Natl' writer predicts 8-8 for Texans, blown out of division race

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by 76Texan, Aug 29, 2013.

1. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

2. Rey

Rey Guest

I could see 8-8 or 9-7. I think 9-7 is probably more reasonable. If we win 10 games that will be a huge win IMO.

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

So this roster is worst than 2012 or schedule or exactly what gets you to those numbers?

4. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

Really! Why?

5. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

6. Blake

Blake MMQB

Good question. This team is too talented and has too much experience to go 8-8 or 9-7 without serious health problems.

7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

Hate to say it but I agree. I hope I'm wrong though.

8. Rey

Rey Guest

It's just my opinion.

Doesn't mean I don't think we can't win a superbowl...But I think this years schedule is going to be much harder than last year's and I don't think we've significantly upgraded to counteract that.

But again, winning a bunch of games in the regular season doesn't mean anything to me really. Win enough to get in, and then have your team making plays at the right times.

9. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I would be surprised if the Texans fell to 8-8.

I expect 10-6 or better, provided the starting roster stays healthy.

10. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I don't agree with 8-8, but I'll take a stab at it.

No LBers. The best LB this preseason was probably Brooks Reed. Cushing is going to have some problems getting back to form, and that injury does take time to come back from. Remember Ryans didn't start to play like himself until late in the season. Willie Jefferson is a nice rookie, but he's still a rookie, and raw at that.

OL - I think the OL is going to be as bad as it was last season. That doesn't necessarily equate to more losses right off, but it does make it harder for them to be effective on offense, especially in the red zone. Ben Jones is not good and Newton is somewhere between bad and awful at pass pro. Brooks at RG might be a beast in the run game, but he's going to have some problems in pass pro as well.

Schedule - I think this year's schedule is tougher. '49ers, Seahawks, Pats, Ravens, and Broncos are all among the top 3 or 4 teams in their conference. The Colts are never an easy game, and Luck will be that much more seasoned when he faces them.

Schaub - sorry, I know some will disagree with me, but the guy is an issue. He's been off target thus far in the preseason, and last year's late season slide has done nothing to bolster my confidence in him. After 2011, everyone said the Texans were one Matt Schaub away from winning the Super Bowl. Well, the 2012 Texans got their Matt Schaub and there wasn't much difference in the end. He'll put up his usual stats, and they'll be just as useless as they've always been. Moving the ball between the 20s and settling for FGs seems to be what Schaub (and Kubiak) excels at. If Foster can regain his 2011 form, then some of those FGs become TDs, and that will matter. But because of the aforementioned OL, I don't see that happening, and then it falls to Schaub.

Safety - Manning is solid. After that, you have a 35 year old safety with a blown out hip that couldn't tackle last year, a rookie that hasn't proven to be ready for prime time just yet, and a special teams try hard guy that just can't quite cut it at the position. Oh, and a second round bust at CB being moved to safety to see if he can be salvaged. And Eddie Pleasant.

All that said, I reiterate that I don't buy 8-8. I could see 9-7 if a key injury or two happened (*knock wood*), but 10-6 seems more likely to me, and that should be good enough to win the division. 11 or 12 wins is feasible if the aforementioned concerned prove to be unfounded.

CloakNNNdagger and mattieuk like this.

11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

Damn, nailed pretty much every concern I have and why I think we'll go 8-8 except for a couple. First is Kubes is not going to be able to adapt and beat elite teams and we have too many of them on our schedule. The other is our special teams continues to look awful and Kubes and company of course never addressed it besides adding a freaking ST Assistant so we'll be getting sucky ass special teams again thanks to Kubes and his idiotic blind loyalties.

12. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

The Pats still have a lot of problems on Defense and Brady had lost a few weapons (Welker, Hernandez, and Woodhead).

With Von Miller suspended for the first six games (who knows what shape he's going to be in upon his return), the recent injury to Bailey and Wolfe, it's easy to see that the Broncos could lose a couple of games right off the bat against the Ravens and the Giants. One of two other teams might just pull out a win against a Miller-less defense that has basically little to no pass pressure anywhere else now that Dummervil is gone.
    Upon his return, Miller will be in Indianapolis.
    Then they will face RGIII at home before a meeting with Rivers in SD.
    The Broncos are likely to have a 7-4 or 6-5 record during that period with two games on the road against the Pats and the Texans to follow.

13. Rey

Rey Guest

What does any of that have to do with the Texans record?

14. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

The chance of the Texans against those teams are better than last year, especially with the return of Cushing.

15. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

I can kind of understand you guys saying we didn't improve as a team from last season (but I actually disagree). Tell me what elite team in the AFC has improved from last season? Broncos, Patriots, Ravens have all lost players and have big questions marks up & down their rosters as well.

The only playoff team that has improved their roster are probably the Colts, but I still think think they're a year or two away from contending.

16. Rey

Rey Guest

I don't think those teams needed to improve. I don't recall those teams getting blown out by the same team twice with one blow out coming in the play-offs. That's pretty bad....I don't understand how one team is on such a higher level than you that they blow you out twice within the span of a few weeks. That's pretty damn bad thinking about it.

I think we did improve, but I think the core problems on this team still exist until proven otherwise.

17. 2012Champs

2012Champs Hall of Fame

Is this Reed you are pointing out? With 49 tackles 4 ints last year? on his tackles thats 3-4 above his career avg

18. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Teflon Rick must go

If the Texans go 8-8 with the best defensive player on the planet , the pink slips should be fast and furious .

Having said that , JJ doesn't make as much difference as Andrew Luck and that concerns me . Schaubs no where near Brady or Manning and that's who the Texans are competeing with

19. HouTx11

HouTx11 Veteran

I'm not a big fan of the schedule.

I'll say one more thing: if the Texans win only 1 of their last 4 games like they have the last couple of seasons they will NOT make the playoffs this time. This year they must finish with some wins.

20. Big Valley

Big Valley Rookie

You look around the AFC and you'll find glaring problems with all the teams.

10-6.