Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Polo, Aug 28, 2008.
What do you think is most likely to happen ?
And why ???
my money's on scooter having a bourbon.
I went with Slaton getting 1275 yards because he looks best of all our backs in this offense, seems to truly understand how to use his blockers and then make his cut at the right moment, and Green stands almost no chance of staying healthy for even half a season much less the entire one.
I voted Steve Slaton 1275 yards. Not sure if you meant combined yards or rushing yard but I think both are a possibility. We haven't had anyone out-produce Slaton so far in the Pre-season.Which to me looks like he'll get a fair amount of touches this year per game. He'd only have to average about 80 yards a game to hit that rushing total and he's capable of breaking long runs.
If our blocking comes together like i think it should about midway through the season combine that if we can get decent production of of either Walker(If he's still around), Taylor or if by some miracle of the football gods Ahman Green can go a series without hurting himself.
Okay.... Now it makes sense.
I went against the trend; Ahman Green healthy for 11 games.
I'd go with Ahman for 11 games.
I'd also go for top 5 offense. Bottom 5 defense
LOL, I didn't see the poll the first time I replied.
I go for top 5 offense.
If Slaton or Taylor gets 1275 yards or they have 4 pro-bowlers on O then top 5 offense is pretty likely.
I think Slaton for 1275 yards and Mario with 18.5 sacks are the most likely scenarios. I went with Slaton.
I'm going with Slaton for the same reason. It seems to be the 'most realistic' of the choices (but I'd be happy with any of them!).
i'm torn between slaton and mario. the single word i could use for mario is determined. i guess "mean" would come close but he's got a focus that i'm not sure i've seen in a long time, 15 sacks or 50, honestly neither would suprise me. slaton has a few injured players to hurdle but once he's out front i think he can hit ~100 per game. 1275 only depends on how quick he gets the starting job, and at this rate it should be pretty quick.
There were a couple choices I felt like I could go with, though the Slaton 1275 is an outside shot, IMO. I guess they all are, though. I voted Walter to the Pro Bwl. I think he's really grasping the offense, has proven to be a reliable receiver, and will likely be one of those guys that has two or three Pro Bowl appearances over his career - in other words, not a guy in the tier of the top WRs, but a guy that can have a few stellar years. Kubiak's offense is very good, so top 5 offense could happen as well. We put up over 5K yards last year with tons of injuries and no running game to speak of.
I with with Walter for much of the same reasons...
The guy has hands like glue...I don't really remember him dropping a pass...
Plus with all the attention Andre will get, and how well Walter is playing, I think he may be poised for a really good yr...
If that's 1275 combined yards for Slaton, that's my choice. I just hope the turf toe isn't serious.
great poll by the way! that was really tough. several of them are possible but none likely. so it was hard. i went with minimal sacks given up. we have a better chance at being efficient that we do of superstar stats just because of the nature of our football team. and that was really the only stat that seemed really like "us".
second would be green staying healthy for 11 games. it's not unreasonable to think he'll play in that many.
Yeah I meant those yards to be for rushing...Shoulda put that...
Where's the Richard Smith gets fired choice?
Really love the choices...
As much as I'd like to see "All of the Above" happen; I went with we're a top-5 offense.
- Can't see Mario getting 18-19 sacks without Weaver/Colvin/Kalu demanding a double teams or you get your wish and we upgrade those positions
- Allowing one sack per game or less is reeeeeally asking for a miracle. I think they can keep it around 20-25, but 16?? Only N.O. did that last year.
- 2nd round of playoffs? That's my real first choice but I was afraid I'd jinx them if I picked it. ...so I'm superstitious, sue me.
- Neither Slaton nor Taylor will get sufficient carries to approach 1200 yds. Green will stay just healthy enough to screw that up.
- Ahman Green healthy for "a full 11 games" - that's not gonna happen.
- 4 offensive pro-bowlers.... this isn't impossible either if we become a top-five offense. AJ, OD, Schaub, Capt. Caveman, Walter (if he has a Wes Welker year) all could have pro bowl "quality" years. Now whether they unseat the usual & customary, big name, pro bowl nominees is another question.
- Amobi gets 9.5 sacks. DTs rarely reach those kinds of sack numbers. I think he'll be lucky to get 5 again.
- Kevin Walter makes the pro bowl - see above. If he has a stud year in 08 he'll be on the league "radar screens". He'll have to have another in 09 to get to the pro bowl. Ask Mario.... and he had name recognition.
- My personal fave: We become a Top Five offense. The most achievable of all the potential occurrences. Last season's top five (yds/game)
Pats - - - - 411.2
Pack - - - - 370.7
boys - - - - 365.7
Saints - - - 361.2
Colts - - - -358.7
Texans - - - 333.6
We were only 26 yds off a top 5 finish last year. If the running game improves by, saaay, 30 yds/game and the passing game doesn't suffer for it, we could be there.
Separate names with a comma.