Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

my thoughts

arciem

Practice Squad
HORRIBLE DECISION!!! First of all, Reggie Bush had so much more value than anybody on the draft board...you CANNOT argue against that! With all the hype surrounding him (not to mention his freakish ability), he's the most sought after draft pick. So...if the Texans are so set on getting Mario, don't you imagine that the they could have traded the first pick for the second or third ... PLUS they could have got a fat bonus, just b/c there are numerous teams that would give their left nut to get Reggie Bush...and rightfully so...

Secondly, I have been watching some Mario Williams film. He is really not THAT impressive. Many of his great plays resulted from missed blocking assignments...which won't happen in the pros!

Third, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that theres even another person that should be drafted over Mario. Texans have been plagued by their weak offensive line. We have a great QB in Carr but the can barely get a look before hes swamped with D-Linemen. A great counter against that would be the beastly O-Lineman, Ferguson. I think the O-line needs more help than the D-line.

Fourth, WATCH REGGIE'S FILM...WATCH MARIO'S FILM...COMPARE...PERIOD!!!!!

*sigh* I cant believe this =(

arciem said:
HORRIBLE DECISION!!! First of all, Reggie Bush had so much more value than anybody on the draft board...you CANNOT argue against that! With all the hype surrounding him (not to mention his freakish ability), he's the most sought after draft pick. So...if the Texans are so set on getting Mario, don't you imagine that the they could have traded the first pick for the second or third ... PLUS they could have got a fat bonus, just b/c there are numerous teams that would give their left nut to get Reggie Bush...and rightfully so...

Secondly, I have been watching some Mario Williams film. He is REALLY NOT THAT IMPRESSIVE. Many of his great plays resulted from missed blocking assignments...which won't happen in the pros!

Third, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that theres even another person that should be drafted over Mario. Texans have been plagued by their weak offensive line. We have a great QB in Carr but the can barely get a look before hes swamped with D-Linemen. A great counter against that would be the beastly O-Lineman, Ferguson. I think the O-line needs more help than the D-line.

Fourth, WATCH REGGIE'S FILM...WATCH MARIO'S FILM...COMPARE...PERIOD!!!!!

*sigh* I cant believe this =(

Most everyone in the country will agree with you, except the few people who think the Texans can never do wrong.

Kiper's summed it up...Bush brought it all last season while Williams was inconsistent and only turned it on late. Even if you rate them as equal in all other areas, that has to give you pause. But hey, Williams was willing to sign before the draft...

That's another Texans...F!@# UP!

My view is this, Houston had to come away with one of 5 players to not make this a complete bust draft.

Ferguson
Bush
Hawk
Williams
Vernon Davis

Of those 5, Bush and Williams by the scouts were the only 2 that had first pick ability. Now while I am a bit disapointed we didn't get some picks in a trade down for Williams, he still was graded as a first pick. And Williams is more of a need for us than Bush. Yes, Bush is a great player, I was/am in the Bush camp, but look at it this way, they could have traded down so far and missed out on all 5 of those players. While this wasn't the best played our scenerio, it's not as bad as everyone thinks.

KSig44 said:
My view is this, Houston had to come away with one of 5 players to not make this a complete bust draft.

Ferguson
Bush
Hawk
Williams
Vernon Davis

Of those 5, Bush and Williams by the scouts were the only 2 that had first pick ability. Now while I am a bit disapointed we didn't get some picks in a trade down for Williams, he still was graded as a first pick. And Williams is more of a need for us than Bush. Yes, Bush is a great player, I was/am in the Bush camp, but look at it this way, they could have traded down so far and missed out on all 5 of those players. While this wasn't the best played our scenerio, it's not as bad as everyone thinks.

I'd be willing to bet they could have got the 2nd pick plus a second round pick for the 1st overall...AT LEAST...

arciem said:
HORRIBLE DECISION!!! First of all, Reggie Bush had so much more value than anybody on the draft board...you CANNOT argue against that! With all the hype surrounding him (not to mention his freakish ability), he's the most sought after draft pick. So...if the Texans are so set on getting Mario, don't you imagine that the they could have traded the first pick for the second or third ... PLUS they could have got a fat bonus, just b/c there are numerous teams that would give their left nut to get Reggie Bush...(

So, a nut - but not give multiple picks to move up and get Bush. Even NO was trying to trade to the Jets but didn't happen.

Speaking of trade - that's the thing, yeah you can trade down, but gotta have someone on the other side to trade up. Yeah, would've been nice to have Bush in the backfield, but's pretty good to have our defense starting to build up as well.

A4toZ said:
So, a nut - but not give multiple picks to move up and get Bush. Even NO was trying to trade to the Jets but didn't happen.

Speaking of trade - that's the thing, yeah you can trade down, but gotta have someone on the other side to trade up. Yeah, would've been nice to have Bush in the backfield, but's pretty good to have our defense starting to build up as well.

yeah but NO could clearly use Reggie more than NYJ...thats probably the reason for that...

yeah i agree, theres no doubt Mario will be an immediate impact player for the Texans...but I just think the upsides to Reggie would outweigh that. Our offense could have been so versatile and high-powered with Reggie in the mix. With Domanick Davis also at HB, we could have used Reggie as a receiver, wingback, etc, etc (as well as HB naturally). That offense would be really hard to defend against b/c of the mismatches Reggie would create. It would instantly add a whole new dimension to the Texans offense. Although Mario will fill a hole on the D-line...i dont think the need was that great. I even think we needed O-lineman more...

arciem said:
yeah but NO could clearly use Reggie more than NYJ...thats probably the reason for that...

yeah i agree, theres no doubt Mario will be an immediate impact player for the Texans...but I just think the upsides to Reggie would outweigh that. Our offense could have been so versatile and high-powered with Reggie in the mix. With Domanick Davis also at HB, we could have used Reggie as a receiver, wingback, etc, etc. That offense would be really hard to defend against b/c of the mismatches Reggie would create. It would instantly add a whole new dimension to the Texans offense. Although Mario will fill a hole on the D-line...i dont think the need was that great. I even think we needed O-lineman more...

It will be interesting to watch Reggie alongside Duece in NO...I'm sure they are aiming for this style of offense...speedy, versatile, dynamic, big-play offense... EXACTLY what i wanted to see from the Texans... watch out for the Saint's offense next year...as long as their O-line can step it up...

Reading some of these silly posts renews my faith in my parents. Holy Cow....I will sleep well tonight knowing that I wasn't dropped on my head like the above posters apparently were. Wow. Can I make a suggestion for the next Dr Phil episode? ESPN Whores Speak Out!!! Un-f'n-real!

Yeah well, they gotta sign him. The kid wants Mario money. Yeah that's going to work. My book says the Bush saga is only just begining. I'm sure Duce is gonna luv having his PT split.

Master Po said:
Reading some of these silly posts renews my faith in my parents. Holy Cow....I will sleep well tonight knowing that I wasn't dropped on my head like the above posters apparently were. Wow. Can I make a suggestion for the next Dr Phil episode? ESPN Whores Speak Out!!! Un-f'n-real!

...do you have something valuable to say?

arciem said:
...yeah...using words like "improved" to describe both our offense and defense... Not sure, but usually isnt that the point of the draft and free agency...to improve... kinda obvious if you ask me...

"Sorry Chicken Little, guess I've got nothing to offer." ....agreed...

OK, I understand that you're a kid that only understands ESPN highlights, video game covers, and fantasy football implications. Unfortunately, you aren't alone. Feel for ya. Sorry. If you are so, honestly, bent about Reggie, then don't pass GO and head for the Saints boards. Thanks.

Its possible the texans didnt belive that reggie was going to make a sudden impact like mario is going to. They have the worst D in the league so they had to start there. But they should have traded that pick to the saints and picked up there 2nd pick in the 2nd round and they still could have got Mario. I on the other hand belive they should have got reggie because I belive he would create those unbelivable match up problems for almost everyone. Coming out of the backfield up the seam or in the flats is almost impossible to cover and carr has a bigger arm than Lienart. Even if you cover reggie then someone else has to be open. I also belive there are plenty of other DEs that could have the same impact as Mario. So the whole thing just doesnt make any sense to me. After the hurricane in NO NO became everyones 2nd favorite team until they starting sucking. So this year I look for them to atleast win 6 to 8 games with there new QB and two RB threats.

What about trading the pick to the saints to get Mario and picking up Lendale in the 2nd round. That would have worked right? Who knows you tell me.

MarkLevi said:
Its possible the texans didnt belive that reggie was going to make a sudden impact like mario is going to. They have the worst D in the league so they had to start there. But they should have traded that pick to the saints and picked up there 2nd pick in the 2nd round and they still could have got Mario. I on the other hand belive they should have got reggie because I belive he would create those unbelivable match up problems for almost everyone. Coming out of the backfield up the seam or in the flats is almost impossible to cover and carr has a bigger arm than Lienart. Even if you cover reggie then someone else has to be open. I also belive there are plenty of other DEs that could have the same impact as Mario. So the whole thing just doesnt make any sense to me. After the hurricane in NO NO became everyones 2nd favorite team until they starting sucking. So this year I look for them to atleast win 6 to 8 games with there new QB and two RB threats.

What about trading the pick to the saints to get Mario and picking up Lendale in the 2nd round. That would have worked right? Who knows you tell me.

Well, thank goodness you are not the Texans GM.

MarkLevi said:

Yeah I agree. And I definately think it's possible that they could have got Lendale White in the second round by trading away the 1st pick. This whole deal just seemed incredibly short-sighted for the amount of time the Texans have had to think this over. They allow the whole nation, including their very own fanbase, to believe that theyre intending on drafting Bush...then the day before they unload the sudden news and shock the league and dimiss the opinions of their fans...unbelievable

Because I would fire myself.

If I passed on Reggie I would have to fire myself. Whats with this Ryens demaco guy. Hes way undersized. Your already making the mistake of switching back to the 4-3 then you draft a undersized olb.

So tell me why trading the pick and still getting mario for the secound pick and Aquiring another pick in the secound round isnt smart. Let me think you wouldnt have to pay mario so much. Do you know how many third downs there are a game? About 25 so your paying Mario around 225000 per play what?

Master Po said:
OK, I understand that you're a kid that only understands ESPN highlights, video game covers, and fantasy football implications. Unfortunately, you aren't alone. Feel for ya. Sorry. If you are so, honestly, bent about Reggie, then don't pass GO and head for the Saints boards. Thanks.

well if youre going to bring age into this...youre over 30 and all you can do on this board is criticize others opinions...not even sharing your own... And thanks...im glad that you think I understand all this stuff... but who are you to say its all I understand??? ...Anything to say besides critism???

MarkLevi said:
So tell me why trading the pick and still getting mario for the secound pick and Aquiring another pick in the secound round isnt smart. Let me think you wouldnt have to pay mario so much.

I would like to hear the staff's response to that...

Its like this number one pick was like a hot potatoe in there hand and they didnt know what the hell to do with it. Signing Mario before the draft started without seeking a pick trade to other teams. Mario wasnt expected to go until about 4th or even later. They could have got more picks later in the draft and still got Mario. Yeah I wonder if a reporter will ask this and I wonder what they will say. Theyll just put a bull**** spin on it. But its somthing for Mike and Mike in the morning.

If you look at the avalible picks in the secound round that the texans could have got with the trade down to 2nd in the first round.

Chad Jackson.. 4.3 40
Jimmy Williams
Winston Justice
Sinorice Moss
Lendale White
Cedric Griffin

You may argue that the texans couldnt forsee that these guys wouldnt be avalible. But the math says that one would be and they would all contribute.

Andre Johnson is on my friend's list on myspace. It is a legit site. It also happens to be the only one. He offered up his opinions on a post and I agree with him. I am just passing the message on. His site link is www.myspace.com/andrejohnson80

You should check it out if you can cuz he writes back to his fans and all that good stuff.

The 1st day of the 2006 NFL Draft is over. Here is what Houston did on Saturday.

1st overall Mario Williams DE North Carolina State 6'7" 294
33rd Overall Demeco Ryans OLB Alabama 6'1" 235
65th Overall Charles Spencer OT Pittsburgh 6'5" 351
66th Overall Eric Winston OT Miami (FL) 6'6" 311

I love these picks. Mario Williams will help get pressure on the QB, particulary Peyton Manning. That is the way to beat Manning. Ryans from Alabama will help us in the transition to the 3-4 Defense. The 1st 2 picks of round 3 went to lineman. Spencer is a great lineman I met him in college when Miami was in the Big East. Eric Winston, a fellow Hurricane is also joining the line. I thought he was going first round or early second. I thought he was going with the pick that Ryans was taken. Houston has 3 picks tomorrow and I will try and post again tomorrow. I welcome all of your inputs and opinions on Day 1.

Andre

MarkLevi said:
If you look at the avalible picks in the secound round that the texans could have got with the trade down to 2nd in the first round.

Chad Jackson.. 4.3 40
Jimmy Williams
Winston Justice
Sinorice Moss
Lendale White
Cedric Griffin

You may argue that the texans couldnt forsee that these guys wouldnt be avalible. But the math says that one would be and they would all contribute.

yeah its a shame we probably could have drafted one of them if the Texans actually knew what they were doing. No doubt we got some good draft picks and Im looking forward to next season...but the Texans didn't play their cards right on this one. They ignored their fans, and they should hear about it!!!

Back