My letter to HEB

Discussion in 'Texan Tailgate' started by TEXANRED, Jul 9, 2010.

1. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

And their response:

God I am bored.

BIG TORO likes this.
  2. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

I didn't realize that HEB sold Cowboys merchandise, however, I'm usually there for the steaks. Lately, they've had some awesome sales.

What type of merchandise do they sell? I am most impressed with Albertson's in Dallas who has an entire Cowboys section where I can purchase from jersey's, checkers, and houseslippers to paper towels, bbq sauce and charcoal to list only a few. I always stock up when I'm there. I think it would be great if some of the supermarkets in Houston would have a similar marketing concept for Texans merchandise. I'm surprised that stores such as HEB or Krogers haven't cashed in on the concept. Albertsons have not only a wide variety to choose from, but excellent prices, not the inflated prices because of the label.

3. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Unfortunately I think many in Houston do care about the Cowboys. If that stuff wasn't selling I highly doubt they would be putting it out there.

Until the Texans actually start doing something of real significance on the field us fans are going to have to keep putting up things like this.

4. BigWig

BigWig Bigimus Wigimus

Good luck, we have the same issue here in Austin with our HEB stores selling Cowgurls stuff. Heck our Academy stores are selling Colt McCoy Browns jerseys now.

5. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

The new one over on 2920 and 45 and also the one that is off of Rayford and 45.

The 2920 store is pretty big and really nice. The wall that is in front of the cashiers is filled full of sport products, college stuff, A&M and UT. Shirts mainly, some cloth bags and other stuff. It's not just Cowboy stuff.

What really pissed me off were the foam coolers. I know what your thinking, how trivial, don't I have anything else to worry about? Well yes I do but it’s the principle. In the beer section they had a ton of Cowboy and UH coolers, no Texan coolers.

Honestly when you get down to my core beliefs I feel you need the Cowboy fans in this city cus it gives you something to talk about during the offseason and it’s always fun to talk smack to one another.

I like to yell down the hall at one of my buddies that is a Cowboy fan and give him crap. Like yesterday for some reason he brought in his Cowboy jacket and laid it down on his chair. Well I saw it laying there so I walked in and squatted over it and pretended like I was throwing a deuce and then walked out of the office and told him he may want to evacuate the premises.

I laughed.

I just find it offensive that in my own city and the team they are supposed to be sponsoring I can't find any Texans gear when they sell Cowboy stuff. That is what I find disrespectful.

In fact if they don't have Texan's stuff along side the Cowboy stuff in equal quantities when I do my grocery shopping on Sunday I am going to email the Texans and let them know that one of their sponsors is not supporting the team. I can't imagine the Texan organization being very happy about this.

6. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

Don't get me started on Academy. The only thing I could find in the Round Rock Academy that was Houston based was a non-fitted ugly Astros hat. That was it.

The Academy in Lubbock doesn't even sell Texas Tech gear. WTF?

7. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

They suck! And the RR outlet mall Reebok store barely carries anything Texan as well. :pirate:

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Blue Crew does NOT endorse H-E-B!

9. dc_txtech

I haven't been out there but that sounds about par for the course. My sister drives to Houston about once a month, last year I asked her to stop by the Academy to use this gift card I got on something Texans. She came back with an Oilers hat :facepalm:

10. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

That deserves two! :facepalm: :facepalm:

All I can say is we Texans fans deserve more!

11. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

:facepalm: Sis!

12. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Go to the Academy at kirby and 59 (what, 10 miles from Reliant?). About 4 to 1 Cowboys to Texans ratio last time I was in there.

I love how the Texans' biggest sponsors carry so much Cowboys stuff.

13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Retailers carry what sells. It has little to do with Texans record. If fans demand and pay for the products, it will be stocked. There goes that responsibility thing swinging right back where it belongs.

ChampionTexan likes this.
  14. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

One thing the Cowboys don't do is take for granted that because of their fan base people are going to automatically buy their merchandise. I would love to see their marketing budget. It has to be massive.

I have been told that various businesses pay premium prices for the best shelf space to display their products. It isn't by accident when going into a supermarket and seeing a big display of Lays Potato Chips out front and prominent, then walk down the chip aisle and see Lays produts taking up much of the space, and all others crowded in the space that's left.

Revisiting the Albertson's setup. In order for the Cowboys to have a little store within the store probably contributes generously to Albertson's bottom line.

15. San Antonio Texan

San Antonio Texan Rookie

I Work for HEB and I find that you do not endorse HEB rather funny.

I live in San Antonio, and when Hurricane Ike devastated the region, what other grocery chain responded to the needs of Houston/Galveston like HEB did.

Just some of the facts of that time period –

HEB mobilized and had ice in communities, for free, when FEMA had nothing or had run out.

HEB mobilized and had 20 to 30 stores back up with in a week while competitors had barely a handful. This allowed customers to get greatly needed supplies from baby formula to bread.

HEB chartered a helicopter and used a private jet to move key personnel to Houston from other parts of Texas to help restore service to the community. I know as I was one of the people they sent to Houston to help restore the bread making and other facilities.

HEB had convoys of tractor trailers on the road within hours stocked with relief supplies needed in Houston after the disaster.

HEB bought and rented enormous generators to run there stores so communities could get to supplies.

Did HEB make a profit off the disaster? No, we leased huge trash dumpsters for each store just to throw away the frozen food/produce/wasted or rotting foods in the stores. Just in this one instance of a natural disaster HEB put there money, time, and effort to help the community of Houston/Galveston.

So, personally I can’t understand that you feel you need to boycott HEB over clothing when the company has done so much to help the Houston community.

Companies sell what people want to buy. Have more people send emails asking for Texan items and I am sure they will listen.

StarStruck and TEXANRED like this.
  16. Lauren

Lauren Nom Nom Nom

I love HEB and I loved how they handled Ike. HEB was a godsend for us through all of that!

Our HEB at Kuykendahl and Woodlands Parkway carries tons of Texans gear and very little Cowboys gear. We got this rockin' Texans thermos-y drink dispenser there last weekend. Can't wait to use it during football season!

ChampionTexan likes this.
  17. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Why you got to bring logic and reasoning into this conversation? This is about hating the Cowgirls, pure and simple! :tiphat: to HEB for their support during Ike.

18. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

I am going to attempt to not type something you are going to take the wrong way. First I would like to thank you personally for contributing your time and spending time away from your home and family. When I was working as an insurance field adjuster I too did some CAT duties and it sucked. I also was still writing auto claims during IKE so I know exactly how much of a pain in the ass it was.

Second, all the people who came over and helped out I believe did it for the purest of intentions. That and the CAT pay, which if it was anything like GEICO's then all I have to say is "Oh hell yea."

So don't take this wrong b/c it's about the corporation, not the individual.

But......HEB as a corporation did not lose anything. Everything they "lost" was either covered under their insurance policy or written off as a loss and got that tax break at the end of the year.

Not to mention how great of PR is that? How great was it just now being able to use that card?

So HEB as a corporation, not the individual mind you, lost nothing and boosted their image a thousand fold.

And that is a load of crap when people say people buy what sells. I see waaaaaay more Texan gear then Cowboy gear on the everyday individual here in Houston. StarStruck has a great point about companies paying out money to display their goods. Maybe the area of town I live in there is a condensed population of people who are from Dallas. Maybe b/c both stores are right off of 45 north they feel they get a lot of Dallas traffic from people going back and forth.

Whatever the case is it doesn't matter b/c NOT having the locals merchandise is a huge slap in the face. It tells me that they don't care about me. Thats like someone coming into our country and expecting us to speak their language and have all of our signs in their language and having our money support their family and letting them use the services we pay for so they can use it for free.

So write HEB my fellow Texans! http://www.heb.com/welcome/contactUs.jsp

And be nice about it. Nothing vulgar. :goodluck:

19. dc_txtech

I'm not so sure about that. The Academy in Lubbock carries more ATM gear than TxTech. NOBODY in Lubbock is an Aggy. UT gear sells to the locals and the college kids wear Tech gear.

I think I like StarStrucks theory better.

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

^^This^^

Or do we think there is a greater conspiracy at work? I wonder who is on the board of directors for H.E.B.

But I have a feeling, the only ones buying Texans gear, is us.