Nervous about our opening game? Read this.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gtexan02, Aug 4, 2005.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8702112

Im really glad we face buffalo in the opening game. I think Loseman will be a great QB. Luckily, I think he'll be nervous as hell and make some rookieish mistakes the first couple weeks. Plus, given our DBs, a few INTs will totally unnerve him. Just my opinion.

2. jmantexfan

jmantexfan Rookie

I would be willing to bet the bills have considered that. To prevent a plethora of those rooky boo-boos from happening, the will really heavily on the run for the first few games like he steelers last year until his comfort level grows to where he can handle the full responability of running his offense. Our first game will be a tough one. We will win, but dont expect the Bills coaches to allow young jp too many opportunities to screw up, and i would not expect a blow-out against their D.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

He has been thru 2 NFL training camps so he isn't exactly a rookie. He is more like Carson Palmer starting in his second year than a guy fresh out of College.

4. texansfan88

texansfan88 All Pro

I'm up here in Green Bay and saw JP and Holcomb tear the packer secondary apart... beware

5. Vinny

I read Losman had a 80 yard TD run in a scrimmage.

6. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

The Texans defense in general and secondary in particular will pose more of a challenge than Green Bay.

The Packer secondary will be torn apart by most quarterbacks they face this year.

7. Vinny

I'm sure they will test Peek on the edge with play action and misdirection.

8. tsip

tsip Hall of Fame

"As long as we, as coaches, are smart about how we scheme it with him, he doesn't have to be the guy to win it"...quote from Head Coach. Sam Wyche
    (former NFL QB/Bengals Head Coach) is no slouch and has been around
    the league a long time and is the Bill's QB Coach. IMO, this game will come
    down to coaching, whoever puts their players in the best posistion to win.

9. Vinny

Great talent is more important than great coaching. You can ask the Bronco fans that. Shanahan was brilliant with Elway - he's not so smart now. Coaching is part of the equation though...but I see you say this all the time. I think the better teams are the more talented teams for the most part.

10. tsip

tsip Hall of Fame

Eagles or Patriots--which team has more player talent?

11. thegr8fan

thegr8fan All Pro

that theory will be tested by the Patriots this year. Having lost both their Offensive AND Defensive Co-ordinators this offseason to other teams, Belichick is even going to have to call his own plays.

It is going to be interesting whether it was the coaching or the players that have won.

12. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

i think football is more about the coaches than any other sport. you still have to have the talent though.

13. Vinny

Those are both two of the most talented teams in the NFL. Last time I checked at least. I'd rather have the Patriots cast of players if that is what you are asking. They have a better QB, back, and cast of WR's as a whole. They also have a better front 7.

14. Vinny

Belichick also lost both his inside linebackers without having the time to replace them. They have a lot to overcome this year.

15. jmantexfan

jmantexfan Rookie

This theory of coaching or talent cant really be figured by the Pats' scenario because they also have lost some of their talented players. if they do not succeed this year in their goals, a case can be made that it is due to the loss of coaching staff or the loss of players. however, if they win it all anyways, you could say that neither coaching or talent wins championships, but rather that every team has its time and the time of the patiots( same as the cowboys of the 90's and the niners of the 80's) lasted alittle longer than many other teams.

really not much can be clearly stated of why or how, whatever happens to the Pats this season happens because they have gone through so many changes this year. you never know, although it is very unlikely, but the Pats could be last years 49ers.

16. Vinny

If it was just great coaching why can't Shanahan win without Elway? He was considered the brightest mind then, but since the talent's gone, so is his Einstein label. Winning teams need a strong foundation of talent from top to bottom. That's why thin teams don't win much. If you have a strong foundation then you can seed that with a few skill guys who can dominate and you have a winning formula. The Pats have not been the same since Brady replaced Bledsoe....they have dominated in the Brady era.

17. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

In response to the Carson palmer comparison, he still acted very much the rookie during his first couple of nfl weeks.

QB Rating 1st half: 66.8
    QB Rating 2nd half: 96.66

Record 1st half: 2-5
    Record 2nd half: 4-2

TDs/Int 1st half: 5/10
    TDs/Int 2nd half: 13/8

If Losman has a start like that, expect good things from the Texans 1st game.

(PS: Palmers first start was a pretty solid one, 105 rate, 2/1 td/int, still a loss though)

18. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

See Holmgren, Mike.

19. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I agree with you on this one. The list of genius coaches that lose their thinking cap after losing a talented player is a long one.

20. TexasAggie

TexasAggie Rookie

JIMMY JOHNSON IN DALLAS VS MIAMI ????? :homer: