Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

My take on preseason game two

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
Here is what I got. Feel free to discuss and let me know what you think.

Coaches 30 seconds to go and goes for another score. Again one of the reasons I feel we will win at least four games due to coaching alone. We all know what the previous staff would've asked Carr to do and that is take knee and head to the lockers. No, Kubiak says hey Carr has to learn this situation and allows him to play. Nice A+

Receivers Not much here. Andre settled down and was awesome in the last part of the first half. Wish I could've seen more from someone else. DLew had a nice grab. B+

TE- Saw what Putzier can do and Joppru had a decent couple of catches. Not many balls thrown that way B

FBJopp can play here, Cook is a better receiver than I thought but there wasn't a whole lot to see in the blocking dept. B-

RBLundy showed he is a rookie and still inconsistent. Morency did great and was a relieved breathe of fresh air . I'd like to see him start this week to see if he can be consistent. A

OLStill hasn't given up sacks when last year at this time they probably already had like eight. Running game looked nice but they still kept Carr kind of jittery.A

QBCarr started poorly but settled down and played well despite the early struggle. Did nice in the 30 second driver for the FG and if not for Kris Brown miss would've put 3 nice scoring drives together. I won't cry if Rosenfels ever for any reason has to come in and play.
B+

DL- If you watched the game you know Mario answered questions but ESPN won't admit it. T. Johnson has been the only DT this year. Peek want's the start. B

LB- Another solid game by Ryans. Greenwood showed up and Cowart makes for good depth. B-(only cuz there wasn't spectacular stuff.)

DBsSuspect. That is all I can say here. After Dunta there isn't really anything going. Mccleon gives us nice depth but nothing great. His speed is used nicely though. Buchannon had a decent game but showed he still has a long way to go. CC Brown is not a cover guy. If Earl is, let's move him over to CC's spot and give Stone the start. C-

ST - Buch showed up and it should be his spot to lose. Kris Brown has to go. Buch is the only reason this group did not get an F. C-

An F for special teams...get...outta...town....Our special teams were atleast a b-..even with kris browns missed kick...

I can't disagree with you for the most part. I think our Defense will wear down teams with our depth. Kubiak will manage the game through Carr and not allow us to give away the game by making mental mistakes on the offensive side of the game.

xtruroyaltyx said:
An F for special teams...get...outta...town....Our special teams were atleast a b-..even with kris browns missed kick...
I didn't put it in there because he is usually nails but Stanley didn't do as good a job punting. PBuch's returns brought up the ST but when your kicker misses another easy FG it is not easy to grade out good.

El Tejano said:
I didn't put it in there because he is usually nails but Stanley didn't do as good a job punting. PBuch's returns brought up the ST but when your kicker misses another easy FG it is not easy to grade out good.

Thats true, But you also have to look at how good we covered kick offs and punts....We didn't really give guys a lot of wiggle room...Good blocking on XP and FG's...Buchanon was solid/borderline electric... and didn't McCleon have a blocked FG ?...

I think that was a reasonable scorecard all together. my personal niggles, you rated the WRs a little higher than you should've, Special teams a little lower, and PBuch was our best Corner....... PI and all.

the special teams as a unit...im giving them an A. they were simply spectacular in kickoff coverage, constantly bursting through the lines and forcing the rams starting field position on their side of the 20 yard line. mccleon had the field goal block. kris brown sucks and he missed a chipshot yet again. he is the only reason why i didnt give the special teams an A+.

TexanFanInCC said:
the special teams as a unit...im giving them an A. they were simply spectacular in kickoff coverage, constantly bursting through the lines and forcing the rams starting field position on their side of the 20 yard line. mccleon had the field goal block. kris brown sucks and he missed a chipshot yet again. he is the only reason why i didnt give the special teams an A+.

Dito.

thunderkyss said:
I think that was a reasonable scorecard all together. my personal niggles, you rated the WRs a little higher than you should've, Special teams a little lower, and PBuch was our best Corner....... PI and all.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I would say that much. He made a couple decent plays as well as a couple mental mistakes. St. Louis tried to exploit him and his mistakes. Hence the reason they threw to his side so often. They tried D-Rob side early on and found that PBuch was the weakest link. Yes, he did ok, but IMO being picked on doesn't make him the better corner.:twocents:

Weren't there some issues with the FBs in the pass blocking department?
I haven't rewatched the game, but it seemed like there were some breakdowns in that area.

michaelm said:
Weren't there some issues with the FBs in the pass blocking department?
I haven't rewatched the game, but it seemed like there were some breakdowns in that area.

I have watched the game twice. Although I was not looking for it, it did not leap out at me like others have commented.

HOU-TEX said:
thunderkyss said:
I think that was a reasonable scorecard all together. my personal niggles, you rated the WRs a little higher than you should've, Special teams a little lower, and PBuch was our best Corner....... PI and all.

I don't know if I would say that much. He made a couple decent plays as well as a couple mental mistakes. St. Louis tried to exploit him and his mistakes. Hence the reason they threw to his side so often. They tried D-Rob side early on and found that PBuch was the weakest link. Yes, he did ok, but IMO being picked on doesn't make him the better corner.:twocents:

the only mistake he made, was that first PI..... other than that, he did everything we wanted him to do...... it is true he played more than DRob, and he was picked on, so he had more opportunities to play.

But DRob I thought wasn't all that. There was that pass he got turned around in the endzone. If Bulger wasn't threw that ball where Bruce could make a play, instead of out of bounds, that's a touchdown. Then there were a couple of others, where DRob wasn't in any position to make a play on the ball, or the man had Bulger not overthrown, underthrown his reciever.....

I love the way PBuch is playing. He had two interferance calls. One was the face guarding call, but the other was really questionable. Put him on the field with adequate pressure from the first team, and lets see how he handles the role. I think he will end up starting, as McCleon is so slow!:fireball: :bowser:

My major concern is the fact that Carr and the 1st string offense could not do anything against the 1st string STL's deffense. They only scored after STL's 2nd string deffense was on the field. I know its preseason and they played more a more stationary offense but it appeared to me that Carr could not handle the pressure and backed up into his first sack instead of steping up in the pocket and buying a little more time as he has done in the past.

In my opinion Carr should have become a very successful QB with proper coaching and protection. 4 years of bad coaching or lack there of and running for his life and not being able to grow has ruined him and his confidence and I dont know if this is repairable.

I'm not ready to drop the hammer but if Carr can not handle the pressure within the 1st few regular season games than Ros looks like a very formatible repalcement.

Your thoughts please!

spek said:
My major concern is the fact that Carr and the 1st string offense could not do anything against the 1st string STL's deffense. They only scored after STL's 2nd string deffense was on the field. I know its preseason and they played more a more stationary offense but it appeared to me that Carr could not handle the pressure and backed up into his first sack instead of steping up in the pocket and buying a little more time as he has done in the past.

In my opinion Carr should have become a very successful QB with proper coaching and protection. 4 years of bad coaching or lack there of and running for his life and not being able to grow has ruined him and his confidence and I dont know if this is repairable.

I'm not ready to drop the hammer but if Carr can not handle the pressure within the 1st few regular season games than Ros looks like a very formatible repalcement.

Your thoughts please!

I wondering when this thread would turn...

You know, I forgot about the block FG. Okay C+. Anytime points get taken off the board you got to grade down hardcore. If we want to go from a losing team to a winning team. These kinds of things need to be automatic. I've been down for Brown but the dude is consistently missing now.

i still think u arent seeing the big picture. all we need to do is find another kicker. theres plenty of them. ur grading special teams as a whole as a C+, which is a poor assessment. the other guys had nothing to do with brown missing.

Everyone seems to be praising our DL depth, but I wasn't all that impressed watching our backups in the 3rd & 4th. Rams 2nd string O scored 2 TD's in the second qtr and seemed to have all day to throw the ball.

spek said:

Your thoughts please!

IT's very rare that any NFL team will score on every opening drive. If a team has got a streak going, where they do, they'll be sure to flash it across the screen, and make a big deal about it.

Same the other way. If a team is constantly giving up points on their first defensive stand, they make a little to do about it.

Algebrat said:
Everyone seems to be praising our DL depth, but I wasn't all that impressed watching our backups in the 3rd & 4th. Rams 2nd string O scored 2 TD's in the second qtr and seemed to have all day to throw the ball.

Ragone...Was running....for his.....LIFE....I think our D-line played well...I really don't have many complaints about them, besides occasionally getting jumbled up on stunts, but that will become more crisp with practice and reps...

thunderkyss said:
IT's very rare that any NFL team will score on every opening drive. If a team has got a streak going, where they do, they'll be sure to flash it across the screen, and make a big deal about it.

Same the other way. If a team is constantly giving up points on their first defensive stand, they make a little to do about it.

How rare is it in pre-season though...Out of all the games I have watched, Carr, Brooks and Grossman looked to be the worst starters in the leauge...

xtruroyaltyx said:
How rare is it in pre-season though...Out of all the games I have watched, Carr, Brooks and Grossman looked to be the worst starters in the leauge...

Add in there:

Mark Brunell--7 of 15 for 111 0 TD's 1 INT
Chris Simms--4 of 10 for 35 yds
Alex Smith--22 of 33 for 109 yds 0 TD's 2 INT's

on the edge:

Billy Volek 10 of 16 for 125 yds 0 TD's 1 INT
Charlie Frye 12 of 18 for 64 yds 1 TD 1 INT

Not a long list even if you add all these guys though.

infantrycak said:
Add in there:

Mark Brunell--7 of 15 for 111 0 TD's 1 INT
Chris Simms--4 of 10 for 35 yds
Alex Smith--22 of 33 for 109 yds 0 TD's 2 INT's

on the edge:

Billy Volek 10 of 16 for 125 yds 0 TD's 1 INT
Charlie Frye 12 of 18 for 64 yds 1 TD 1 INT

Not a long list even if you add all these guys though.

My point exactly.

I'm not talking about the opening drive, what I saw was pretty much the 1st half wich STL's 2nd string played 1/2 of.

El Tejano said:
Here is what I got. Feel free to discuss and let me know what you think.

Coaches 30 seconds to go and goes for another score. Again one of the reasons I feel we will win at least four games due to coaching alone. We all know what the previous staff would've asked Carr to do and that is take knee and head to the lockers. No, Kubiak says hey Carr has to learn this situation and allows him to play. Nice A+

[

I can't stand it anymore - nobody has mentioned this- right before the half the Rams ran a third down play and didn't make the first down. There is a minute and change left. They bring the kicker on and WE LET THE CLOCK RUN DOWN to somewhere around thirty seconds. We barely make it into long field goal range. This would have been the perfect opportunity to work on the two minute drill if nothing else. Yes we got a long field goal but we took two time-outs to the locker room. Maybe we would have had a chance to score a touchdown if we would have called a time out after the third down play. Were we scared the Rams were going to go for it and make a first down? I don't understand not taking a time-out in this situation. :confused:

Texan Gal 312 said:
I can't stand it anymore - nobody has mentioned this- right before the half the Rams ran a third down play and didn't make the first down. There is a minute and change left. They bring the kicker on and WE LET THE CLOCK RUN DOWN to somewhere around thirty seconds. We barely make it into long field goal range. This would have been the perfect opportunity to work on the two minute drill if nothing else. Yes we got a long field goal but we took two time-outs to the locker room. Maybe we would have had a chance to score a touchdown if we would have called a time out after the third down play. Were we scared the Rams were going to go for it and make a first down? I don't understand not taking a time-out in this situation. :confused:

Maybe they wanted less time...Who knows? but I hear what you are saying...

Texan Gal 312 said:

Questionable? Yes. But it is pre-season and some times you play to situations. Getting Kris Brown some work with the clock under a minute was just as important to me as seeing Carr lead a two minute drill. Was that planned? I do not know.

Texan Gal 312 said:

ask my son (TexanLucky13), I Was screaming "Call Time Out", My wife is still mad about me yelling .....

David Carr was shaky in the beginning but settled down some. I don't like how he threw the ball though. It seemed like he was throwing off of his back foot a lot. I know he was being pressured but you got to step up and make a good throw. It seemed like he was almost flinging the ball and just trying to get rid of it. Sage looked great once again but it's hard to say how much success he would've have had if he went up against the first team defense. Kris Brown is starting to worry me. We should've brought in someone to at least give him some competition. To his credit he was good on the second field goal attempt from 40 some yards away. Mario looked good and he's definitely improving. And Morency had a great game obviously. All in all I think we battled through some adversity this week and showed we can hold on to a lead and win the game.

Nawzer said:
David Carr was shaky in the beginning but settled down some. I don't like how he threw the ball though. It seemed like he was throwing off of his back foot a lot. I know he was being pressured but you got to step up and make a good throw. It seemed like he was almost flinging the ball and just trying to get rid of it. Sage looked great once again but it's hard to say how much success he would've have had if he went up against the first team defense. Kris Brown is starting to worry me. We should've brought in someone to at least give him some competition. To his credit he was good on the second field goal attempt from 40 some yards away. Mario looked good and he's definitely improving. And Morency had a great game obviously. All in all I think we battled through some adversity this week and showed we can hold on to a lead and win the game.

Good post. As fans we cannot lose sight of the fact that this is pre season and we are 2-0. Although our starting QB has not looked great, we have talent, depth and schemes that we have never seen in our five years. And as it gels the collective work of the team will be able to overcome a "star" performer's bad games.

For the second straight week, it is good to be a Texan. :texflag:

Kaiser Toro said:
Good post. As fans we cannot lose sight of the fact that this is pre season and we are 2-0. Although our starting QB has not looked great, we have talent, depth and schemes that we have never seen in our five years. And as it gels the collective work of the team will be able to overcome a "star" performer's bad games.

For the second straight week, it is good to be a Texan. :texflag:

and I promise KT and I have never met .....

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Texan Gal 312 said:

Even the Color commentator caught this... about wondering why our defence didn't call time out, right?

Back