Most underrated player in Texans history?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

here is another one.

I'd have to say Seth Payne on defense

Pitts on Offense

2. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think that the most underrated player in Texans history had definitely been on defense. I just don't know whether or not it was Seth Payne or Gary Walker. Walker went to the Pro Bowl in his first year here so maybe that means you can't call him underrated. I just know one thing. If Seth and Gary don't play like they did then the 3-4 never works here at all. Not even a little bit.

Walker took a lot of heat and it seems like every year following 2002 I remember reading posts from people complaining about him not performing. It took a long time for those same people to focus on Robaire Smith who was a non-factor from the moment he got here. Walker, when healthy was our best defensive lineman by a landslide. If he'd had a couple more years left in the tank and hadn't been slowed by injuries the Texans might have topped .500 under Dom Capers. Capers might even still be here (so in the long run I think it was blessing in disguise for us)

I also know that Gary Walker doesn't make the plays he did without Payne playing as good as he did. When Payne went out in 2003 the entire defense began to fall apart. It happened instantly that day in New Orleans. Yes Walker got hurt later as did a whole bunch of guys but the defense officially began to suck the day Seth Payne tore up his knee and was lost for the year.

3. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

I'll go with Payne as well. I think most interior linemen are over looked though.

4. real

real Guest

I'm going to go with Chester Pitts...

I think he is a pretty good lineman that could start for a lot of teams across the leauge...

He was a victim of guilt by association...He was associated with all the sacks that were given up by us...

I'm going to go look up how many sacks have actually been assigned to him...

YellerLotYeller likes this.
  5. real

real Guest

He's been assigned with 40.25 sacks

If you take out the outrageous amount of 15 that he allowed as a rookie he's averaged around 6 sacks given up a year...

Last year he gave up the fewest of his career with 4.25...Still too many IMO for a guard (I think 1-2 a year is decent from a guard), but I think his near consistent play has been overlooked because of the whole O-line simplistically having been labled 'bad'....

6. Matt

Matt Blogfather

Under the "sacks allowed" criteria, I'm going with Fred Weary.

BTW... did you realize that E.Winston only allowed 2 last year?

7. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

Moran Norris: Look at how the run game suffered at the beginning of last season with Cook playing FB.

Marlon McCree: Had a great season in 2005 after leaving for Carolina. Glenn Earl actually had a better year than him last season statistically, but McCree seemed to always be around the ball.

Billy Miller: Without him in 2002 and 2003 we don't have much of a passing game.

Robaire Smith: Got a bad rap, but put up big numbers in 2005 with 68 tackles which is a lot for a 3-4 DT.

8. Bull Pen 1

Bull Pen 1 Hall of Fame

How many of his sacks were actually DC fault.

9. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Without Norris, I don't think DD/Williams would've had much success running the ball at all. You can attribute those 3 (almost) 1000 yd. seasons to Moran Norris, and he's doing it for his new team now.

10. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

please with the pic there are women and children that see that and some of us ate

11. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

It was only one year, but I guess I'll have to go with Vonta Leach. I'm glad we resigned him.

12. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Aaron Glenn our Secondary really went to shreads after he left and he's been solid in Dallas. A victim of the "whoa someone on the roster is over 30 mentality".

I think Jamie Sharper was also a key component early on.

13. YellerLotYeller

YellerLotYeller nice marmot

Chester Pitts on durability alone.

14. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I vote for the whole starting defensive unit of the first couple years of the franchise. It was really good, maybe even outstanding but was so underrated because Carr and his pathetic offensive unit struggled so much and was constantly leaving the D in horrible field position after repeatedly failing to sustain drives, let score TDs.
    But the Xpansion Draft plus a couple FA signings brought a core of excellect defensive players over here who were experienced vets but still at or near the peak of their careers in physical terms: DLineman Walker & Payne, LBs Sharper & Wong, DBs Glenn & Coleman.

15. hadaad

hadaad All Pro

I'll go with Glenn Earl.

16. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I will go with the 12th man - the fans... For five years we have gone to the games ready to explode. We have already proved that Reliant can be loud, now just give us something to 'really' cheer about.

awtysst likes this.
  17. real

real Guest

I'd rep you for that if the system would let me...

18. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

If that was intented for me, the acknowledgement was all the rep. I needed. Thanks!

19. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

I am not sure about underrated but I do know the Casserly Capers regime was way over rated.

20. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

riiiiight because everybody has such high regard and appreciation for what they did.. isnt there a rule that you have to be rated above awful to be overrated:texflag: