My 2008 Offseason Picks

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TK_Gamer, Feb 20, 2008.

1. TK_Gamer

TK_Gamer Hall of Fame

I think there are some big possiblities this year in the offseason and they don't all cost the bank. For free agency I like the following:

OT Jordan Gross
    CB Randall Gay
    RB Derrick Ward
    DE Justin Smith

I know we cant afford more than a couple of these guys, and Ward is RFA so I'm not sure what the pick requirement for him would be, but he played really strong in relief and showed some sparks of potential in our system. I think Jordan Gross could come in and have an impact on day one in any number of roles, he could cover RT if we move Winston to LT or could play swing for Saalam or Winston, maybe even win the starting LT spot outright. Justin smith is....well he is Justin Smith he has heart, he is quick, and with him at RDE Mario can play at his more comfortable LDE wich makes Weaver expendable(and his overpriced paycheck). Of the DB's available I like Gay the best, I think he has the most upside and the best athleticism.

With the draft I think BPA in round 1 or trade down and pick up a 2nd round pick. Space eating, run stuffing DT and DB's then O-line future prospects and RB's in later rounds.

The biggest problem I see this year is we have alot of free agents to either put under contract or release. I don't envy the front offices job this year, as each decision effects another decision somewhere else. I do feel positive about our Defense, not quite so positive about offense. but with Gibbs we may be able to turn that around too. Thoughts?

2. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Gross got the franchise tag, yesterday.
    I don't know if Gross would have "cost the bank". But, he would have gotten a $50+ million contract. I don't think Smith or Gay would come cheaply, either. Ward? He's an OK backup. Not sure if he's worth chasing in free agency.

3. TK_Gamer

TK_Gamer Hall of Fame

sorry didnt hear about Gross getting the tag, I picked him purely as what I thought was the best O-line FA available, the others are mostly aging guys or mediocre. I also like Ryan Lilja, not sure what his status is though.

4. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Is Gross really worth top-5 OT money?? Not sure that is a great tag by the Panthers.

Gay will be in hot demand too, don't like our chances with him too.

Ditto with Justin Smith.

Derrick Ward is a possibility though, but is he an upgrade over what we have already??

5. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

lilja resigned with the colts
    ward has a broken leg so no
    and i think justin smith would be a bad signing (jmo).. we'd pay too much for what he offers..plus hes pretty old too

6. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Link please because I have not seen that reported anywhere.

7. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

8. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

ILJA SIGNING

9. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Can someone give an evaluation of Gay? I thought of him as an average CB.

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

11. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I can't give an evaluation, but an average CB would be an upgrade in our secondary.

12. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

With this signing and the signing of Clark it could cost them the ability to sign Jake Scott or Ben Utecht.

13. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Gay will be Jason David 2.0: System CB that will suck in man

14. TK_Gamer

TK_Gamer Hall of Fame

Well apparently I picked some good players but as usual some other team thought they were good too :( There are still a few decent FA DB's out there but I have a feeling Smith and company is not going to go after any top tier guys or even 2nd tier for that matter. As far as Ward goes I just liked his play at the end of the season. I truly believe without him we would be talking about a different super bowl winner, because the Giants wouldn't have even made the playoffs. I honestly don't see much in the FA market that's worth going after. Overpaying for quality people is one thing, but overpaying for 2nd tier is sinful. Trufant would be next on my list for DB and Noone would be next on my list for RB. Fargas technically would be in the mix but he has never impressed me. I'd rather take Mendenhal in the draft than blow money on him. Anyone heard anything on Taylor? I think we have plenty of 2nd tier talent in RB allready on the team. But we need upgrades/training on the OL to get the most out of them. sheesh next on the DB list for FA's is Travis Fisher or Drayton Florence. The safety pool is pretty big, but I doubt we spend any money on a safety, there are too many available every year in the draft. I like Madieu Williams though.

apparently the Seahawks franchised Trufant, yikes they are dropping like flies this year.

15. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

With the rise in the salary cap combined with tagging players it's becoming a less and less reality, unless someone really is hellbent, bigger time players hitting the FA market.

Teams like our own are figuring out the earlier you guys guys on contract extensions the better off you are long term. The only way to build a team now will be through the draft and supplementing every once in while with a big name that makes it to FA and depth with smaller FA.

Utecht would be smart to take a decent contract from the Colts.....remember way back when Marcus Pollard was considered a good TE. What has he done since leaving that offense headed by Manning? Nothing.

Fargas got resigned.

There is no way after the Schaub hit this team even sniffs at Florence.

Far as Derrick Ward....I wouldn't mind giving him a look after we see what happens after his leg heals.

16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Yeah, free agency seems to be a dry hole this season. We should still be ok with a very good draft.

17. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

That's not the point Kiwi...the point is they are getting it.

So you have the choice of drafting them or getting yourself into cap hell for bidding on them. The Steelers have left Starks dangeling....he could be had for an exorbadant offer. The upgrade would be marginal at best and cap foolish at worst. Dallas has left Adams twisting in the wind also...but know going in they wouldn't have done that with out thinking about it long and hard for a while. So the big question is why did they do that ? Could it be that Dallas feels at the bottom of the first if they let him walk because of an outrageous bid, they could find a tallent of equal or better value ? we'll find out in the next few weeks.

18. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

I think with all that has been done with the franchise tags I think our biggest target should be Drayton Florence at CB or DE Justin Smith.

19. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

DeShuan Foster?

20. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I'll pass!