My case for Chris Obagnnaya to make the team.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by El Tejano, Aug 21, 2011.

1. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I've heard alot of radio people talking about how Chris will be product of a numbers game and will not make this team. I'd like to see Smithiak do the right thing and keep this guy. Here is why:

Young productive running back that has done nothing but fight to get his spot in camp.

Showed he can carry a load when called upon.

Two of your first three have had Hammies this year. Watcha gonna do when that happens to one of them again this season because it will?

has good vision when he runs.

I'm sure real UT fans know how versatile this guy can be (still can't believe the other "UT Fans" on here that talk about bleeding orange on here that didn't know who this guy was), he can line up in the slot and he can play some FB too. The only reason why you didn't know this guy even more so was because he ran behind Jamal Charles. However, he also paved alot of lanes for Charles too.

I have no idea how to make room for this guy but this is the kind of player that you need to have succesful depth on the team.

2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Studdard was a similar player who made team as a battle until he drops then crawls to bite the opponent on the leg. I am hopeful that the days that Studdard/O type players can make our weak roster are over. I want to see Slaton running with the #1s. Your guy has done nothing to make this roster imo. Not saying he will not but has not. Both should get a few more opportunites but time is running out.

3. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

practice squad

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Nope. CBs & WRs and maybe one LT & one OG. Maybe an LB. We have 4 RBs if SLaton does anything & if more than one goes down, we go to FA.

5. TdotTexas2Step

TdotTexas2Step All Pro

I too want to see Slaton get some reps this preseason. Hopefully that strain he has gets worked out and he can get back on the field. Having a 2008 Slaton at even only 50% would be a great part of a Foster/Tate/Ward group.

6. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

I don't really care how hard he fights to make the team. He still has to show something that proves he's better than one of the other guys. His 2.2 YPC in the first preseason game against the Jets & his 3.4 YPC yesterday just isn't going to cut it when the rest of backs are getting 7 yards+ a carry.

7. c10x

c10x Veteran

Not apples to apples. 1st team OL is significantly better.

8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Did not O. start the first pre-season game and play for almost a half?

9. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

He ran with the same Ol that Tate did and was significantly worse. He's just not very good

10. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

agree tate was running with the 2nd, 3rd guys and did well, so Olfjdjkdkd should of ripped that defense apart as well, and he didnt

11. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

have to disagree with that.

12. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

This I did not see. He ran straight into piles. OB27 is practice squad at best and will only be called up if injuries occur. Typical for the fifth best RB on an NFL team.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I like Obagnnaya .... But I dont see him making the roster.

He's blocked and picked up blitzes well , He's caught everything thrown his way in the passing game .... But he doesnt seem to do as well running the ball. He didnt make the cuts that were available ... many times running straight ahead.

With Foster , Tate & Ward and possibly Slaton ahead of him .... I just cant see a roster spot for him.

14. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

You can't really make a compelling case for him unless you learn to spell his name correctly. Same goes for all the jackwagons that still think half our player's names end with an 's'.

15. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

He's jsut not as good as Ward, Foster or Tate. No room for him.

16. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

OBGYN just isn't fast enough or quick enough. Maybe the practice squad for emergency purposes.

sakebomb likes this.
  17. Rey

Rey Guest

I think on texans teams in the past he'd be a shoe in. But now, the talent is just too deep.

I'd try to ps him, but if we didn't I wouldn't care. There will probably be better fa's or late round guys available next year.

18. honored82

honored82 Veteran

I dont see OB27 making the roster too... He needs more practice.

btw, do the people on practice squad get paid ? or are they like FA, and any other team can grab em?

19. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

Just because VY didn't get signed here doesn't mean we need to go sign another UT grad to make up for it. This guy doesn't belong on this team. He's a nice talent in the mold of Chris Taylor, Lundy and Moats. That means he is decent depth on a roster that has a no viable starter and is hoping to rotate 3 or 4 guys in over the course of the season and catch lightening in a bottle. We're not that team. He should call Denver and Washington. Thank God we no longer need guys like this on our team.

Mike

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

We need him for two more weeks ... to take game reps so none of the others have to be on the field. After that .... its either good bye or PS.

(Although I'd like to see Slaton get out there and show some value)