Nelson..or Landry..

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by redkoolaid, Mar 26, 2007.

1. redkoolaid

redkoolaid Rookie

At the No. 10 pick, if you had your choice between LaRon Landry..or Reggie Nelson..who would you take??

Me personally, even though Landry is a beast, and is probably more polished right now...

something tells me that Nelson has untapped potential, and will wind up being a better pro than Landry...

I'd go with Nelson...

Landry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bip9KlMxd04

Nelson:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zw7nxl4qa4

2. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

nelson. a more complete package.

3. real

real Guest

I like Nelson more than Landry, but that may just be my personal bias.

I wouldn't complain about either one of those guys, but what we lack in is what Nelson excels at.

Nelson is great in pass coverage and creating turnovers. Landry is good in pass coverage and good at stopping the run.

For our defense I like Nelson best.

4. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

Landry. He's a more DEFINITE FS.

Even though Nelson is probably better in coverage I think it would be nice to finally have a natural FS and Landry is the better playmaker imo.

5. real

real Guest

I think your observations are backward but hey, everyone's entitled to an opinion.

6. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Either player I would be happy with and both are going to be great FS's in the NFL.

I'd take landry over nelson. I actually like him for this defense better than nelson. Good in coverage (nelson better), Great tackler (better than nelson), good leader, 4 years of experience in the SEC, plays very fast in pads, hides the blitz very well and can be used up on the line against a slot receiver, stop the run, and blitzing the qb.

I think he's an all around more complete player. brings consistency.

7. real

real Guest

I might get flamed for this but oh well...

When I see Landry, he always has a blank expression on his face like a drone...I know that you can't use that as a judge for how a football player will play, but I see Landry as a what you see is what you get player. I don't see him as the type of player that's going to make big plays...I see him as the type of player that can capatalize on the other teams mistakes because for the most part he's going to be in the right place. I don't see him as the type of player like an Ed Redd that will take chances in order to make big plays....And his "blitzing skills" don't impress me...How many times did we blitz C.C last year ? 3? 4?...I can only remember one time honestly....

I see Nelson as having more of a natural feel for the position. I see him as the type of player that will jump routes and take chances in order to make game changing turnovers...No he's not going to come up and smack a Jamal Lewis type back in the mouth, but I'm not sure that's really all that important for us to have a FS capable of doing that. The way our team plays I think it'd be much more valuable to have a guy in the secondary that opposing QB's have to worry about all over the secondary.

8. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

fun post here:

9. rollinstone18

rollinstone18 let it bleed

Nelson seems to be more of a centerfielder than Landry and that's what we need from our FS.

10. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

whoever's available?

11. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

Landry hands down. He's bigger, just as fast if not faster as shown at the combine, great hitter, he can come into the box and play the run as well as blitz and is very good in coverage. The thing that most people see in Nelson is his risk/reward playing style. He is more aggressive in attacking the ball for picks, but he will also bite on pumpfakes and playaction more often. I would rather the player that has 4 INTs on the season and is only out of position say 8 times in a season then the one who has 7 INTs but gets beat deep 15 times.

12. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Landry doesnt play to his timed speed. IMO

Nelson does. IMO most of the people on this board overrate Landry's pass coverage and underrate Nelson against the run and blitzing.

13. real

real Guest

I agree with this 100%.

14. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

timed speed doesn't even matter that much with safeties...i've never seen a guy get to the ball as fast in college as sean taylor. runs a 4.5. go figure.

15. Ole Miss Texan

I like seeing Landry against the run and blitzing... if he is pretty darn good at that, don't you think smith would have him doing that more than CC brown how isn't as good as landry?

and in Nelson's defense, he didn't have a good timing at the combine but ran very well at his pro day..same as landry so he's not any slower (i don't know about their playing time though) see i am unbiased..lol

kast-good list of the safeties and who we'd 'trade for'. It'd be interesting if you did that for other positions like DE, DT, LB, CB..etc.

16. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Let the SS and LB's do the blitzing and stop the run. Let the FS cover the top and make plays.

17. real

real Guest

Exactly.

I don't want my FS regularly in the box playing the run.

I want my FS to be great in pass coverage.

18. Ole Miss Texan

Those are both good points. At this point it seems our CB's and S's do a lot more tackling than they should. But our team is getting better and hopefully that will mean each player can just worry about their position and not make up for other's mistakes all the time. lol

19. htownfoozball

htownfoozball Veteran

Landry. Our defense overall sucks, both against the pass and against the run. Landry may not be as good as a roaming centerfielder, but he's still very good in coverage and much better against the run. He's also a better tackler than Nelson. I don't think I've ever seen Nelson actually wrap up a tackle. He always tackles with his shoulder/body/helpmet. While Nelson is an elite centerfielder, he's not an elite overall safety. Landry is the better all around safety (although he might not be elite in any one area) and I think his overall skillset fills more holes in our defense.

However, I have no problem taking either player if we are dead set on taking a safety, because only one of them will be at #10.

20. leachmtb

leachmtb Rookie

One of my best friends was the starting SS while at Vanderbilt, and was one of the more athletic guys on the team. But, no one ever really saw how good he was because the FS couldn't really get deep. So, he wouldn't gamble on anything and would oftentimes have to run people down.

I think that Earl probably doesn't look as good right now, because he can't take as many chances with CC not being able to cover behind him. I agree. I think that a good FS will show that Earl is a lot better than he has been playing, and we'll begin to see more of his big hits like against (I think it was the giants, possibly Titans, but not sure). But, I am often wrong. But, IMO, Nelson would make the defense stronger as a whole, because I think he would make Earl better.