NCAA wanted to give Penn State 4 year death penalty

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Stemp, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8199905/penn-state-nittany-lions-rodney-erickson-said-school-faced-4-year-death-penalty

2. Blake

Blake MMQB

Like I said earlier, Penn State got off light.

3. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I prefer the punishments they got. It hurts the student athletes less than it does the school itself.

A 4 year death penalty would have been tragic for many of those athletes, and they had nothing to do with the problem. At SMU, the athletes were at fault as well

4. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I agree with Blake they got off very light. ESPN keeps ranting that Penn St. was punished harshly, no they weren't. 60 mil. in fines is nothing to a school that size, they raised 200 mil. last year from alumni alone during the scandal. 10 scholarships a year out of 100+ players on the team, 4 yr. ban from bowl games while their still on t.v. every weekend, and vacating all the wins from 1998 to 2012 does nothing to anyone. If you commit a 14 yr. crime shouldn't you get more than a 4 yr. penalty. Shouldn't the penalty exceed the crime so as to be a deterrent to everyone.

5. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I don't agree that the penalty hurts the athletes in any way, they are free to transfer to any other school without penalties. If Penn St. had been given the death penalty, just because they can't play their doesn't mean they can't play. If I go to a bar and they refuse me entry, it doesn't mean I can't party that night, I'm free to go somewhere else.

6. 2012Champs

2012Champs Hall of Fame

Just to explan the scholorship allocation you can only add 25 new scholorships a year to your team so long as the total roster of scholorships doesnt exceed 85. So the 100+ number doesnt apply and it certainly has an pretty big impact overall.

Also of note the NCAA's actions arent ment to somehow compensate for 14 years worth of crimes. The criminal court is to take care of that the best it can but no one can fairly compensate for the crimes that occured

7. 2012Champs

2012Champs Hall of Fame

Would you say that SMU players had an active role in the issues that SMU was punished for?

Would you say that Penn St players had an active role in the issues Penn St has been punished for?

8. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

this little snippet bothers me the most. So if they didn't agree to sanctions, the NCAA says they will really investigate and expose PSU fully, as opposed to not fully disclosing and exposing everyone and everything. If I had a kid that was hurt I'd want everything on the table...not some negotiated settlement between power brokers.

9. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

I personally don't think the university should face any sanctions at all, those in the know should be sent to prison, period. Its a criminal matter.

10. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

A 4 year death penalty would have been catastrophic to the economy to that region. Millions of people would have been penalized because of the actions of a few people.

ChampionTexan likes this.
  11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Excuse me,

When a football program aids and abets a child predator for 14 yrs, then said progam should face the most harsh sactions in NCAA history. That didn't happen to Penn St.

Remeber innocent childrens lives have been ruined and Penn St administration allow childrens lives to be destroyed for 14 yrs.

May they all get what's coming to them in the end.

12. 2012Champs

2012Champs Hall of Fame

I'm not sure it was the football program that allowed this to go on but rather just 4 people involved. Those 4 people are no longer with the school, one dead, one in jail and two with charges on the way. The NCAA is not in the position to compensate those kids lives for 14 years of problem. I have no problem with the punishment but people acting like everything should be destroyed seem a little out of touch with reality

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Paterno was the athletic dept.

I'm sorry if you think the head of the athletic dept. (Paterno) covering up for a child molestor for 14 yrs is being unrealitic/doesn't warranty the worst punishment in NCAA history. We will have to agree to disagree.

Do you ever wonder how many young boys lives were destroyed/could've been saved from a life of torment if Joe Pa had done the right thing and turned Sandusky in to the cops?

For the whole Penn St higherarchy to turn their backs on the victims makes me ill and the university deserved the worst punisment possible. Hell they aren't even going to be kicked off TV.

14. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Ok, but how does giving Penn St the death penalty penalize those that commited these acts? Your only punishing those who had nothing to do with it, those that are totally innocent in this matter.

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

It sets a precedent.

And yes players will be hurt by this, but that's the price they have to pay for signing with such a vile institution. They can transfer immediately.

16. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

You are punishing the SCHOOL, for creating and fostering an environment that allowed a child molester to roam free and prey on his victims for YEARS.

Do people suggest that companies not be punished when their leaders break the law that the punishment forces the employees to suffer?

17. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

But you are ALSO punishing the innocent people who depend on Penn State football. You are punishing the vendors who sell food, drink, and souvenirs in the stadium. You are punishing the mom/pop stores, motels, stores etc who depend on the revenue brought in by fans. You are punishing the bars where people go to watch the games. You are punishing the waitstaff who work at the bar who make minimum wage and depend on the tips.

I am all for punishing PSU, but lets remember a death penalty hurts the innocent people more than the University.

18. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

Except the players were not aware of this when they signed up to play there. Seniors especially, can't really transfer, since games start pretty soon and it would be tough to get up to speed on a whole new package and be able to play ASAP. I think all seniors should be granted an additional year of eligibility to allow them to transfer and still be able to play. Juniors and under can and should transfer out and would not require the extra year.

19. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I'm not arguing that SMU players were complicit in their scandal, they obviously were, and I'm not arguing that Penn St. players had nothing to do with the infractions committed there, the current players are obviously innocent. I'm tired of the argument that the current players are the ones being punished for something they didn't do. My point is that the players are not being punished when the football team/University are being punished. The players are free to leave with no penalties, unlike a player that would transfer under normal circumstances. They also get to keep their scholarships and stay if they choose.

As for the crimes and punishment, I'm talking about the 14 yr. coverup/crime by the University not the crimes of Sandusky. The punishment should be at least as long as the crime/coverup. If not where's the incentive not to do it again. If I steal/embezel a million dollars from my company the punishment should be more than a 200K fine.

20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Seems reasonable to me.