New contracts

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by badboy, Nov 6, 2018.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Perhaps I do take it personally. I spend lots of hours and then someone makes comment that seems to me to blow it off. I can take criticism but it needs to come with some explanation as to why it's fantasy (using your post as example).
    Point 2: post 215 "Amounts are for 2019 cap costs only not bases or bonuses or guarantees although I have."
    My post was to show we have cap space 2019 to make those signings at those dollars and I have offer example to post.
    Point 3 I guess you can say water is wet and Point 4 well I will try to not add to repetitiveness, if you will. lol I used the beating horse imogee with Steel in this thread.
    Point 5 and I will also clarify, the message I hope to present is we have the dollars to do each and all of these. All should realize that any player can say no as did Solder but I and others want to see Texans be aggressive this off season and spend. You may not have meant one player saying no brings down "house of cards" as in all my suggestions but each is self contained and does not depend on any other player, trade, etc.

Just curious, if just two of those I listed could be done which would you want? Exclude Clowney if you want as his probably will be one year tag.

CWTexansFan and FuzzyLogic like this.
  2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

It's bit more complicated...Foles had option to void his last year($20) by paying Eagles two million making him UFA but if he did (and he did), Philly then could tag him at $25 m. More importantly, Eagles could then trade him getting something in return plus avoiding him signing with team Eagles don't want him to. A third round pick has been mentioned. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/02/06/nick-foles-voids-opt

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Following offers if made and agreed to would be within similar players recent contracts with adjustments by me for age, history of injuries, etc.

Trent Brown Six years $90 million with $52 m guaranteed of which $20 is signing bonus prorated over five.
    2019: 26 YOA $16 base +4 = $20 cap
    2020 27 YOA $16 base +4 = $20 cap ends $32 guarantee + signing $20 = $52 m and can be cut/traded with dead
    2021 28 YOA $ 8 base +4 = $12 cap
    2022 29 YOA $10 base +4 = $14 cap
    2023 30 YOA $10 base +4 = $14 cap and end of prorated signing bonus guarantee.

*allows for a second contract beneficial to both sides.

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Above I allowed $20 m for 2019 cap to sign Juwuan James but following is deal he should agree to. Note length and total same as Brown's but less guarantee and cap costs.

Six years $90 m with $31 guaranteed (older and injury) $20 million signing prorated over five seasons.

2019: 27 YOA $11 m base + 4 = 15 cap end of guarantee if needed cut or traded
    2020: 28 YOA $11 m base + 4 = 15 cap
    2021: 29 YOA $ 9 m base + 4 = 13 cap
    2022: 30 YOA $ 9 m base + 4 = 13 cap
    2023: 31 YOA $ 9 m base + 4 = 13 cap and end to pro rated bonus
    2024: 32 YOA $ 21 m but not guaranteed so can be reworked or cut

5. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

Well first post #215 was created after the "Ideal off season" thread was created which was my point. It doesn't matter and I really don't care, I mean good God have many times do threads get derailed around here, and it was meant to be tongue in cheek. Hence the kitty..............also I just like the kitty emoji. :kitten::clown:

I agree with not adding to the repetitiveness, though sometimes it is difficult, but to many on here post their draft plan or F/A plan as though it is what the Texans should do and they are stupid for not doing it. I'm not saying you are or have done that, to be honest I haven't done that deeply into you post history to know.

I will admit I made a mistake in presenting it like one player messes up all the possible trades. I should have been more clear that one person or group not playing ball messes up each trade or "house of cards". For example we tag Clowney but his agent says "Don't sign because we can get more because I know that team X just wants to know how many zeros to add and they don't care how long they have to wait." or Brown's agent says that he has a good deal line up but Brown says "Nope I'll take less money to keep getting those rings here in NE." It happened with Brady.

To answer your question if I can ONLY pick two I would get Bell and Mathieu. I would love Brown and think he would be great......on paper. The fact is that players that that look like stars in NE go to other teams and don't look near as good. I would say that is just down to BB being the better coach but its happened to other teams as well. It could still be BB is just that much better than everyone else but the fact is I hesitant to take anyone from NE, not named Brady, no matter how good they looked because something about that place just makes players and coaches look good.

Bell has had a year off now and while that can be a bad thing I choose to see it as more of a positive. He's had a year to rest and if he came into our system he's had a year to forget the Steelers system so there isn't any culture shock for lack of a better term. Plus since BoB seemed obsessed with running up the middle lets get a RB that maybe can make that work since Miller doesn't seem the type that can. Basically if you can't beat'em, join'em. Also I think he will have something to prove and a chip on his shoulder because everyone is saying his replacement was just as good and Steelers didn't lose a step

For Honey Badger, again I love players that have chips on their shoulders and feel like they have something to prove. Its why I wouldn't trade Watson for even Mahomes right now, Watson felt he was the best QB in that draft but he got taken third. Same with Brady taken in the 6th round. Everyone thought Mathieu was done and that the Texans were taking a big risk signing him to even a one year deal. The only one betting on him, not counting the random fans since I know someone will say "I believed in him", was himself. He had something to prove and I think still does. Plus now he has been in the system for a year so I think he'll only get better.

CWTexansFan, steelbtexan and badboy like this.
  6. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

My feelings aren't hurt Steve.

LOL

badboy likes this.
  7. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

• Nate Solder signed a 4 year, $62,000,000 contract with the New York Giants, including a $16,000,000 signing bonus, $34,800,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $15,500,000. In 2019, Solder will earn a base salary of $12,900,000 and a workout bonus of $100,000, while carrying a cap hit of $17,000,000 and a dead cap value of $24,900,000.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/nate-solder-7732/

• Soldier's deal was slightly richer on the guaranteed money with a contact term of only 4 years vs 6 on your hypothetical deal but still I'd say you are in the ballpark.

• Anyway the question remains outstanding: what will it take to sign Trent Brown ?

8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Demaryious Thomas cut so full $14 added rather than ten I predicted but he could return as health improves. He is 31 but recovered in six months from a prior achilles as I understand.

9. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

https://gbnreport.com/

10. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

I just don't see the Jags making an in division trade. I get they need the cap space but I think they might be willing to take less in trade from another team, assuming they do trade him, just to insure they don't have to play a team with him on the other side multiple times a year.

11. Hervoyel

Hervoyel BUENO!

Thomas has to decide first whether he actually wants to keep playing. Sure he says he does now but as he's working on healing up and getting back to where he was he could at just about any point in that process decide to retire if the rehab isn't where it needs to be. Finally if he does end up being able to come back he has to get through his head that teams will see him differently than he sees himself. Not many players can become an old guy WR in the NFL. It's just uncommon so he needs to show the world that he can do that before anybody is going to offer him good money.

If I was Thomas I'd look at a prove-it deal in Houston before I tried to catch on anywhere else. joining the team mid-season last year with Fuller gone was awkward but give him a camp and put him on the field with Fuller and Hopkins and I bet he could put together a season that could draw out some offers.

Presuming he could get around all those other "If's" first.

CWTexansFan and Texas Jake like this.
  12. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

It makes ZERO since for the Jags to trade Ramsey this year. If any of their corners are going it would be Bouye. Trading Ramsey only gives them a cap relief of $3.5ish Mil while Bouye would provide around $9 mil. Ramsey is the better player, it doesn't make sense to move him and get 1/3 the cap relief as it would moving the other guy. AND NO WAY IN HELL ARE THE JAGUARS EVER GOING TO TRADE RAMSEY TO THE TEXANS.... unless we offer them Deshaun....

maverick512000 likes this.
  13. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

He should just wait, and return around mid season to a team for a playoff push. No need to rush to sign anywhere, if anyone would even sign him so soon, he won't be 100% by TC just rest and rehab and workout. A team gearing up for a playoff push will need a savvy veteran receiver.

Hervoyel likes this.
  14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Not giving my opinion on whether he will return if healthy or not, just responding to you. He just turned 31 Christmas and while he might return this season let's say he doesn't but is healthy for 2020. He will have time off from rigor of football but may lose little physically; same with Bell missing this past season although with no injury. Thomas prove it year was 2018, not to get $14 m but to earn an NFL roster spot. His stats were good but more important he proved to be a vet presence on field offering a large target for #4. A healthy return and Texans have $ to bring him back and I doubt he could find better team to play for to maximize his skills.

Hervoyel and OptimisticTexan like this.
  15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Correct on cap savings but overlooking huge part called what assets a trade could bring.

16. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

Great post....and yes, I'm also a fan D Thomas. Let him heal up in 19 and since he's already mentioned he'd like to play on the Texans, sign him to a reasonable 2 year deal for the 2020 season.

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I'm hoping that Solder got all that money in an off season where vet tackles available were fewer. Trent Brown, Juwuan James and possibly Donovan Smith young very good players might keep market prices down when coupled with some OTs in draft. On flip side lower costs could add other teams into mix.

18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Honey Badger is UFA but has a child with step daughter of new DC Todd Bowles Tampa Bay. Is this relevant?

CWTexansFan and powda like this.
  19. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Todd Bowles was the coach of the Jets for awhile and the kid is 4/5 years old..why would it start mattering this year?

20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Uh you do know this first season Badger is both FA and has healthy season behind him?