Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Name the guy #26

TheGoldenGreek

Practice Squad
WalterFootball.com updated their pick for the Texans at #26 to Bruce Irvin, DE/OLB, West Virginia.

This is what he said about the pick:

Surprise! Bruce Irvin in the first round? You might be thinking about e-mailing Woody Paige to tell him that he's right about me being a buffoon, but let me explain first. Michael Lombardi reported that some team flew Irvin to their facility in a helicopter and told him he'd be their first-round pick. I have some reason to believe that the Texans will pick Irvin here based on some other things I've heard today, so I guess I'm taking the bait.

What I do know for certain, per trusted sources, is that this pick will not be used on a receiver. It'll be the top rush linebacker or right tackle available on Houston's board.
I also find the receiver comment quite interesting.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012_1.php

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I just don't trust those "trusted sources". LOL

The Texans will pick someone that fits into the team BOTH professionally and personally. You know they use both those criteria. I'll bet if a really hot reciever falls and that guy is a "nice guy" and a hell of an athelitic, they'll take him.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Señor Stan;1942279 said:
I had a dream last night that the Texans took Kendall Wright. Fleener dropped to the Colts and the ended up with him and Luck.
You may have dreamed what will happen as it could well work just like that.

**** it...

Coby Fleener.

If not (kind of a long list) : Bruce Irvin, Shea McClellin, Whitney Mercilus, Nick Perry, Cordy Glenn or Jonathan Martin.

b0ng

Bad Hombre
I read that Bruce Irvin ran the 3-cone faster than any DL at the combine this year. Food for thought.

I'm going with Bruce Irvin, just for the hell of it. The helicopter story seemed pretty bizarre, and it would be hilarious to find out that the Texans were the one.
If anything screams 'Houston Texans,' it's such a flamboyant and self-important act as flying someone to the facility in a helicopter for an interview.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
If we take Irvin over McClellin, I'll be pissed... I really hope Shea is there at 26, otherwise we should trade back.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Sadly, i think they'll feel the WR class is too deep for them to take 1 in the 1st unless somehow Floyd falls to us; they'll go WR in the 2nd though. i also don't know if they're convinced they'll be able to pay Barwin next year if he has a good year & if they're totally convinced about Reed...plus we need the depth at olb as you can never have too many pass rushers so.............

1a: Nick Perry

1b. Courtney Upshaw

Allstar

Bona fide
Wade Phillips ‏ @sonofbum

We we get to our pic we have already discussed which of the 6 we would prefer. There is also a chance that we could move back for more pics

Goldensilence

hipster elite
Who I want: Fleener.

He's not an OD type of TE. This guy will create physical mismatches at the TE spot. We need someone who can step up with Dressen's departure and IMO Fleener can do that and more. He out produced BOTH our TE's last year snagging 11 TDs. I think he's easily the most immediate impact player available at this spot.

Who I am betting they they take:

Stephen Hill.

For better or worse this staff is all in on Jacoby Jones. He's going to be here next year. Book it. Hill has all the physical measurables to develop into a #1 receiver. They'll give him the year to develop and if he turns into an impact player as a rookie, I am willing to be its icing on the cake for this staff.

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man
Same here Thorn! I leave it up to all these younger guys to do the research for me! They do a damn good job of it too!!:) The draft process is complicated to me, so I keep it simple. Keep enough names in my old brain to make it fun, and a little interesting at the draft party.

One of the FEW times I buy the local ragsheet is the day after draft day! They'll analyze all the TEXAN draft picks and I'll become acquainted with our new Texans!! Don't really matter to me who they are!!
Yep. One of the few times I'll actually read the Chronicle. I'll read what they have to say, read what everyone on this board is saying, and I'll also google our picks as well. I really want to learn who these new guys are. But as we so often find out, what we THINK they will do, and what they actually do can be much different.
Pretty much what I do as well. I also enjoy the youtube videos that get posted about each pick so I can see them in action and start getting excited about the upcoming season!

:fans:

Oilers_57

Practice Squad
I read that Bruce Irvin ran the 3-cone faster than any DL at the combine this year. Food for thought.
I read that too.

Also (Irvin v D. Ware)

40 Time: 4.50 vs 4.56
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.03 vs 4.07
3 Cone Drill: 6.70 vs 6.85
broad jump: 10'03" vs 10'02"

Ware tested at 6'4 and 251

Irvin tested at 6'3 and 245

I could see Wade pulling some rope to get his D Ware in a Texans uni.

I just hope he wears #57 if we pick him.

I won't cry if Irvin is the guy.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If we take Irvin over McClellin, I'll be pissed... I really hope Shea is there at 26, otherwise we should trade back.
Yep, McClellin pick screams Texans. I'm OK with Irvin but would take Hill,Martin,McClellin,Fleener in that order ahead of Irvin.

Ryan

THIS YEAR
I'm gonna go with Courtney Upshaw. I think he's gonna be the guy that falls and the value at 26 for him would be too good to pass up IMO.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I read that too.

Also (Irvin v D. Ware)

40 Time: 4.50 vs 4.56
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.03 vs 4.07
3 Cone Drill: 6.70 vs 6.85
broad jump: 10'03" vs 10'02"

Ware tested at 6'4 and 251

Irvin tested at 6'3 and 245

I could see Wade pulling some rope to get his D Ware in a Texans uni.

I just hope he wears #57 if we pick him.

I won't cry if Irvin is the guy.
That's pretty impressive...I'm not a draft guru so i have no clue who this guy is. Do his measurables match his game tape? If wade is eyeing this guy to be Demarcus Ware 2.0.......i'm all for that.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
Who/what's "the 6"?
There was a previous tweet from Wade that stated when they get to within six picks of the Texans position, they'll start discussing the 6 remaining players they like best - knowing with certainty that at least one of them will still be there when they pick.

Edit: Wade's a pretty good follow on twitter for anyone who's interested in that type of thing.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
Yep, McClellin pick screams Texans. I'm OK with Irvin but would take Hill,Martin,McClellin,Fleener in that order ahead of Irvin.
If we trade back, I'll be OK with Irvin, but he is not a 1st round pick IMO. Not really a high second either. I'd rather have Lavonte David or Ronnell Lewis late in the 2nd than Irivin in the top 40 as some are projecting. Here's his game against Clemson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9s85CjEexg

Intangibles according to ESPN:

Arrested this past March the weekend after his pro day (March 16) for destruction of property and disorderly conduct after allegedly breaking a sign at a Jimmy John's sandwich shop in Morgantown. Ruled academically ineligible sophomore year of high school. Dropped out of school and struggled with off-the-field issues. Spent two years out of football and briefly spent time in juvenile detention center before earning GED in 2007. Grew up in Georgia in a rough neighborhood. Scouts will need to do some investigating on background. Attempted to walk on at Butler Community College in Kansas but didn't make the team and later enrolled at Mt San Antonio Community College. Played safety for one year them moved to defensive end to take advantage of ability to get to quarterback. De-committed from Tennessee and then Arizona State before settling on West Virginia. Some slight concerns about his ability to interpret and take coaching. Named team's rookie of the year in 2010.

Texn4life

All Pro
I'm gonna go with Courtney Upshaw. I think he's gonna be the guy that falls and the value at 26 for him would be too good to pass up IMO.
I think the same thing. I keep hearing people downplay his measureables, so I can see him easily sliding and he would fit perfectly in this defense with Barwin and Reed.

drs23

Veteran
If we trade back, I'll be OK with Irvin, but he is not a 1st round pick IMO. Not really a high second either. I'd rather have Lavonte David or Ronnell Lewis late in the 2nd than Irivin in the top 40 as some are projecting. Here's his game against Clemson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9s85CjEexg

Intangibles according to ESPN:
The first sentence, which has been discussed in dept just screams a private helicopter ride to Reliant to me. :whistle:

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
I'm really, really cool with this pick!!! My old ass can go to bed now!!!!

*EDIT*

And BTW, Noobs.... We don't have to start 14 new threads about the kid from "the Fighting Illinios"!!

That said, I'm sure my friend.... the Bi-SoXual, longtime member "Illinois Jen is stoked!"

OOOooweee stookeeeeee something or another Illinis! ;)

Porky

Hall of Fame
I seriousely doubt he gets past the Bears at #19. If he somehow lands at #26, I'll be doing backflips too but I really, really doubt he falls that far. Are you willing to trade up to #18 to grab him?
I'm quoting myself because I made these comments about Mercilous. I'm pretty shocked that he fell that far. Our D is going to be nasty next year.

Now let's get some toys for Matt and the gang!

bckey

All Pro
I'm quoting myself because I made these comments about Mercilous. I'm pretty shocked that he fell that far. Our D is going to be nasty next year.

Now let's get some toys for Matt and the gang!
I never thought he would fall to us either. I think the shocker though had to be David Decastro falling all the way to the Steelers at 24. The other shocker was the Chiefs taking Poe at the 11 spot.

Overall I didn't like the 1st round of the draft very much. It had kind of a circus atmosphere to it. Way too many trades. I guess it was a combination of a bunch of guys in the first round that graded out pretty close and the rookiie salary cap making higher picks much less risky cap wise.

badboy

Hall of Fame
After further review.... the apostrophe still comes AFTER the "a".
lol, I wasn't talking about punctuation, my friend. Although I can now see how you got that. I am hoping you are more than just correct on Merci being a winner. My bad for confusing.