New franchise tag (doesn't relate to Mario)

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Section516, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Section516

Section516 Warrior

While we have a moment, let's clarify an important part of last week's discussion about Chicago Bears tailback Matt Forte and the possible application of a future franchise tag.

As we noted, Forte would earn about $7.7 million if the Bears make him their franchise player in 2012. But along with many others, I wasn't fully informed about how the NFL has arrived at that figure.

As ESPN analyst Andrew Brandt explained for the National Football Post, the league's new collective bargaining agreement (CBA) changed the fundamentals of the franchise tag. It's no longer the average of the five highest-paid players at the position. Instead, it's the average of the highest-paid player at the position in each of the last five years.

Because it reaches back to dated salary figures, the new formula has actually pulled down franchise tag numbers significantly and made it even less attractive for players. For example, the estimated $7.7 million franchise number for running backs in 2012 is about 19 percent less than the 2011 number.

As Brandt notes, this change could also impact the Green Bay Packers' upcoming negotiations with tight end Jermichael Finley. The 2012 franchise tag number for tight ends is estimated between $5.4 million and $5.6 million, about 27 percent less than the 2011 number of $7.3 million. Finley at $7.3 million sounded doable, but $5.6 million sounds like a relative slam dunk.

Generally speaking, the franchise tag is a bigger advantage for NFL teams than ever. Elite players can be locked up for substantially less than before, and the lower numbers will give teams a new tool to prevent departures from good players who wouldn't otherwise have been considered candidates for a high guaranteed salary.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation

In regards to being the average of last five years, is that the number that the 16m for a franchise is based off of?

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Unless they eliminated the or 120% rule this is immaterial to Mario.

3. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

I don't see how the Texans can franchise Mario realistically. If they have the cap room to pay him all that money next year they'd be mad not to partially front-load his contract and make it more cap friendly in subsequent seasons wouldn't they?

4. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

Yeah, but Im sure we are going to want to sign Arian to a nice little contract not to mention Andre's contract kicks in next season as well if I remember correctly.

Note - Dre' will be the highest paid WR in the league next year.

5. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

6. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

The 120% rule still appears to apply

See pp 44-46 from the 2011 CBA (the link below is for a PDF of the entire 2011 NFL CBA if ever anyone wants it for future reference)

ARTICLE 10
    FRANCHISE AND TRANSITION PLAYERS

Interestingly, as you will see, if the franchise tag is applied more than one time, there are additional formula adjustments.

badboy likes this.
  7. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Thanks CND, that confirms it. Mario will be a 17.76 million dollar franchise player if tagged. That's expensive.

8. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

How do you get 17.76 M? Just curious, because (not that he is always right), John McClain thinks around 22 million

9. CloakNNNdagger

Either way, it would blow up the cap. Big quandry coming off his injury........sign for longer term and take a very huge chance vs. franchise for one year and take a huge chance.

10. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Sorry, I thought it was 14.8 million, but looking again it's 13.8. 13.8 million X 1.2 = 16.56 for F tag on him.

11. 97roc

97roc Veteran

I think we can all agree that a determination cannot be made at this point of the season... And I think we can safely say, at the end of the season, we still won't be able to make a determination.

12. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I like Mario, but meh!! Offer him realistic money. If he likes it sign him, if not let him walk. Just don't break the bank for the guy. There's other guys that need to get paid too (I'm looking at you Arian Foster).

13. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

By the way, while we're on the subject of tag money. Does anyone know if the salary cap will increase next year and by how much? I don't recall seeing any numbers yet.

14. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

Where are you getting the numbers from!?

And i think unless we get him for 10-12 a year we should let him walk, no one is going to trade for him with a high price tag and coming an injury....

15. CloakNNNdagger

The 2011 and 2012 season will carry the same $120 million cap. These are considered "soft" cap years because of adjusting for earned and unearned bonus calculations and :

Note that, as opposed to common thinking, the spending "floor" to the cap does not actually apply to 2011 and 2012.

link

2013 will return to a "hard" cap.

16. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Aren't we already on the brink of cap hell? I'm all for being able to sign multiple players rather than just one. Foster is more than earning his payday and I believe we have a couple of other guys coming up for new contracts.
    I say we take a Leach approach to this and make MW a decent offer but don't break the bank. The Joseph and Manning signings should be proof enough for that mindset.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

IMO, cap hell is when you've got a lot of dead money on your books for players who are either not here, or aren't producing.

Say we sign Mario to a big contract, lots of guaranteed money & pro-rate that bonus over 6 years. Let's say he gets hurt this year, misses most of the year, so we cut him next year.

Next year, 5/6ths of his bonus will be applied to our cap, we wouldn't have a choice. That's a lot of money for a player no longer on your roster.

18. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

IMO, cap hell is when you barely have enough money to pay your draft picks and have little to no money to cover UFA's and FA's. That's a recipe for being forced to play rookies and hope they play above expectations. I think we've all seen how well that works out.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Regardless what happens in FA next off-season, I doubt we'll start a rookie anywhere on this team.

With Brandon Harris not being activated...... our 5th, 6th, & 7th round picks probably won't make the team.

20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

516 what does he base his comments on? I see no link to the new CBA nor can I find one anywhere. As those that post on this MB are requested to provide links to support our comments, Brandt should do same. Of all the links I could find none mentioned any changes to tags. Not saying he is wrong but nothing proves he is correct.

ps, if any one can post a link to new CBA, I would be grateful.