My Keys to Beating Jacksonville

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansAllTheWayBaby, Nov 2, 2005.

1. TexansAllTheWayBaby

TexansAllTheWayBaby Veteran

A big divisional mathcup will take place this Sunday in Alltell Stadium located in Jacksonville, Florida. Our Texans will battle the Jaguars in hopes of forming a winning streak, and possibly starting to turn the tables.

The Jaguars are a tough team, and hungry for a victory. Then again, so are our guys. I belive the Texans must do the following in order to have the best possible chance of pulling this one out Sunday:

- Better passing plays on offense. Go deeper to Mathis or Gaffney more often on the play-actions. This will teast Jacksonville's secondary and give us a chance to gather more confidence and momentum.

- Continue to force turnovers on defense. This will setup more oppurtunities for our offense to put alteast some points on the board.

- Solid special teams (hit the field goals, get some solid returns from Mathis).
    This will also get momentum going, in addition to obviously setting our offense up with good field position which is critical.

Cheer us on Sunday, it's a big game!

Go Texans!:texflag:

2. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

For the Texans to win, Mathis needs some touches.

3. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno......but I think we'll be OK if we score more points than they do.

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Weren't the Jags "hungry for a victory" when the Texans skunked them in Alltel last December? If I remember correctly, a win over the Texans would have put them on the threshold of a playoff berth. And they came out and layed a dinosaur-sized egg.

The Jags should beat the Texans this Sunday. They're a better team. But they've been a better team everytime the Texans have beaten them. My key for the Texans to beat Jacksonville is to show up ready to play. Then watch the Jags self destruct. :popcorn:

5. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

The Jags have a different OC and their coaching is better than ours. Our D is very suspect and I think we are going to have some real problems defending against the Jags. In addition I fear their D and what might happen to Carr. I think this is going to be a very difficult game for us.

Mathis continues to be a key along with the possible return of AJ.

Armstrong needs to get some touches along with Gaffny.

Bradford needs to make a wrong turn and miss the game.

The O-line needs to play a lot better than they have.

I would think we are at least a 14 point underdog to this team. Could we win, yes, but I think its unlikely. We need to get out of this game with as few as injuries as possible.

6. thegr8fan

thegr8fan All Pro

you can forget the deep pass to anyone, Jags will be all over Carr before he has time for a slow timed long range play to develop.

other than that, I agree totally with Ibar. Especially the Bradford catching the 3 day flu on Saturday and missing the entire game.

7. samomin

samomin Veteran

Also we need to have a better rush defense otherwise we will be seeing their second and third string RBs at the end of the game.

8. touttail

touttail All Pro

Capers :homer: says we need to execute! :sarcasm:

bobby 119C:brickwall

9. jagibelieve

jagibelieve Veteran

I think you guys should be hoping to be able to run on us. Forget about passing, just look at what we did to Manning and the Colts. You also better hope that your run defense shows up. Special teams won't win this one for you.

10. playoff year please

playoff year please Veteran

Win one of the statistical columns..turnovers..kick return avg..something, that is a win.

My key to beting Jacksonville....score more points.

11. Bull Pen 1

Bull Pen 1 Hall of Fame

Bench Carr

Start Ragone

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Carr's record vs. Jax (3-1)
    Rag's record vs. Jax (0-1)

Doesn't look like a good idea to me. But then again, I'm not a Jaguars fan.

13. rafterticket

rafterticket Veteran

You're killin' me. I make the same joke about Dommy.

Here is a third for putting Bradford on the wrong plane.

14. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

We need to have our weapons on the field - Walker, Babin, AJ and Mathis being healthy would be great, not to mention Wiegert and Wong. If I am not mistaken last week's game was the first we had Walker, Babin and Mathis playing together and it yielded more pressure, TO's and terrific special teams play.

It will be intersting to see what type of results a healthy team would yield. If we had all the parts an 8-8 season would have been a plausible reality.

15. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I've cringed over and over while the majority of the fans bash Walker and call for the team to cut him over and over when he is obviously (at least to me) our best lineman by far. When he is in the game the offense has got to double him. Single teaming Walker is a mistake that most teams don't make and it frees up someone else to beat a single team somewhere. Nobody can beat one-on-one blocks better than Walker on this team. His sack at the end of the game pretty much forced the Browns to dump any hope of a tie game with a field goal.

16. I agree, Walker is making his money right now. He's been fired up since being back. I hope this continues as he has a history of being out on sidelines. I say the same thing for Babin, when he comes in he's on fire. The pass rush is there, but we just are not blitzing and our zone coverage is horrendous. I don't know if it;s the play calling or not, but when I see P_Buc slacking off into a zone area and not knowing where the players are, that just bites into me. Our safeties are not playing heads up either, they need to be aware of what the offense is doing. We don't have smart field generals, they are reacting to the pass too much and not putting themselves into positions where they can make the plays.

17. Oh, wait....that was against the Browns. Let's see what he does against the Jags.

18. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I can't argue with you about AJ and Mathis: everyone agrees about AJ but
    now, out of the blue, Mathis has become our most explosive player and one
    of the offense's MVPs. If he can stay healthy, the sky may be the limit.
    But Walker - OK he had a good game last week with his return but he's just out of action too much. And a lot of times when he's out there - well, let me just say that Seth Payne is the one D lineman we can count on to give it his all on every play. And Babin is still on probation - if he's healthy again here in his second season, maybe we'll see that huge improvement over his rookie
    year that's suppose to come with his conquest of the learning curve on the conversion to OLB. But its not enough to have the potential, still got to deliver on Sundays and get us some sacks.

19. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

And Marcus Coleman needs to wrap-up and tackle!!! How many times has he slid down an offensive player like they were a well lubricated fire pole. :brickwall

20. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

The offense needs to improve and the defense needs an overhaul. The jags are a great team this year. Del Rio is definitely a better coach than Capers. He showed he was willing to take a risk in Byron, and Matt Jones is looking like one of the best products of the '05 Draft. If they don't run over us, they will throw over us.