Moulds not the answer?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HJam72, Feb 10, 2007.

1. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4541745.html

The he and him in these quotes is Andre Johnson.

"Next year, I'd like to see him make more big plays," Kubiak said. "And that is going to happen if our team gets more balanced. We saw coverages last season that I've never seen in all my years of football. A number of teams simply said, 'You're not going to throw this guy the ball.' "

"But people started saying, 'He won't beat us.' It was smart on their part. I don't have a number for how many balls I want him to catch next season, but he should be our most explosive player. And the more help we can get him, the more explosive he will become."

The Texans' struggling running game slowed Johnson's production last season as well as David Carr's inconsistency and Eric Moulds' ineffectiveness as a No. 2 receiver.

The Texans will use free agency and the draft to pursue a starting running back, a potential replacement for Carr and a playmaking No. 2 receiver.

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Kubiak has been in the league for decades and debunks the Andre bashers. Andre gets an unprecedented amount of attention and was isolated as the one person to take out of the offense...so it is fitting many of our fans did nothing but jump him and blame him for our woes just to defend DC. classic.

Moulds has no speed anymore...the reason Buffalo let him go...that much was obvious last year.

3. leachmtb

leachmtb Rookie

I say wait a year and draft Earl Bennett out of Vanderbilt. He is on pace to break the all-time SEC receiving numbers next year as a junior. Of course all of you will laugh at me, because none of you have heard of him, but I'll be a Vandy homer just as much as all of you will be a TU homer.

4. Vinny

You don't wait a year to cherry pick a prospect in a draft where you have 31 other teams also looking at prospects....if you wait, you lose....chances are if he is good, other teams know it too. If you have a weakness you resolve it as you see it.

5. leachmtb

leachmtb Rookie

I know, I just get tired of everyone else making ridiculous comments, so I thought I would try to add one early on. More than anything I just want this guy to get some national attention.

6. amazingandre

amazingandre All Pro

Well there really isnt any good wr in fa so i think well have to get one via draft....

7. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

Does this mean that possibly Dwayne Jarrett or Ted Ginn are in the picture in the first round???

Or can you get a good playmaking #2 later on??

8. Vinny

Hines Ward was a 3rd rounder....Terrell Owens was a 3rd rounder.. Joe Horn was a 5th rounder...last year Colston was a 7th rounder (this is really an exception)...but to answer the question....yeah, you can get a playmaker at wr later if you scout well enough.

9. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

Does anyone believe that Jerome Mathis has what it takes to be a reliable #2 on this team, or is he more of a #4/KR strictly

10. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

from what i have read, the WR depth is pretty decent in this draft. it looks like ginn, jarrett, calvin johnson, and dwayne bowe are the most likely first rounders. i am not real fond of taking WR in the first unless the value is just too good to pass up. there are also guys you could likely get in the 2nd round like sidney rice, robert meachem, and anthony gonzalez. i'd prefer to grab somebody like this.

11. Vinny

at best he looks like a wr3 to me...but it's hard to say. One thing I do know is you shouldn't just assume a project will be a player and not address a position of need....and Mathis is a wr project.

12. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

If Marshawn Lynch and Calvin Johnson are available at 8, who should the Texans take?

13. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

Mike Furrey.

14. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

Calvin Johnson, but it doesn't matter cause he won't be there @ 8.

15. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Kevin Curtis, perhaps? Furrey already re-signed with the Lions.

16. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Johnson goes 3 or 4 (tampa)...or 7th if he falls.

17. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno, but does this mean that the Moulds FA acquisition last year was
    another personnel misfire by Kubiak & Co. ?

18. K.D.

K.D. Veteran

Meachem would fit perfect with this team. This guy is big and fast, and catches everything trown his way. If AP isnt there at 8, I hope we trade down and pick up an extra pick in the 2nd rnd, then pick this guy. I never thought of Moulds to be the playmaker he once was, he is a possesion receiver for us at this stage in his career. I'm just pissed that DC didn't even bother to look at this guy more often. One thing he can do is move the chains and get some pressure taken off of AJ.

19. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Probably not from a mentoring standpoint. I know his experience was a big factor in bringing him to Houston in order to give AJ some solid advice and examples to follow.

20. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

Plus he would have or should have been a solid possession reciever, but the league soon figured out that we can't throw down field and all the recievers numbers dropped not just Moulds.