Moving Lewis Sanders to FreeSafety??

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by thunderkyss, Jan 25, 2007.

1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I don't know if we talked about this before.... but what do you think?? Could that solve our Free safety problem??

I know some have toyed with the idea of moving Dunta to the FS spot, but he is way too small, and too fast for that..... Sanders IMHO is too slow to play Corner, so is Faggins, but he's too small to play safety.

I think if we move Sanders to Safety, & get some speed at the corner position(I just don't think Clements or Samuels are in our price range) our secondary would be much better.

2. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

The easiest way to fix the secondary is to fix the pass rush. No secondary can cover indefiantly.

Double Barrel likes this.
  3. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

The easiest way to fix your pass rush is to get some DBs. NOT have 4 1st rd picks playing Dline for you.

IT SUCKS! when you dont have DBs that can cover if your a DE, Trust me! I used to loose my mind tell ing my CB to jump everything cause all I needed was just one more second to get a sack or force preasure, Mario on A LOT of plays was right there all he needed was another step or 2.

It goes both ways, it all has to be right, just like a QB and his OLine are 1.......:secret:

thunderkyss likes this.
  4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I agree. Giving an opposing QB too much time in the pocket is always a sure fire way to make sure someone's going to eventually get open. Our pass rush is inconsistent, at best, and non-existent, at worst.

5. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Anyone know if Sanders has ever played there?

The old saying goes you can't teach an old dog new tricks and it must be a pretty big change of approach playing safety vs corner.... correct me if I'm wrong.

I just have this horrid image of more mistakes in the secondary as Sanders tries to figure out his new role.... with WR's making unopposed catches 10 yards behind our deepest man.

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I agree.... for the most part, we weren't giving up too much time to the opposing QBs...

2.5 seconds, we need to be able to cover for 2.5 seconds.

7. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

noble thought TK, but i'd think any possible "answer" to our secondary doesnt include Lewis Sanders. I am hoping for a FA signing like Lewis and a CB drafted in April.

8. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I'm going to go ahead and say its not our DLs fault or our DBs fault. Its a combination of the two. We had an injury ridden, talent lacking DL and a physically inferior DB corp that combined for the problems we witnessed.

9. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

"Show me a defense that can't get to the quarterback and I'll show you 4 defensive backs that can't cover."

--Deion Sanders--

10. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

"Show me DeMarcus Faggins covering a WR one on one and Ill show you a WR having a career day."

-- run david run & lee evans --

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

without a doubt, we need to improve the pass rush... at the same time, we need to be able to cover for some amount of time. If the opposing QB is sitting in the pocket for more than 3 seconds, then the DL is not doing their job.

IF the QB is getting rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds...... predominately to his first read, then we've got secondary problems as well.

12. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Which must explain our 28 total sacks last year, 27th in the league?... :um:

We either consistently pressure opposing QBs or we don't. Sack totals are quite revealing in that regard.

13. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Faggins does fine in man on man in shorter routes.

If our CB's ever had any help over the top there wouldnt be near as many big plays against our secondary. The biggest need on our team is a true FS.

Look at the Dallas Cowboys. IMO they have Terence Newman a good #1 CB. Roy Williams a great SS. Anthony Henry is a above average #2 CB. Then they have Pat Watkins and Keith Davis at FS. Yet their defense lookes terrible.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Because the opposing QB doesn't have to look for his second read.... his first read is always open.. he gets rid of the ball on time.

Most sacks in this league occur beyond 2.5 seconds. Most of David's sacks have come beyond 2.5 seconds.

Of course there will be some in less time. but for the most part, the team has to be able to cover for 2.5 seconds.

15. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

hahaha

Two 83 yard touchdown receptions in a row is impossible. If anyone says that has happen they are lying...it's a myth.....an old wives tale...:shades:

16. wolfscar

wolfscar Veteran

I agree that more speed at CB is essential, but I don't think Lewis Sanders is good enough to start at FS. I think these are probably our two biggest gaps on the roster and I think we need a significant upgrade to both.

I hope you're wrong about Samuels / Clements, although I suspect you're right, but there's a lot of FS/CB talent in this year's draft and a fair amount in FA - I just hope we address both with genuine quality players, whoever we end up taking.

17. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I don't think Sanders is a good enough tackler to be the last line of defense. A nickel safety in passing situations, sure. Not an everydown starter. It would be like Marcus Coleman, Part Deux.

As far as upgrading the corner spot with Clements or Samuel, that would be great. Did anyone else hear the Nate Clements interview on 610 this morning? He's living in Pearland, and seemed somewhat receptive to the idea of signing with the Texans.

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

That was my perception as well, and wondered if anyone else felt that way......

19. K.D.

K.D. Veteran

He might be receptive to the ideal but are we receptive to the price tag!!
    He's gonna try to break da bank, if you know what I mean.

20. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I don't know. Clements will get paid by some team. And it didn't sound like he wanted to move back north. I'd hate to see him sign with the Jags or the Cowgirls, who both have a ton of cap space.