Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

My final 2024 draft mock

badboy

Hall of Fame
2.42 CB KoolAide McKinstry once considered best corner in draft. I think his passes defensed dropped due to teams throwing away from him (15 down to 7). His team mate & my favorite Terrion Arnold with 12 in 2023. Arnold availability here will of course depend on at least 2 teams taking others. I have odds of him being at 42 behind Newton. Arnold considered "safer" pick but Kool possibly has higher ceiling playing opposite Sting.

2.59 LB Peyton Wilson great size at blinding speed with good skills & abilities.
  • Wilson, meanwhile, claimed the 2023 Butkus (best linebacker) and Bednarik (top defensive player) awards. He was a unanimous All-American selection and the 2023 ACC Defensive Player of the Year after he logged 138 total tackles, including a conference-best 17.5 for a loss.
www.msn.com › en-us › sports

3.86 RB Blake Corum remained in back of mind no matter who I mocked here. He makes touch downs. Many touch downs. Very strong with 225 x 30 + his shuttle & 3 cone were good. Slippery with plug and play in all offensive schemes. He needs refinement in PB but is willing and this season CJ will not need it as much. A difference maker putting points on board; a lot of points. *If CB not taken by here, I would take one.

4.123 WR Brenden Rice another player who keeps saying "pick me!" Allows coaches time to have Rice develop behind our starters. If he is half of his dad, he is a keeper.

4.127 OT Javon Foster may be a bit high but if Howard goes out; I think Foster could beat out Heck before season out.

6.188 DT Khristian Boyd may be too low for him but I did see a mock with him round 6. I realize most are clamoring for a higher selection for this position but value + what we have now; it can wait.

6.189 CB Decamerion Richardson by Ian Cummings a possible diamond.

Decamerion Richardson’s Draft Profile and Measurements​

• Height: 6’2 1/4″
  • Weight: 188 pounds
  • Length: 32 3/8″
  • Wingspan: 77 7/8″
  • Hand: 8 7/8″
  • Position: Cornerback
  • School: Mississippi State
  • Current Year: Senior
Prospect evaluation is ultimately about projecting what players can be. And in that exercise, Richardson stands out as a high-potential investment for NFL teams to consider.

Richardson first joined the Mississippi State Bulldogs as a three-star recruit in 2020, joining a defensive backfield that’s produced NFL talents like Martin Emerson and Emmanuel Forbes.

In his third year, Richardson saw his first full-time starting action, amassing 85 tackles, a tackle for loss, and three pass breakups in 2022. In 2023, he reached a career-high seven pass breakups and declared for the 2024 NFL Draft with eligibility remaining.

Richardson sometimes gets lost in the 2024 NFL Draft class, but all of the physical tools are there, and at its best moments, the tape is extremely compelling. At the NFL Combine, Richardson reaffirmed that potential with a 4.34-second 40-yard dash, a 6.96 three-cone, a 35″ vertical, and a 10’8″ vertical.

All of the measurements and testing numbers tell of unmatched upside with Richardson — but are there silver linings on the tape to warrant taking him early in the 2024 NFL Draft? That’s what we’re here to discuss.

Time will tell. but to me there's no way they wait until round 6 to draft a DT and draft a LB in the second unless all their DT's rated highly are gone. In which case, expect the DT to come off the board in the 3rd.

I also don't see them taking a RB in the 3rd. I could see the 4th, but not before. And, more likely, round 6 or 7. Why draft a guy in the 3rd who will never crack the starting line-up?

They signed Mixon to be the bell cow for three years. It's not logical to me.

The day 3 picks I have no major issues with but nobody makes me jump up and down. I'd be somewhat disappointed with this draft. They must come out of this draft with a DT who can push to start early in his career. You're not likely to get that in round 6. Just sayin...

Time will tell. but to me there's no way they wait until round 6 to draft a DT and draft a LB in the second unless all their DT's rated highly are gone. In which case, expect the DT to come off the board in the 3rd.

I also don't see them taking a RB in the 3rd. I could see the 4th, but not before. And, more likely, round 6 or 7. Why draft a guy in the 3rd who will never crack the starting line-up?

The day 3 picks I have no major issues with but nobody makes me jump up and down. I'd be somewhat disappointed with this draft. They must come out of this draft with a DT who can push to start early in his career. You're not likely to get that in round 6. Just sayin...
When you say push to start early in his career, how early?

Would you feel this way if Collins hadn't been traded? Because to me Collins was solid but very replaceable. In fact I would say Futasi and Settle are at least on par with Collins. They need a DT that can rush the passer so they can have a dominant pass rushing DL. Hall/Newton/Dorlus fit this bill IMHO.

When you say push to start early in his career, how early?

Would you feel this way if Collins hadn't been traded? Because to me Collins was solid but very replaceable. In fact I would say Futasi and Settle are at least on par with Collins. They need a DT that can rush the passer so they can have a dominant pass rushing DL. Hall/Newton/Dorlus fit this bill IMHO.

I'd feel a little better with Collins and a lot better with Rankins. You're Hall/Newton/Dorlus types are the guys I'm looking at as well, and you're not finding those in the 6th round.

Newton would be an instant starter. He's a first rounder in my mind. I don't see how he falls to 42, but if he did, I'd run the card up so fast, I'd lose my shoes on the way. Maybe due to injury status? The others are 2/3 rounders with starter potential, but would likely be rotational guys this year and then possibly start next year. We need both depth and talent at DT. I'd draft one in the top 3 rounds this year and come back again and do the same in 25. Settle and that level of player (similar to Collins) have real value, but they aren't studs or obvious starters on a Super Bowl-level team.

Who is this 3rd round DT you take over Boyd? Sweat? I don't see Ryans doing that but maybe if he was there at 5. I don't see need for a nose tackle that you do; even less if they get LB in second.

point 2 Mixon would be the bell but Corum the TD guy. Numerous examples over the years about tandom running backs. I would not take any RB at 86 just Corum. We do not need just another RB rather one that scores. Again convince me we need a day two DT.

Last edited:
Who is this 3rd round DT you take over Boyd? Sweat? I don't see Ryans doing that but maybe if he was there at 5. I don't see need for a nose tackle that you do; even less if they get LB in second.
If the Texans were to draft Sweat, he would line up in the DL1T position most of the time, with the flexibility to line up in the DL3T position.

If the Texans were to draft Sweat, he would line up in the DL1T position most of the time, with the flexibility to line up in the DL3T position.
yep and I just can't see him in day two.. day 3? I probably would just add him into my prayer that Ryans could get him under control. Our run defense just wasn't that poor and we've improved in FA.

One wonders how long he will last though.
Perhaps Doc can give his spin on it.
In my non professional opinion, this is fake news. You simply never have an acl completely removed without a replacement ligament graft. Wilson either had acl repair or he had acl reconstruction. The issue with his acl was well known, nothing new, and the medical question is how sucessful was his surgery. He's played on his knee 4 years since 2019 (only 366 snaps in 11 games in 2019) plus the 2021 season when he didn't play because of his shoulder injury. I imagine the more immediate concern may have been his shoulder, but I'm just guessing.

Last edited:
In my non professional opinion, this is fake news. You simply never have an acl completely removed without a replacement ligament graft. Wilson either had acl repair or he had acl reconstruction. The issue with his acl was well known, nothing new, and the medical question is how sucessful was his surgery. He's played on his knee 4 years since 2019 (only 366 snaps in 11 games in 2019) plus the 2021 season when he didn't play because of his shoulder injury. I imagine the more immediate concern may have been his shoulder, but I'm just guessing.
You can not have an ACL. Hines Ward didn’t know he was missing one till his medical at the combine

Back