My sports life may be coming to an end

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by badboy, Mar 25, 2009.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I am a homer when it comes to sports. I have historically watched and rooted for Houston teams at pro and college levels and have been slightly rabid when Oiler or Rockets were playing. I seldom watch other teams unless game had major effect on the Houston team. I was a very vocal fan when Oilers were winning one or two games a season and wanted to scream at Bud Adams moving the team.

I have lost interest in Astros regardless of how many winning seasons. They just do not play inspired ball for half of the season and then come roaring back at end of season to get my hopes up. I don't even follow in paper anymore. The Houston Cougars hold my interest for now but have done nothing for years. I still have a solid interest in Longhorns.

When the Rockets acquired Artest I was very hopeful and was stunned as I watched the team pull out a W against San Antonio and then to lose again to Utah! Well, this may be my last season to watch that team. I am not into soccer or hockey.

Texans. Man I was so pumped when Htown got another chance at NFL. We got a "franchise type" QB in David Carr and each of us have an opinion about that. So many years and really not much to show. As always I am pumped for the draft but this is the year that the team needs to take a big step forward. I will be dissed by some as not being a true fan but I find I have other things I can do on game day regardless of the sport. I guess I want the peaks and the valleys to level out some. So..

This needs to be a really good year for the Texans. Sorry for the rant but guess I just needed to vent to some that might understand.

2. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

For a second I thought you were going to announce that you were getting married or something.
    :headhurts:

Ole Miss Texan and TimeKiller like this.
  3. 281

281 Hall of Fame

okay, and this has to do with your sports life "coming to an end" how?..

4. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

Venting is what these boards are for. I understand how you feel, I think most Texan fans have felt that way one time or another. Just imagine how good it's going to feel when the Texans have their first winning season this year! Stay true my friend, good things are ahead.

5. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

The only sport I follow is pro football, and the only reason I follow pro football is Houston has a team again. I couldn't care less about the Astros, Rockets, or whoever else is in town, only football will hold my interest over time. I'm sorta in the same boat as badboy, but I will not quit watching the Texans. Even they became so horrible they were worse off than Detroit, I'd still watch them. I'd just be a bit more cranky.

6. Polo

Polo Guest

Occasionally doing other things on gameday and not getting completely emotionally involved by an event that you don't have any control over is probably a good thing to do.

Just take a break from it man...Don't completely walk away...

7. imatexan

imatexan Hall of Fame

Okay sorry but why would your sports life be coming to an end?

If you dont enjoy watching the sports, then dont.

The ups and downs is just part of being a sports fan, especially a Houston sports fan.

8. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Every sports team has it's ups and downs. It's the way of sports. If you want every team you root for to be perfect and/or give it they're all you'll probably a sports fan without a team because I doubt any team is like this (even the best ones).

9. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Too many babies on this board. Dude, chill. I read a study that said the average sports fan experiences only 1-2 championships in their lifetime. And if you're a dedicated Houston fan since '93, you've already met that quota with the Rockets titles. Look we all want Houston teams to win it every year. And sometimes our hearts have been shattered in disappointment. But holding out for that one moment of glory is all the more worth it. </end cheesey lame disney movie rant>

10. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I thought that too LOL
    :gun:

11. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

:goodpost:

12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Most who know me understand it is not about wins and losses but good play. With Texans that has been a roller coaster. I guess it is just a down day and the week before the draft I'll get pumped again. Married? Nope only to a woman who enjoys what I do.

13. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

Just stick with it man. Times are tough now, but it'll all be worth it when your teams start winning. (It will happen)

Walk away now, sure. But if the Texans are playing an AFC championship game at Reliant (sometime)to go to the SuperBowl, tell me you won't give an arm and a leg to be there no matter how long you've been away.

You've probably experienced the Rockets 2 titles, the 1st World Series even in Texas, and you got a UT national championship. It's not all bad. Other fans in other cities are much worse than Houston.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  14. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Haven't you got your insurance settlement for "Badboy" yet??

15. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

HAH!!
    I say again, Hah! and double HAH!

You're only experiencing pseudo-frustration.

To experience real frustration you must play golf.

Come see me when you've hit the water or the sand for the fourth hole in a row. ...or you've busted into your 2nd sleeve of balls on the day ...or the third.
    Let me know how you feel when you've spend $100s on new clubs or lessons only to suck more after the expenditure than before...
    Talk to me when you're with your buds and you're the only one to reach the green on a Par 5 in two only to four-putt.

At least with the Astros/Rockets/Texans you can gripe about someone else.
    With golf its just you.:gun:

16. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

well i have changed "sports "on my end beer drinking sport with still a side of golf
    [​IMG]

17. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

seems like u like watching college football IMO its ok alot of people are like that

anywayz why did u give up on houston teams?????

18. V3rm0nt3r

V3rm0nt3r All Pro

I feel your pain. and then to have that woman hit that hole in one on her first shot ever... it just brews a certain kind of hate in you that... just echos in every fiber of your body.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Believe-it-or-don-t-Golfer-hits-hole-in-one-on-?urn=golf,148276

19. WesmanTexanfan

WesmanTexanfan SeNior Smack

I am very greatfull to be born in such a great sports town. We diss and wine all the time about houston sports but truth is we could be in Oklahoma, or deleware, or south dakota......or even canada. Sports are a privellige, one that the US is full of and thus waters down the enthusiasm, be happy, find the beauty in games and players(people)..... Challenge yourself to learn new things about your favorite sports daily and itll never get old I dont care how many championships you hav'nt won.

20. WesmanTexanfan

WesmanTexanfan SeNior Smack

Great post, I play at herman park weekly. I swing the clubs up at Herman with this guy....
    [​IMG]

He's got game too, he is up there almost everyday. One of my YMCA kids introduced me to him, he(the kid) shoots sub 70 so of course scarface has played with him....