New DB?!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by johnny_tlmn, Jul 2, 2006.

1. johnny_tlmn

johnny_tlmn Guest

The Texans made a mistake passing on Bing and Lowry (DB's) in the draft and taking a 6'3'' Owen Daniels (TE) in the fourth round. Don't forget they passed up Ko Simpson on that pick too, I thought he would've been the obvious choice. Everyone knows our DB's were probably the weakest part of our team last year. There was a lot said about Buchanon and his lack of ability. Even by his teamate and fellow CB Robinson. But in reality Buchanon was Robinson's best friend last year. If it hadn't been for Buchanon's phantom tackling and being the lightning rod for the Texans backfield someone might have noticed Robinson's fall from grace. :yahoo:

Robinson went from a steller rookie year to 1 interception and 1 sack last year. Now I know thats mainly because they were too scared to throw the ball his way though. :lightbulb:

Instead of getting DB depth we took an undersized TE where we actually have a little bit of depth. The Texans coaching staff has an entirely different opinion of their secondary. Let's hope they're right..... odds are, that is the case.
    :poker:

2. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

Crumpler 6'2
    Cooley 6'3
    McMichael 6'3
    LJ Smith 6'3
    Pollard 6'3

I could go on and on...

3. wicked_wayz

wicked_wayz all blacks

yeah i too was confuse as to why we didn't get bing or simpson, but im trusting KB when he said that the DB were the strength of this team......

4. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

Kubiak likes our DBs.

5. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

The scouts, GM and Kubiak had all night to study who was left on the board when they made this pick.

I don't know at what point Bing and Lowry were selected, were they the very next picks, or did they hang around on the board awhile longer?

As far as selecting a TE I would have preferred A Fasano from my Irish..but we couldn't justify taking him as early as he went....:crying:

Hated it that the boys got Fasano this year and Julius Jones last year. My Irish loyalties definitely end at the Dallas/Arlington city limits.

Anyplace else would have been acceptable...:mad:

:coffee:

6. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

We liked our DBs as they were.. and we though Daniels would be a good addition.

Dunno what else to tell you. Just remember that we dont know everything going on behind the curtains. All i can tell you for sure is that our front office didnt forget that Bing, Lowry, and Simpson were on the board.. we passed on them for a reason.

7. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

All cornerbacks are going to look bad when you have no pass rush whatsoever and Vic Fangio running the defense.

I'm sure the 4-3 will bring things back to normal.

8. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

and dont forget that it helped robinson that A.G was on the other side, and that year we had an awesome DB core. Of course his numbers will go down when, we cant get to the QB and P.B cant stop nobody. BUT D-Rob is still a dangerious CB, and i expect him to have a much better season this year.

9. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

I'll just have to trust our coaches judgement on this one until they give me a reason not too...IMO everyone gets a clean slate this season...

10. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I wanted them to take KO Simpson badly, and it's still what I would've done, but let's wait and see what they can get out of Buchannon before we make a final decision. After all, we all know that our previous coaching staff was underachieving.

11. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Please remember that Daniels was selected because we also had a TE for three years that never saw the field and we didn't know what his status would be like now.

12. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

It apparently is about the size of the TE or you wouldn't have mentioned it. I bet if he was 6'5+ you wouldn't have had a problem, right?

13. Spoda

Spoda Veteran

i wanted bing with that pick as well...but only because our safeties are unproven...not because of our corners...i blame running a soft 3-4 zone with no pass rush on the bad corner play

14. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

The knock against KO Simpson is his lack of intelligence and game instincts. I think that is why we passed on him.

15. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Isn't DB one of the toughest positions to learn/play in the NFL? IMO, aquiring Db's via free agency would be the way to go. It's not everyday you can get a D-Rob type player in the late rounds of the draft.:twocents: I would think you'd want to get a proven DB that has had experience in the NFL.

16. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

why cant we let one of our own draftpicks gain experience and groom them to be a solid starter? i would much rather make a star out of someone we drafted...

17. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

That would definetly be the way to go if we were to draft a DB in the later rounds. For instant improvement FA would be the way to go.

18. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Since we have a young secondary and have showed no consistency, we have to address it in next year's draft if we do not see any production from them this year. As has been said before, getting pressure on the QB will help many of our problems on the defensive side of the ball.

We appear to be set at QB, WR, TE, DE, DT and OL. I feel that we still have question marks at CB, SS, FS, LB's and RB.

19. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

My point is that drafting a DB usually consist of at least a year or two of grooming, correct? I don't think it's very likely to have a D-Rob fall in your lap in the draft unless you're drafting in the top 5 (that's given there's even a good DB in that years draft). I'm assuming we'll be about mid-pack in next years draft. So, in order to see improvement within that short of time frame it would be better to find a DB in FA.

20. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

We will most likely not be a player in FA due to our dead money next year.