My first mock draft of the year (3 rounds)

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by YoungTexanFan, Oct 17, 2005.

1. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

I'm very short on time...hence only 3 rounds... but here is a first go at a mock for this year. Look it over and post your mocks and explain why you agree or disagree w/my picks.

1. D'brick (LT from Virginia)
    Best LT in this years draft and he is sorely needed on our line.
    2. Max gean-giles (Guard from georgia)
    Just one more piece to add to the new line.
    3. Elvis Dumerville (DE from louiville)
    Pass rushing machine with good size and great lateral speed. Ball hawk.
    3. Slay...(safty from Tech.)
    His hits remind me of Roy Williams...good value.

2. YoungTexanFan

no opinions? no comments? NO ONE ELSE HAS A MOCK DRAFT???

personally im looking foward to seeing all of the mocks from people like beer-lover, d-rek, and some of the guys from last year.

3. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Dumerville wont last till the 3rd. Here's my first idea

1. Dbick-no brainer
    2. Bobby Carpenter- Excellent passrusher, good size, overshadowed by AJ Hawk.
    3. Erik Gill (TE from Pitt)- 6'5, 240, reliable target
    3. Slay

4. YoungTexanFan

if elvis keeps playing like he is he wont last, but maybe pick him up in the second because i feel giles will go late first to a team like indy or new england.

5. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

If Max Jean Gilles is available in the second round its a no brainer.

6. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

1. OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Virginia
    2. OLB Thomas Howard UTEP
    3. TE Jeff King, Virginia Tech
    3. OG Mark Setterstrom, Minnesota

7. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Some of us like to see the body of work for the 2005 season first. Making mocks right now just place players in slots based on reputation. There is a ton of football to play. The danger of falling in love with a guy based on a few early games is that he may be pulverizing chumps that will never sniff the NFL. Go take a look at Kipers draft board....I guarantee you that it's not going to be the same in April.

8. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

others of us wait to comment until the underclassman officially declare for the draft. there is enough "body of work" to from a basis of opinion but it only takes one addition or subtraction at the top of the board to cause major changes.

you can do a "all senior mock draft" but for now its probably more helpful to make your own draft board and rate the players as you see them, marking the underclassman with *. then in March we can get serious & have some fun. frankly I feel the fans on this board have done and can do a better job than what we've seen so far from Casserly, you can take that to the bank :pigfly:

9. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Yeah trade a 2nd and a 3rd for Ricky Williams..........

10. Vinny

On some but not all, but I agree with you on balance....

Some things I keep in mind when I watch NCAA players (I have a College Fantasy team every year as well) Not every top prospect goes against a quality opponent or player each week so you have to see them against multiple teams in multiple situations.

If say Vince Young never played OSU and made those clutch passes to drive and win the game in money time vs a tough defense I may not have as high an opinion on him if he only hammers the weak sisters of the poor. He can put the ball where it needs to be...and has proven that to me....but the point is I really like to see big time players play big vs other big time players. It's hard to get me excited watching them tear up lesser quality opposition that will never sniff the pros.

I think a big mistake most make is to just look at stats in College and try to extrapolate them to the pros...but at the pro level there are no weak links to exploit. Scatback types always shine in College...where they tend to struggle in the pros where there is less variance in speed...and speed is everywhere. That same 100 yard field is much smaller in the NFL. Breaking tackles is a much more coveted skill than pure breakaway speed alone.

I also think it is a mistake to assume that the Colleges are being truthful about the size of their players.

I have nothing against early mocks....I read most of them...but I was just answering why YoungTexanFan wasn't getting much response. Early mocks help the other fans get familiar with the prospects...and heck, the draft is all we have to look forward to this year.

11. beerlover

speaking of mock drafts, Vinny can you pull last years 1st Mock draft on this board where you were the GM of the Texans? it would be nice to see how a real GM picks, all I can remember now is that you traded down, I think twice, then selected David Baas somewhere around #22 and picked up Canty in the 2nd rd. you did a real nice job (thought at the time) now in hindsight it should look even better :)

12. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

Here's the recap. Mock 1.0 Recap

Used the thread search tool to find it. Makes it pretty easy for those who want to look up old threads.

13. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

How about by what we need by position. Here is my mock draft, position wise for the first three rounds:

1st: Trade down and for an offensive lineman,
    then draft OT
    2nd: LB/DE
    3rd: TE, No risk again on Joppru

Not sure how many picks we get but that is where I would begin.

14. YoungTexanFan

thats more of what i was trying to imply through an early mock draft because my opinion of many players will change dramaticly over the season. I will follow players more closely though if others show what they have done up to this point.

I am also trying to point out people i feel could help us if we were to draft them. beerlover is right when he said it is too early for anyone but seniors and vinny was right when he said it is too early to put together a complete mock draft and expect it to hold up, but as for me, this is what i am looking foward to this season. I love the NFL draft.

15. beerlover

16. Vinny

LOL, I had a hell of a draft. My first day draft was David Baas, C/OG, Michigan, Chris Canty, DE Virginia, Demarcus Ware LB, Troy State, Luis Castillo, DT, Northwestern

I will get the mock draft forum up early this year if you guys want to start pre-mocking soon.

17. YoungTexanFan

vinny you know we want one early this year. i know myself, beerlover, f-minus and the others who were really into the draft especially want one early this year.

also...for now could we start a top prospect list for only seniors. we have one that is mixed and does not list my positions in groups.

18. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Three rounds no trades
    Round 1 D Brick
    Round 2 Greg Eslinger
    Round 3a MLB Spencer Havner UCLA
    Round 3b TE David Thomas UT

19. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Id love to have a list of only seniors. Its confusing trying to remember whos a junior or whatever.

20. Blake

Blake MMQB

Right now we have the #1 pick for the draft. So here is how I would try to work it.

#1. (#3 overall) Trade down 2-3 spots, pick up a 2nd and get LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson from Virginia.

#2. (#33 overall) Focusing on offense again we go for a big guard. OG Davin Joseph of Oklahoma. Or Max Jean-Gilles.

#3. (#35 overall) Switch to defense for this one. Since we have a new coach who is going 4-3, we take an ILB. Abdul Hodge of Iowa.

#4 (#65 overall) Back to offense. Jason Avant, WR from Michigan.

#5. (#75 overall, pick from NO) Dominique Byrd, TE from USC.

Recap.

Tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    Guard Davin Joseph
    ILB Abdul Hodge
    WR Jason Avant
    TE Dominique Byrd