Multiple Player Safety Fines May Extend To Teams

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by CloakNNNdagger, May 24, 2011.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

League may fine teams that incur multiple player safety fines

The NFL owners continue to focus on player safety at their spring meeting in Indianapolis.

Hours after approving rule adjustments designed to protect defenseless players, word is leaking out that the league is working on a plan to fine teams for multiple player safety fines.

The idea, per Judy Battista of the New York Times, is to encourage coaching staffs to coach proper technique. Greg A. Bedard of the Boston Globe says that three or four teams would have faced significant fines in 2010 if the rule was in place.

Essentially, teams that had multiple fines for helmet-to-helmet hits will face a pre-determined fine. Bedard writes that Commissioner Roger Goodell hopes to nail down the particulars and start enforcing the team fines in 2011.

Of course, the NFL may embark on the ultimate player safety initiative in 2011by not playing football.

2. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Here is a thought for the owners, instead of finding ways of generating more fines why don't they get the CBA resolved. A lock out means no one is playing so no fines.

Maybe they will fine the players for not signing the CBA.

3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

The potential effect on teams may increase significantly as as the player rules change.

4. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

This will make a big difference on defensive pass rushers. I hated last year seeing Antonio Smith getting called for a hand to the helmet of QB as he throws the ball. It happened a few times that I can remember, but I'm sure others around the league will enjoy not getting called for it (sometimes...). This is an improvement to the game for sure.

5. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

man im getting sick of all these new rules I may stop caring about the NFL soon and sadly my Texans

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I personally never appreciated the player fines levied by the league.

I think it is the teams responsibility to reprimand the players, not the leagues. If the team fails to sufficiently control the player, then the league should come down (hard) on the team.

Unless this is some kind of monopoly. Imagine the Oil & Gas industry fining individual wild catters.

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Purely coincidence, I came across this.......
    Paterno & Penn State would discipline their players, they didn't wait for the NCAA to discipline their players.

The NCAA & the NFL should expect this of all their teams.

8. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

The NCAA & the NFL can demand that from their teams, but they shouldn't expect it. Anytime there is money to be made or a competitive edge to be gained, teams will try to do it...especially in professional sports. That's why there's governing bodies to oversee these teams, the same way there's governing bodies that oversee big business in this country.

Joe Paterno is a relic to another time in this country, it's amazing he's been able to still do things his way, but honestly..how many coaches in college football would be able to operate at a high competitive level like that? It's just a different era now.