Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

"Nascar": Bill O'Brien's no huddle offense

I'm usually on your side of the debate on this subject, but not on Mr. Andre Johnson.

He has fully earned his right to discover what he wants to do. The guy has been on a terrible franchise his entire career that was an expansion team. He never really complained ever going through the Carr years and then the Kubiak debacles that happened every year. The guy has been through two 2-14 teams that have to be rebuilt. At this point in his career, I'd say he has been loyal to a fault. At his age, he deserves to play for a team that has a chance to contend for a SB or go into the post season potentially. He doesn't deserve to be on another rebuilding team. Unfortunately, he was really stupid about his pursuit to find a new team by waiting all off season to start expressing how he wanted out. He should have demanded this right before the trades and off season moves were going to be allowed when teams had money to use and assets to trade and all sorts of ambitious tactics to improve their rosters. AJ waited until this was all done and most teams were high on the cap.

Aj just needs to come to grips with the reality of this. He will. It's just going to take him some time to pout it off in his mind and accept it. Once he does, he'll come back strong, fully committed, and he'll be just fine.

I understand your point, but AJ is not the guy to be driving this point home with. He is the threshold that you'd typically measure all potential NFL players up to be.

My point is a contract is a contract signed by both sides. If he was demanding a trade or new contract i could understand him not attending but he has demanded nothing. OTAs in all honesty are no big deal but if training camp comes and he dont show up that is a different animal.

My only problem is that our team is learning a new system, and one of our biggest offensive weapons is not there learning it with the rest of our guys.

My point is a contract is a contract signed by both sides. If he was demanding a trade or new contract i could understand him not attending but he has demanded nothing. OTAs in all honesty are no big deal but if training camp comes and he dont show up that is a different animal.

My only problem is that our team is learning a new system, and one of our biggest offensive weapons is not there learning it with the rest of our guys.

He isn't demanding nothing. He is demanding that they trade him to a team that can contend for a post season appearance where he might be a able to make a playoff run with them. As lame as his trade demand is at this time, there is a demand that exists.

I understand your concern, but I don't think it's going to be a big deal at all. AJ has shown year after year that he can grasp new things and get better at his position. He does practically everything well. I fully expect him and O'Brien to get on the same page very shortly once AJ figures out that he isn't going anywhere and he's just going to have to suck it up for another season on an average team where he won't be in any post season run. Most likely any way.

I'm usually on your side of the debate on this subject, but not on Mr. Andre Johnson.

He has fully earned his right to discover what he wants to do. The guy has been on a terrible franchise his entire career that was an expansion team. He never really complained ever going through the Carr years and then the Kubiak debacles that happened every year. The guy has been through two 2-14 teams that have to be rebuilt. At this point in his career, I'd say he has been loyal to a fault. At his age, he deserves to play for a team that has a chance to contend for a SB or go into the post season potentially. He doesn't deserve to be on another rebuilding team. Unfortunately, he was really stupid about his pursuit to find a new team by waiting all off season to start expressing how he wanted out. He should have demanded this right before the trades and off season moves were going to be allowed when teams had money to use and assets to trade and all sorts of ambitious tactics to improve their rosters. AJ waited until this was all done and most teams were high on the cap.

Aj just needs to come to grips with the reality of this. He will. It's just going to take him some time to pout it off in his mind and accept it. Once he does, he'll come back strong, fully committed, and he'll be just fine.

I understand your point, but AJ is not the guy to be driving this point home with. He is the threshold that you'd typically measure all potential NFL players up to be.

Agree with this. I was wondering why Andre wasn't pushing back against the Kubiak regime (which destroyed this franchise) during the middle of the season.

He isn't demanding nothing. He is demanding that they trade him to a team that can contend for a post season appearance where he might be a able to make a playoff run with them. As lame as his trade demand is at this time, there is a demand that exists.

I understand your concern, but I don't think it's going to be a big deal at all. AJ has shown year after year that he can grasp new things and get better at his position. He does practically everything well. I fully expect him and O'Brien to get on the same page very shortly once AJ figures out that he isn't going anywhere and he's just going to have to suck it up for another season on an average team where he won't be in any post season run. Most likely any way.

He has not demanded a trade.

No there isn't. He has not asked for a trade. Not that has been reported at least.

He is just a whining baby right now. I could care less if he comes back or not at this point.

The real players are out there on the field ...

No there isn't. He has not asked for a trade. Not that has been reported at least.

He is just a whining baby right now. I could care less if he comes back or not at this point.

The real players are out there on the field ...

Yes, he did say that he'd like to be part of a team that wasn't in a rebuilding mode. He made that clear when he said that he didn't want to be part of another rebuilding acquisition. What does he have to be quoted in headlines stating "AJ demands trade" for you guys to understand that is what he really wants which is to play for a contending team at this juncture of his career?

AJ is anything but a baby. Dude has been one of the hardest working receivers in the NFL for over 10 years and this is how you repay him as a fan which is to bash him and want him gone the minute that he expresses how he really feels and acts on it.

Yes, he did say that he'd like to be part of a team that wasn't in a rebuilding mode. He made that clear when he said that he didn't want to be part of another rebuilding acquisition. What does he have to be quoted in headlines stating "AJ demands trade" for you guys to understand that is what he really wants which is to play for a contending team at this juncture of his career?

AJ is anything but a baby. Dude has been one of the hardest working receivers in the NFL for over 10 years and this is how you repay him as a fan which is to bash him and want him gone the minute that he expresses how he really feels and acts on it.

Everyone has wants, that dont mean we quit doing what we are doing now to pursue them, well actually i guess a lot of people do (Key to why divorce rate is so high). But he has not demanded a trade, if he really wants one he will talk to his agent about it and go from there. Although he most likely knows a trade with his contract #s would be nearly impossible.

He isn't demanding nothing. He is demanding

So, I've got to read between lines that aren't even there to attempt to determine what you're saying here?

OK, first very poorly structured sentence: the use of the double negatives is code for the very first line of your second sentence which states: "He is demanding"

Secondly, all pure speculation on your part.

AJ's demanded nothing.

I have yet to see any quote of AJ complaining/demanding anything. Just a whole lot of speculation from "sources" and posters.

So, I've got to read between lines that aren't even there to attempt to determine what you're saying here?

OK, first very poorly structured sentence: the use of the double negatives is code for the very first line of your second sentence which states: "He is demanding"

Secondly, all pure speculation on your part.

AJ's demanded nothing.

What does he have to do stamp it across your forehead for you to understand that he wants to be on another team? Is this denial that some of you have that deep? If he was into this thing, he would be there. He has publicly made it clear he isn't into this thing, but has said nothing about wanting to retire. He doesn't want to play for a rebuilding team which likely means he wants to play for a team that has a real shot doing something big around post season time. He has made it clear that he wants to be somewhere else not only by his words, but by his actions. But hey, keep tipi toeing around the obvious all you want and use punctuation corrections to distract the point, but he wants out of here. Unfortunately for him, it's not going to happen.

What does he have to do stamp it across your forehead for you to understand that he wants to be on another team? Is this denial that some of you have that deep? If he was into this thing, he would be there. He has publicly made it clear he isn't into this thing, but has said nothing about wanting to retire. He doesn't want to play for a rebuilding team which likely means he wants to play for a team that has a real shot doing something big around post season time. He has made it clear that he wants to be somewhere else not only by his words, but by his actions. But hey, keep tipi toeing around the obvious all you want and use punctuation corrections to distract the point, but he wants out of here. Unfortunately for him, it's not going to happen.

ACTUALLY what he said was that he is not SURE this is where he wants to be :kitten:

And Im not whining,

Neither is AJ.

Yet, you said "but to whine publicly" about the guy.

Your perception is that he is whining.

My perception is that you are whining.

Some of y'all are getting too emotional about an entertainment medium. That's all this is to any of us, regardless of how many Texans logos you plaster on your stuff.

For AJ, this is real life. This is his profession. This is his job.

That some of y'all seem unable to be emotionally disconnected from another man's job decisions is just bizarre to me. Like you need to check yourself kind of bizarre.

No, I don't need a forehead stamp. It's just that I'm not one to state my assumptions and/or speculations as FACT. That's exactly what you've done here, amongst other topics as well. Seems to be your MO.

I'm going to go with what the man ACTUALLY SAID which EllisUnit posted for you verbatim.

He has not asked for a trade as far as anyone knows ... including you. You arent in his head. You aren't in closed door meetings with Smith or BoB. You do not know for sure that he wants, or has asked for a trade. What we all know is that ... 1) He said he is tired of rebuilding, and ... 2) He isn't participating with the team.

I am fine with him not wanting to rebuild. I am fine with him wanting a trade, if that is what he wants. What I am not ok with is him just not showing up. Ask for a trade ... retire ... or get your ass on the field.

Neither is AJ.

Some of y'all are getting too emotional about an entertainment medium. That's all this is to any of us, regardless of how many Texans logos you plaster on your stuff.

That some of y'all seem unable to be emotionally disconnected from another man's job decisions is just bizarre to me. Like you need to check yourself kind of bizarre.
"Now I'm on my third head coach, that's something I give thought to," Johnson said. "I just look over my career, is it a place? I've only been to the playoffs twice. I think we've only had three winning seasons, two 8-8 seasons. I don't think any player wants to experience that.

"... You go through a rebuilding process, some people say it's not rebuilding, some people say it's a quick fix. Everybody has their own opinion. But I've been through this more than once. When I make my decision, I'll make my decision."

Sorry dude, but thats whining. Boohoo, you made millions while being a teams first HOF and yet you're "unsure" if you want to stay here? Im grateful for the hard work you put in, but thats your job. You get paid to perform to your best and thats what you have done. Congratulations for not sucking?

This is becoming something more than it probably had to be. Im not trying to lay it on Dre, but I do think he should be at OTAs. Thats all.

Sorry dude, but thats whining. Boohoo, you made millions while being a teams first HOF and yet you're "unsure" if you want to stay here? Im grateful for the hard work you put in, but thats your job. You get paid to perform to your best and thats what you have done. Congratulations for not sucking?

This is becoming something more than it probably had to be. Im not trying to lay it on Dre, but I do think he should be at OTAs. Thats all.

I fully agree.

Neither is AJ.

Well said. I couldn't agree more. MSR!

I might be guilty making assumptions about AJ myself. No, he has not 'demanded' a trade, or anything else. And yes, he has contract, and he should up to that contract.

That said, all of us know by now that AJ doesn't mouth off half-cocked to the press. But he's been around this league long enough to know that if he does talk publicly, people will listen.

Though, he has not actually come right out and said it, you'd have to have the perception of a complete moron to not understand that he no longer has his heart in it. Whether they can work out a trade for him or not, all I know is, that based upon his statements.....

...... is that if I see him on the field this season in a Texans uniform, he'll be just going thru the motions. Now, some might think that will be good enough, but I don't.

Though, he has not actually come right out and said it, you'd have to have the perception of a complete moron to not understand that he no longer has his heart in it. Whether they can work out a trade for him or not, all I know is, that based upon his statements.....

...... is that if I see him on the field this season in a Texans uniform, he'll be just going thru the motions. Now, some might think that will be good enough, but I don't.

Well put me in the complete moron camp.

I know his heart isn't in it. That's why he isn't in camp. He's asking himself if he's got another season in himself, if he can go through this again. He didn't say, but I'm sure he's considered whether or not going to another team would help him get to the point mentally to play another season.

This is a young man's game & Andre isn't a young man anymore, relatively speaking. He's relatively healthy & would probably like to stay that way.

But if he does show up in a Texans uniform next season, because of the guy I think I know, I have no doubt that he will give us 100% effort to win every game, every snap. Because that's who he is.

This time last season, Tony Gonzales had made up his mind, that he didn't have another season in him, but his team mates convinced him to give it one more go. & they went 3-13.

It's not that uncommon.

I might be guilty making assumptions about AJ myself. No, he has not 'demanded' a trade, or anything else. And yes, he has contract, and he should up to that contract.

That said, all of us know by now that AJ doesn't mouth off half-cocked to the press. But he's been around this league long enough to know that if he does talk publicly, people will listen.

Having been his age, he is simply tired both mentally and physically. It makes one pause and evaluate where you are at. It is not a request for a trade, but a reevaluation of priorities in a search for a reinvigorated commitment to your pursuits. Don't make more out of it than there is. It's common, not prima dona behavior.

Having been his age, he is simply tired both mentally and physically.

Understanding NFL players - especially RB's - age in dog years, he is only 32 and coming of two of the most productive seasons of his entire career. 221 receptions and 3,000 yards.

IMHO, this has nothing to do with him not physically being able to go. There is nothing that says he can't duplicate those stats again this year. It's not about him wanting to play, his desire or his character. He is a competitor and knows he is one solid season away from being Top 5 All Time among receivers.

It's about the risk of doing that and not having any chance to get to a SB. Rarely does a no-brainer HoFer in any sport, that spent most of his career on poor, average or never-good-enough teams, NOT try to go to a contender in the later stages of their career to put the crowning team victory on their individual accomplishments. (see: Drexler, Clyde)

It's about the risk of doing that and not having any chance to get to a SB. Rarely does a no-brainer HoFer in any sport, that spent most of his career on poor, average or never-good-enough teams, NOT try to go to a contender in the later stages of their career to put the crowning team victory on their individual accomplishments. (see: Drexler, Clyde)

If this were the NBA, I'd agree with you. I can't think of a time when an NFL player has jumped teams looking for a ring & getting one. Too much parity in the league & the season is way too short.

If AJ retires right now, he is NOT a HOF. As much as I like they guy and want him to be the first Texan in the HOF, his #'s as they stand are not HOF worthy.

#14 Career Receptions with 927; LINK
#17 Career Receiving Yards 12,661; LINK
#68 Career Receiving Touchdowns 61; LINK

If AJ retires right now, he is NOT a HOF. As much as I like they guy and want him to be the first Texan in the HOF, his #'s as they stand are not HOF worthy.

So if we want to look at compilation and not years played, here is what you have

55 receptions from passing #10 Randy Moss
97 receptions from passing #7 Isaac Bruce

1,116 yards from passing #10 Henry Ellard
1,343 yards from passing #8 James Lofton

97/1343 is a pretty significant decreased from his performance the last two years. Would you agree that one more "average" season puts his Hall status above question?

That being said, AJ has played 11 seasons. EVERY SINGLE PLAYER ahead of him on the All-Time list played at LEAST 13 seasons, with several playing 15 seasons.

Andre owns or shares the NFL record for 100 reception seasons, 1500 yard seasons, 10/100 games and a few others. He was the 6th fastest receiver in the history of the NFL to reach 10K yards. He was the 2nd fastest receiver in the history of the NFL to reach 900 receptions.

As far as TD's go, that is more system than it is AJ. But that being said, 5 more TD's in his career and he passes SIX receivers who are all in the HoF.

There is nothing about AJ's individual performances that state he would not be a viable Hall candidate right now today.

There is a whole thread dedicated to AJ HoF discussion. Please take that discussion there.

Edit, or I should say here - Link

So if we want to look at compilation and not years played, here is what you have

55 receptions from passing #10 Randy Moss
97 receptions from passing #7 Isaac Bruce

1,116 yards from passing #10 Henry Ellard
1,343 yards from passing #8 James Lofton

97/1343 is a pretty significant decreased from his performance the last two years. Would you agree that one more "average" season puts his Hall status above question?

That being said, AJ has played 11 seasons. EVERY SINGLE PLAYER ahead of him on the All-Time list played at LEAST 13 seasons, with several playing 15 seasons.

Andre owns or shares the NFL record for 100 reception seasons, 1500 yard seasons, 10/100 games and a few others. He was the 6th fastest receiver in the history of the NFL to reach 10K yards. He was the 2nd fastest receiver in the history of the NFL to reach 900 receptions.

As far as TD's go, that is more system than it is AJ. But that being said, 5 more TD's in his career and he passes SIX receivers who are all in the HoF.

There is nothing about AJ's individual performances that state he would not be a viable Hall candidate right now today.

You can't compare his numbers in a passing era to guys in a run dominated era.

Every player is a canidate for the HOF. AJ's line number is currently behind a lot of other guys is all I'm saying. Not a automatic in since we have no HOF'ers.

There is a whole thread dedicated to AJ HoF discussion. Please take that discussion there.

Edit, or I should say here - Link

And this entire thread has been off subject since page 1. AJ' and his no show to OTA' show has been the de facto topic and not " "Nascar": Bill O'Brien's no huddle offense Reply to Thread". Maybe all those convos should be moved too?

Hey, man, you are free to believe whatever you choose to believe, and the rest of us are free to agree or disagree.

That said, your thoughts appear to me to be the type fan that Tate was talking about last season.

No disrespect intended, but this is how your attitude comes across to many of us.

Having been his age, he is simply tired both mentally and physically. It makes one pause and evaluate where you are at. It is not a request for a trade, but a reevaluation of priorities in a search for a reinvigorated commitment to your pursuits. Don't make more out of it than there is. It's common, not prima dona behavior.

Well said, man. I do not understand the inability by some fans to cut AJ some slack after his 11 years of dedication to this franchise.

I agree. And I kinda' figure this was AJ's point. He's burned out. He spent a potential HoF career and his elite talent with a franchise that cannot find its way. I don't fault the guy for not being sure if he wants to keep doing it or not. He could retire today in decent health and a multimillionaire. I would not blame him if he did. Barry Sanders seems at peace with himself.

The competitor in him wants to keep on going. He wants to win.
Meanwhile, his logic center is telling him...
"Here we go again, starting over. The last time it took 5-6 years just to be competitive - just to make it to two lousy playoff games. Then it all went to crap in a heartbeat. Do I have that left in me?"

It's a legitimate question at this point in his career.

TK's Tony Gonzalez comparison is spot on. He gave his all for KC for twelve seasons and in 2008, when it looked like KC wasn't going anywhere (they also finished 2-14 that season), he asked to be traded to a contender.

AJ is at the same sort of crossroads. Except he hasn't asked to be traded.
It's not whining.
It's crossroads decision time.
And its not a decision to be made lightly or in a hurry.

That said, your thoughts appear to me to be the type fan that Tate was talking about last season.

No disrespect intended, but this is how your attitude comes across to many of us.

Well said. Perfectly said.

I might end up being wrong, but I think the front office is doing everything it possibly can to get AJ the hell out of here, despite the difficulty of the numbers.

Whether his heart is not in it, whether he's burnt out, whether he's just fed up, it doesn't matter. Perception is everything. And if he does come back, whether he just stands on the sidelines the whole time, or he's out on the field playing, there will be the perception with the fans and the media that he just doesn't really want to be here. Period.

For a player of his caliber, that is a condition that's contagious.

I might end up being wrong, but I think the front office is doing everything it possibly can to get AJ the hell out of here, despite the difficulty of the numbers.

Whether his heart is not in it, whether he's burnt out, whether he's just fed up, it doesn't matter. Perception is everything. And if he does come back, whether he just stands on the sidelines the whole time, or he's out on the field playing, there will be the perception with the fans and the media that he just doesn't really want to be here. Period.

With his luck we trade him off and win the superbowl next year.

And if they were actively seeking someone to trade with then we would of heard something, News like that cant be kept a secret no matter how hard they try.

Well said, back at ya'. :)

I think you nailed it. You are not assuming things "between the lines" of his comments. You are analyzing his statements and coming to a logical conclusion.

Like you said, his heart does not appear to be in it right now. That can change and he comes back. Or, he can feel the same but fulfill his obligations under contract and just go through the motions.

I think it is reasonable to speculate that the FO has reached out to some teams to see what is possible. Unfortunately for everyone, AJ's current contract is not trade friendly without penalizing the team.

I think ultimately he either retires or comes back to the Texans, depending on what's in his heart and his willingness to start over from square 1 with a new head coach. Based on what we know about AJ in 11 years, I just don't get the feeling that he's going to half-ass it to get paid.

Shouldn't be difficult at all. We can cover the dead money... it's a net gain to trade him this season. It's now after June 1st which should make it even easier.

There is no more guaranteed money on his current deal. A sign & trade, or an agreement to redo his contract should be relatively easy to work out if he in fact wants to go to a contender.

The fact that he hasn't been traded, leads me to believe he truly hasn't asked to be traded.

Hey, man, you are free to believe whatever you choose to believe, and the rest of us are free to agree or disagree.

Well said, man. I do not understand the inability by some fans to cut AJ some slack after his 11 years of dedication to this franchise.

I agree. And I kinda' figure this was AJ's point. He's burned out. He spent a potential HoF career and his elite talent with a franchise that cannot find its way. I don't fault the guy for not being sure if he wants to keep doing it or not. He could retire today in decent health and a multimillionaire. I would not blame him if he did. Barry Sanders seems at peace with himself.

So let me get this straight. Im upset that our star wideout who gets paid a lot of money, therefore is un-tradeable is not attending OTAs to help our team improve and IM THE wishy washy one?

I don't know how logic works in your world, but in mine, that makes no sense. I care about the TEAM, while others here (you included) care more about an aging over paid wide out who is on the back side of his HOF career. He is my favorite player of all time (hence the damn screen name) and yet at the end of the day, he is choosing to let the team down by staying away. If this was J-Jo or Arian Foster I bet you would all sing a different tune, but because its AJ you all ignore the fact he is damaging this teams improvement.

Sometimes people think with their hearts and I fully think thats what you are doing. There is NOTHING in the world that excuses our star to miss time with the team because he is upset we're "rebuilding". Grab your cleats and lace up son.

I don't know how logic works in your world, but in mine, that makes no sense. I care about the TEAM, while others here (you included) care more about an aging over paid wide out who is on the back side of his HOF career.

As someone who also appreciates everything Andre has done for this team I also feel like he is a big part of this team & being honest about where he is right now is best for the team.

Out of respect for the man, I won't speculate on anything he has not said. Nor will I denigrate his service by calling him an "over paid wide out who is on the back side of his HOF career" as much as that may reflect his current situation, it comes across ugly. Much uglier than it needs to.

Instead, I try to see the positive. Would it be great if Andre were suited up & going at it with the team, like Meyers or Brown? Sure. Right now, everyone else on this team "has" to be there, because they truly have no where else to go. Andre has options. He can retire, or he can demand to be traded. However you feel about Andre's option to demand to be traded, it's real, it's there, & he can do it.

If Andre decides he wants to retire, or be traded, then that will be detrimental to the team. A huge blow in my mind. But something to rally about. Something the coach can use to motivate the team. Because it's not just about him, it's about every one of those guys on the field, every one in the organization top to bottom.

If Andre decides he wants to be a Texans, then it will be a huge lift, something to rally around. It will be something the players can use, or the coaches, or anyone in the organization from top to bottom.

Worse thing, imo, that can happen would be if Andre is "forced" to be there, or if he decides to "go through the motions"

At the end of the day, it's about people. Andre is good people. I have faith that he'll make the best decision he can & however it turns out, we'll deal with it.

No reason to vilify the man.

Back