MSN Quarterback Ratings

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans86, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Texans86

Texans86 All Pro

MSN's weekly QB ratings. While this is supposed to be objective and quantitative, they admit that these numbers are still skewed this early in the season. Still, there are three key catagories that Carr did well in, and I don't know how skewed they are. He is #1 on 3rd down, 2nd in the fourth quarter (aided by Colts and company), and #3 in the last two minutes. Third down and the last two minutes are not something that can get skewed a whole lot. Either you convert or you don't, as the defense is always trying get off the field. And the two minute drill is extemely important as well. Hopefully he will keep these ratings high in the coming weeks.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5983350

2. real

real Guest

I'm not going to get into the whole Garbage time thing...but....I will say that his stats so far aren't really that impressive considering the circumstances under which he has operated.... I don't want to get into the whole, "he was playing second teamers" bit....but I believe it's easier to pad your stats in a blowout game when you basically have no chance of winning....I would rather Carr perform well when the game is on the line, or when we are actually marching down the field for a win, and not just because the game isn't over...

Not saying that I'm not impressed with his performance...because I do think he has improved and I don't think QB is a problem for us now...I just think within the first two weeks of the season all stats should be taken with a grain of salt especially when you consider when and how he put those stats up...

3. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

#1 on third down? Wow. I would have thought that would be Peyton Manning.

4. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I would agree to say they're a little skewed. As a team we're 7/20 on third down versus our opponents being 17/25. To me, that's pathetic! I personally don't car much for his stats at all if we're not performing well as a team.:twocents:

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

It should be--they are going purely off QB rating and Carr has a longer ypa bumping his rating over Manning's--plus a much smaller sample size.

Carr--5 of 8, 62.5% for 12.5 ypa, 1 TD 145.8 QB rating
    Manning--18 of 25, 72% for 9.6 ypa, 4 TD's 141.7 QB rating

No doubt about it Manning is a better.

DocBar likes this.
  6. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Thanks for doing the research for me. Makes sense now. Still a big improvement for DC and one to be happy about but no reason to mischaracterize the comparison.

7. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

stark example of how stats in football do not translate cleanly as in other sports with more one on one matchups. On mb's around the league there are people who didn't watch the game pointing to the Sunday gameday stats thinking Carr has outplayed Manning. For instance the first Texans pass longer than 11 yards was in the 13 min mark of the 4th quarter against the Colts and the offense has yet to score. Game over at that point.

8. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

Nah, peyton doesn't let his team get to third down.

9. Vinny

He destroyed us on 3rd down ....when the game was on the line. Over and over.

10. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

Yeah, we've got to find a way to stop teams from converting or we won't stand a chance against anyone. On the flip side, our offense has got to stay on the field, eat some clock, and let our defense get a breather. We need to be clicking on all cyclinders for us to win any game this year. There are no "gimmies" in our schedule as I see it.

11. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Yep - he averaged over 10 yards per third down play against us. Since I doubt we held them to negative yardage the first two plays, "destroyed" is a good description.

12. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

The game was basically over on the second play of the game. Vinny is right. Stats can sometimes give you a general idea, especially if someone is consitently producing, but you have to watch the game to really know for sure. For instance, Jay Foreman used to lead our team in tackles. We had people on here thinking he was being dissed because he wasn't considered pro-bowl material. If you were astute, and actually watched the games, you know why Foreman wasn't considered even average, much less pro-bowl material. Anyone know where Foreman is now?

13. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

There was no "Garbage time" in the Eagles game, yet Carr still put up 200 yards, a TD and a passer rating of 102. But of course that doesn't matter to anyone.

14. real

real Guest

Thats not really the point....If you look at D.Carr's numbers so far they would lead you to believe that he is a great, maybe even top 5 QB...Thats not the case...his numbers don't really indicate his level of play....

15. Vinny

Doesn't matter to me. Stats are fools gold. No doubt at all that Carr has improved, but don't cram a stat line down our throats and tell us he is great. If Carr continues to take to Kubiak's coaching he may yet get there since he has every tool in the box...but let's be real about this in the mean time.

16. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

No garbage time? I would say that's extremely debatable. Although the score wasn't totally out of control, for all intents and purposes, once the Eagles scored on thier first posession of the second half, that game was over, and imo, indeed we were in garbage time from that point on.

17. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

Well technically, I know I'm gonna get hammered for this comment, but I honestly think he has the talent to be in the top 5 QB category if he has the time to throw the ball. It's a catch 22 though becuase the ones that are in the top 5 make due with what they have....and what they have is a better O-line than ours, plane & simple. :twocents:

18. real

real Guest

I like kinetic energy....this potential stuff is for soothe sayers....

19. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

To further extend your point, the Eagles could've easily scored on thier final drive. They were moving the ball at will (man that's getting to be a familiar phrase).:crying:

20. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame