the middle of December, "I need to see a few more wins" before we give this team any credit at all?

15. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

I was thinking the same thing, lol. I thought i heard most people say the Steelers game was a "must-win" to see if we're the real deal or not.

16. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

Power rankings are meant to rank what's happening so far this year.

There is nothing wrong with Houston being ranked 5-8.

17. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

Come on with this.

We have 3 wins, could have very easily had four. The one we lost was against perennial Super Bowl contenders, and we lost by 7 in a game we would have lost by 40 last year. Just because there are penalties (which is a concern) doesnt mean that beating the Steelers isn't a quality win. They were the AFC champs last year and still had a top defense going in. We held their team to 10 points for goodness sake. I know, I know, banged up OL and this and that. Whatever, always an excuse to downplay.

Look, I know people are scared into being skeptical. I understand it.

You talk about giving up third down but the only game we played really awful on thirds was against New Orleans. Those guys are, by far, the toughest passing attack we're going to face all year so I'm not very concerned about it being a problem in the regular season. If we match up against SD or NE in the playoffs? Who knows. We'll see. Right now, we're 18th in third down defensive efficiency. Not terribly amazing, BUT that's better than powerhouses Pittsburgh, San Diego, Green Bay, and New England.

I'm just sick of this moving-the-goalposts garbage.

"Okay! We beat Indy but they're without Peyton."

"Okay! We beat Miami, but they're not very good so whatever. We'll see what happens against NO, a real team."

"See! We lost against New Orleans! Knew this team wasnt for real! If we dont beat Pittsburgh, we're doomed! Same old Texans!"

"Okay! We beat Pittsburgh. But their OL is banged up and they didn't have Mendenhall and we committed a ton of penalties. I'll wait until we see happens against Oakland and Baltimore. "

18. The Pencil Neck

I don't care about which team has the best individual players. I don't care about the relative strengths of the rosters.

I care about winning and how they win.

I don't think the Titans are as good as we are. But they might not be that far off. They beat the Ravens fairly convincingly.

We beat the Steelers pretty convincingly even though the scoreboard didn't reflect that. (The score should have at least been 24-10 after the JJo pick.)

I expected the Titans to absolutely suck this year. The lockout combined with their total lack of continuity with their coaching staff, their change of QB, the whole CJ holdout thing, etc. I expected them to stink up the league almost as bad as the Colts have been.

But they haven't. As much as it pains me to say it, the Titans may be a good team after all.

19. The Pencil Neck

I've been one of the biggest Kool-aid drinkers on the board.

But that doesn't mean I don't get worried about every game. And that doesn't mean I don't expect the worst during the season.

We were 3-1 last year and feeling pretty good. We had some signature wins last year at this point, too. We had dominated the Colts and then had two major comeback victories.

So... I'm worried.

OTOH, considering how this team played the Saints and how the other teams in the conference have looked... we really might be the strongest team in the whole conference this year. There's not a team in the conference that is a sure loss for us. We can beat anyone: Jets, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Chargers.

Now we just have to go out there and take care of business. I'll be biting my nails until the business is taken care of.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I feel the same way about Gary as many of you do about the team .... what the **** does he have to do to get some respect ?

Top 5 offense the last couple years ? Check!

Top5 defense (points allowed - the one that counts) Check!!!!

Winning record 3-1 with the loss coming on the road to a contender - Check!!!!!!!

His players believe in him 100% and lay it on the line for him every week - CheckMate.

Mate in four makes you a moron ....

:chickendance: