Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

My New Mock

1. Dwayne Allen TE 6'4'' 255 4.76-40
Think before you quote any of the Kubia-nomicon...A legit playmaker opposite AJ on pass attempts, will impact in the red zone, a better blocker than Dreesen (who's a free agent anyway) on multiple TE sets and run plays. Great hands, solid routes. The consensus best TE in the draft instead of the 4th or 5th best WR. The only reason he's not a top 10 pick is he's not a physical freak like Vernon Davis. Schematic versatility, another offensive playmaker to contend with, it even comes off as a splash, a sexy pick. It's the right pick.

2. Dwight Jones 6'4'' 225 4.45-40
Now I know he might not drop THIS far but he's clearly in the 2nd tier of a very, very deep WR class. There are plenty of other mid-level guys who are big and fast. Marvin McNutt, Nick Toon, Juron Criner, Tommy Streeter, Jeff Fuller...ONE of them is going to drop and this is the round to go after them.

3. Ryan Miller OG/OT 6'8'' 300 5.3-40
The interior upgrade who may just be enough of a pass blocker to play T. Noted for run blocking and high intensity effort, strength and agility for big man. Lots of comparisons to Eric Winston here, including the team and the round. Definitely fits ZBS. There's also the Colorado thing...hell if he ever played TE anywhere I would consider it divine prophecy to be selected with this pick.

4. Charles Brown CB 5'10'' 205 4.40-40
One of the players suspended at North Carolina, significantly hurting his draft stock. Also some inconsistency issues but athletically he's a definite plus, a good tackler and can make plays on the ball. A steal in the 4th round.

5. Marquis Maze WR/KR 5'8'' 185 4.49-40
Between this pick and hoping Lestar Jean and the 2nd round WR develop positively, I'm trying to rid the Texans of Jacoby Jones. Kind of a flyer for a 5th, could also use more OL and DL depth, maybe even a consecutive DB selection but I'm going for homeruns!

6. Chad Diehl FB 6'2'' 265 4.72-40
Oh look at that. I actually can't pass up getting this guy, despite limited ball skills. Vickers makes Vonta Leach look like a probowler (get it?) and Leach wasn't exactly praised as versatile. Besides, we've got that guy already, that's James Casey. We don't need him to run either, that's what we have Foster and Tate for. I believe this also serves as an upgrade for the interior run blocking.

7. Darrell Scott RB 6'1'' 240 4.48-40
Since this is one of the last picks of the whole shindig I go for a guy with great measurables who might be a project...much in the vain of Dorin Dickerson and Cheta Ogzougwu. May be a cheaper alternative to an aging Derrick Ward.

Whaddya think?!

1. Allen, I honestly haven't even looked at the TE prospects this year because it's not a team need. I don't like this pick because even if we lose Dreesen in FA we still have OD, Graham, and Casey. The only way this pick makes sense is if we lose Dreesen and OD, then we'd have need for a #1 TE.
2. Jones, I love the player but don't think theirs any way he's still available late in the 2nd round. I think he goes in the 1st round or very early 2nd round at the latest.
3. Miller, again I have doubts that he's still available. I think he goes in the late 2nd or very early 3rd round. If available he's a good pick at a need and good value this late. I think many teams will be looking at him to play OT thus going earlier.
4. Brown, I don't know anything about him but another mid round CB isn't going to bring anything to the team that Allen, KJ, Carmichael, Harris, McCain, or McManus can't do. We've got lots of mid round CB talent, we need elite level talent and that's very hard to come by.
5. Maze, again we've already got lots of mid round developmental WR talent, JJ, B. Johnson, Maehl, Jean, etc... Also the height issue, why do we want a 5'08" WR.
6. Diehl, I like the player but not the pick I think that he can be had as an UDFA. He's very one dimensional.
7. Scott, I don't know anything about this guy either but I like the position chosen as a late round #3 RB to replace Ward.

Only 1 defensive player chosen? Sorry I'm not a fan of this draft.

1. Allen, I honestly haven't even looked at the TE prospects this year because it's not a team need. I don't like this pick because even if we lose Dreesen in FA we still have OD, Graham, and Casey. The only way this pick makes sense is if we lose Dreesen and OD, then we'd have need for a #1 TE.
Sure it is. #1 team need for me is another pair of hands to catch the ball. Does it really matter if it's a TE instead of a WR? I don't think so. There's the added bonus of him being a good blocker, impacting more than just receiving. And for how much this team relies on TEs, you get the best TE in the draft instead of a mid level WR. He's an impact player in the redzone, great route runner, reliable hands. OD gets beaten up and is getting closer to old than to young. Casey is not a true TE and Graham is a decent depth guy. There's a bunch of reasons why this is a good pick.

2. Jones, I love the player but don't think theirs any way he's still available late in the 2nd round. I think he goes in the 1st round or very early 2nd round at the latest.
Pretty sure I said that. Would you be opposed to any of the other players I listed?

3. Miller, again I have doubts that he's still available. I think he goes in the late 2nd or very early 3rd round. If available he's a good pick at a need and good value this late. I think many teams will be looking at him to play OT thus going earlier.
There's going to be a run of WRs taken in the 2nd/3rd round...it'll push somebody down!

4. Brown, I don't know anything about him but another mid round CB isn't going to bring anything to the team that Allen, KJ, Carmichael, Harris, McCain, or McManus can't do. We've got lots of mid round CB talent, we need elite level talent and that's very hard to come by.
It's my understanding he's a high round talent getting brought down a few levels by an unfortunate circumstance.

5. Maze, again we've already got lots of mid round developmental WR talent, JJ, B. Johnson, Maehl, Jean, etc... Also the height issue, why do we want a 5'08" WR.
So of the guys you have here JJ-I'm trying to replace with a kick returner, Bryant Johnson was a first round pick and Maehl/Jean were undrafted. So the only midlevel guy we have I'm trying to replace. 5'8'' maybe be a big hurdle to overcome but at least the guy has football skills. If Trindon Holliday got a look.....

6. Diehl, I like the player but not the pick I think that he can be had as an UDFA. He's very one dimensional.
Why get into a bidding war when all it would take is a 6th or 7th? I'm hiring him for that one dimension, so that's not an issue with me. I think he adds to the backfield without taking away from anyone else. Except Vickers, who got his job taken lol....This is also a 2nd indirect boost to the run blocking. This one particularly strengthens the inside running game, which is not a strength.

7. Scott, I don't know anything about this guy either but I like the position chosen as a late round #3 RB to replace Ward.
Yeah, he actually sounds like a young Ward...like when DW still had some speed.

Only 1 defensive player chosen? Sorry I'm not a fan of this draft.

Yeah and that got me too but a chance to take an offense that already rolls people and pick it up a notch while relying on a defense that is already bloated with 1st round picks and top dollar free agent signings seemed to be too good to pass up. What better way to answer the defense heavy/defensive improvement that's gotten us into the playoffs? This mock might not go over well but I assure you, it's carefully thought out.

1. Allen- hate this pick, give me Paulson in the 4th or Charles in the 3rd.
2. Jones- Hope he's there, love this pick
3. Miller - Meh, Miller is a bit to stiff, how many 6'8 OG's are in the NFL?
4. Brown, haven't seen alot of him, he seems like a high value pick.
5. Maze- Good slot WR
6. Diehl- Meh, one trick pony
7. Scott- Cant stand this prima donna, stood up UT, washed out at Colorado, transfered and now jumped to the NFL. Give me a different RB.

Overall I want a little more defense. The Texans need LB depth desperately, this draft you can find good LB's in the 4-5 rds. Also I'm not saying draft a NT high but atleast get a developmental NT later in the draft. JMHO

1. Allen- hate this pick, give me Paulson in the 4th or Charles in the 3rd.
2. Jones- Hope he's there, love this pick
3. Miller - Meh, Miller is a bit to stiff, how many 6'8 OG's are in the NFL?I'd guess not many but the knock on him isn't agility or "stiffness", it's whether or not he can pass protect at this level.
4. Brown, haven't seen alot of him, he seems like a high value pick. He's worth looking up.
5. Maze- Good slot WR
6. Diehl- Meh, one trick pony I know. I want that trick.
7. Scott- Cant stand this prima donna, stood up UT, washed out at Colorado, transfered and now jumped to the NFL. Give me a different RB. I think he'd pretty well know his place here. If not all it took was a 7th.

Overall I want a little more defense. The Texans need LB depth desperately, this draft you can find good LB's in the 4-5 rds. Also I'm not saying draft a NT high but atleast get a developmental NT later in the draft. JMHO

Do they? Behind Ryans and Cushing they've got Dobbins and Mister Alexander who have both exceeded expectations as well as Sharpton coming back. Maybe they need someone else but I don't think it's down to desperation. The no DL depth is a problem with this mock but hopefully with Rick Smith's post-draft record being pretty shiny he'll be able to find someone like Tydreke Powell from NC, 6'3'' 310 DT, Deangelo Tyson or JR Sweezy who physically resembles JJ Watt.

Back