New England Patriots - Not one win over a better than .500 team

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Hervoyel, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Someone told me this today and I'll be damned if it isn't true. They didn't beat a single team this year that finished over .500

Paper tiger? May just be.

2. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

That's pretty crazy. Hard to discount them though because they are the Pats but their D has been very suspect all year. It's amazing that they played 13 teams who weren't at least 9-7.

3. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

Interesting indeed

4. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Pete Rozelle is smiling somewhere. He loved him some 8-8's

5. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

if and that is one MAJOR if we get by the Ravens, we can take these guys.

6. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Yeah, but when you go 26-6 in the last two seasons combined up to this point, it's kind of hard to take that into to much consideration.

The thing that worries me about the Patriots is their consistency in starting out really slow in games especially defensively. The Patriots need to start having much better first quarters and starting out games better.

7. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Vs. Cincy (if they get by us, of course), I think they'd be OK down early. Same goes for vs. Denver.

But HOU, PIT, BAL...you pull that 21-0 bullshit and you'll be dead. Teams like that don't blow 3 score leads.

8. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Fascinating. I see it as they did what they were supposed to do; beat up mediocre teams.

I find it even more interesting that one can only end up with two teams out of the 13 on your schedule that have winning records

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

But wait, I thought good coaches regularly win against winning teams on the road.

10. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

yeah, but with their history it doesn't mean anything. what's more is that if someone is going to beat them, they're going to have to go into foxboro to do it &:

#1 & although brady's last couple of forays there in the playoffs haven't been great, He still doesn't lose very often there....period.

#2 the crowd will be amped & as poor as their defense has been, they'll feed off of that & likely be playing over their heads a little.

#3 After slow starts, the defense has usually stiffened late in the games when they've had to.

11. Texecutioner

Exactly, and like I said when you look at last season and this season combined, they've got a record of 26-6. That's from only two losses last season in which they smacked the Steelers and the Jets in that regular season and barely lost to the Jets in the playoffs giving them 3 losses last season out of 17 games. This season they lose one more game going 13-3. I think they've gone beyond proving that they're an elite team that can beat top teams. It's an interesting stat on the forefront, but like you say when it's the Patriots and Tom Brady who have an entire decade of history where they have beaten top teams, this stat doesn't mean much.

12. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I agree. I just find it interesting that their season went down like that. I would have thought in 16 games you would have to run into at least one opponent who finished better than .500 (and beat them) but I guess I would have thought wrong.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  13. Texecutioner

Yeah, that's some strange luck right there. I definitely wouldn't have realized it unless I heard it being mentioned on ESPN. I think the Steelers have the best chance going into the playoffs this year if Ben is standing tall, but if Ben's ankle keeps hurting him, I think Brady can do enough this year to take the AFC since they'll have both games at home at Foxborough.

14. gary

gary Hall of Fame

All starts a new in the playoffs.

15. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

They beat a whole lot of 8-8 teams - Jets x2, Raiders, Cowboys, Denver, Philly, San Diego. The two teams they played with winning records were the Giants and Steelers. It's kind of hard to improve that stat if your opponents aren't very good.

In contrast, the Texans were 4-3 against teams over .500 - Wins Pitt, Cincy, Titans, Falcons - Loss Saints, Ravens, Titans

16. Texecutioner

Stylistically the Patriots are an awful match up for the Texans. That would be the toughest match up for the Texans in the AFC in my eyes with our offense looking the way it is. You've got to keep Tom Brady off the field to beat the Patriots.

17. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I agree it would be a total nightmare just trying to cover those 2 TE's. none of our LB's including cushing could cover either 1 of them & unless we're getting to Brady that'd be easy pickings. Welker, would be abusing McCain/Jackson at will & our offense just couldn't keep up with them.

18. Texecutioner

That's exactly how I see it. The current Texans just aren't built well to compete with how the Patriots play right now. Tom Brady would put up points on us, and I don't see the Texans staying on the field long when the Patriots would know that we're needing to throw the ball and can game plan for it with the advantage of having to stop Yates or Delhomme.

19. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I think Wade will send the kitchen sink at Brady. He can be vunerable to heavy pressure. If we jam those WRs and TEs at the line while sending Cushing and/or DeMeco on blitzes, we can disrupt that offense. There's a reason their losses came at the hands of teams with good pass rushes.

On offense, I wonder if the Pats can deal with our running attack. If they can't (and I know that may be a big IF), we can keep Brady on the sidelines with steady doses of Foster & Tate - and thereby resting our defense - we can stay with them. That's how we beat Manning. That's how we can possibly beat Brady.

20. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

"Hold on now. Let's not start sucking each other's (bleep)s just yet."

Winston Wolf

They have to beat Cincinati FIRST.