New "more agressive" D

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Vinny, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Not improved mind you...but more agressive.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post?id=4018

2. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

That's what makes everything so nerve racking. The fact that we are blitzing and we only have one sack. Then you look at these other teams that are blitzing and stopping the run and sacking the QB.

3. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

I think it's a lack of effort form the interior lineman. If the pocket is collapsing from the sides, all the QB is doing is stepping up. We need stronger play from that position for sure. (not to mention a handful of other spots on the D)

4. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

This reminds me of something that Sean Pendergast said earlier this week. He actually checked all the press conferences of every new DC that got hired this offseason.

All but one were talking about "attacking, being aggressive, being violent, first to the ball" except for one....Mike Pettine form the Jets.

5. keyser

keyser Hall of Fame

One benefit to this defense, that I feel I've seen, is an increase in the number of hits and stops behind the LOS. I'd love to see statistics (anyone know where we'd find this type of thing?), but my impression is that we have quite a bit more of that. Of course, it seems like we've also had a lot more of the "breakthroughs" for long runs...

6. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

without looking at stats, i kinda get that sense as well. We're getting teams in 3rd and longs more often than any other year i can think of. Now, whether it's b/c of the garbage secondary or pass rush, they are converting them too much.

7. GP

GP Go Texans!

10-yard cushions by our DBs is the culprit, IMO.

QBs and WRs are just hooking up for those little curls and outs that are always there because our DBs are shuffling our season away.

If your DB is up on the WR, the QB has to get rid of the ball. The WR is in the process of trying to break away from the DB and get around the jam at the line, which means he's slower getting into his route DEEP ENOUGH TO CATCH A PASS THAT GETS A FIRST DOWN.

But our DBs are playing off their men and essentially wasting the blitz we send.

8. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Blitzing is nice and I think it's probably the reason we've seen more backfield stops and the umm..."no stops"...

...but I think two things are holding the D back. 1. firstly I think somebody has to turn the DT situation around. Both guys can't be sucking like vaccuums. That'll improve every aspect of the D. 2. I think the blitzes they've drawn up are poorly designed. Rex Ryan seemed to send the same amount of guys for pressure but what he did was overload the OL, be it up the middle or the outsides.

9. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Yo, New "more agressive" D, I know your blitzing more and I'ma let you finish but you still need to learn how to tackle and cover recievers.

gg no re and Porky like this.
  10. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

From what I can tell, we haven't been in a lot of 0 coverage, so I'm not really going to blame the blitzing for giving up so many big plays. It's execution by the players that is lacking... though I still blame the coaching staff for their evaluation process that has those guys starting for the team right now.

11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I heard that too. He said he talked about scheme and getting guys in the right place, etc and never mentioned attacking, aggressive, etc.

12. Texan_Bill

Agree with all points.

I like the blitzing but what I don't like is the coverage of our DB's and we've been very sloppy tackling (save a couple of exceptions).

13. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

When you have 5 or 6 men on the LOS instead of the usual 4, of course you're gonna see more stops for losses.

On the other side of the spectrum, if they burst through that first line, they will hit you hard 'cause you don't have enough men back there.

Simple fact of life.

And then when we dropped back, we really dropped back and played softer than Richard Smith's defense, imagine that!
    This shuffle dance is worse than the 10-yd cushion, Ima telling ya'.

14. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I can dig the blitzing too, but when you give a WR a 7-10 yard cushion it tends to defeat the purpose of a blitz (see Mr. Bennett).

Kubiak stated in his PC that there were players there on blitzes, they just weren't finishing the QB. Well Coach, it's hard for them to finish off the QB when he only needs 1.5 seconds to get rid of the freakin ball.

The Jets can send 7-8 on a pass rush because they've got Revis, Sheppard, Rhodes and Leonard in the back end. We've got Dunta, Larry, Moe and Curly.

RTP2110 likes this.
  15. Texan_Bill

But Dunta is a top 5 corner. :specnatz:

16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Kubes said last night that he was going to have the defensive scheme simplified. Hmm our guys are college grads and Okoye is pretty smart..maybe we should draft a dumb ass that can tackle.

GP and HOU-TEX like this.
  17. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

:mcnugget: I mentioned Dunta because he's the only one that hasn't been a total catastrophic failure to this point. Other than a couple poor tackle attempts.

18. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

:spit: Good point!

19. Texan_Bill

He aint all that in coverage either. Obviously it's in part because of the 7-10 yard cushion, but still.

20. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

True, ok maybe I should've listed our back end as:

Larry, Moe, Curly.....and their Mom?