Morency or Wells?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexanSam, Feb 28, 2006.

?

Who would you keep?

1. Vernand Morency

56 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Jonathan Wells

62 vote(s)
    51.7%
  3. Neither! Hollings rules!

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Let's not take into effect if we draft Bush or not. I'm just wondering, who would you rather keep if we have to cut either Jonathan Wells or Vernand Morency?

I would have to go with Wells. He wasn't the worst runner in the world last year when he had to fill in for Davis. He's also fullback-ish (6-1 252 lbs). I think I remember last year the Texans said they would play him a bit at fullback. Dunno how that worked out, but I could see Wells filling in for Moran Norris if he get's hurt.

Of course, if we had to cut Morency, that's just another waste of a pick. Casserly has already made his fair share of those...

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Morency is going to be in the second year of his contract. Wells is a FA and I'm pretty sure will not be with the team unless he signs cheap. Morency is going to be fun to watch next year and has tons more upside than Wells. Wells will be backing up and playing special team for someone.

3. GP

GP Go Texans!

Wells will challenge to start for someone if he leaves our team. You've got a lot of unhappy RBs out there (Alexander, and Edge, for starters) and that will leave voids on teams as the RBs shuffle from team-to-team. That creates a space for Wells who has definitely turned it around since his rookie year. We know he's not true starter material, but I think he's been consistent enough in his moments of glory to show some teams in the NFL a certain amount of "up side."

He is versatile, as well, with the special teams aspect of his game. This makes it even more appealing to teams who are in need of quality backs who can fill more than one roster spot.

I don't see him staying here. I see him using this past couple of seasons as a way to either demand better money from the Texans or to test the market.

I really do like Morency, and I think he'll supplant Wells this coming season as the season progresses. However....I prefer to have Wells AND Morency on our team, and draft OL after trading the No. 1, so that we have at least three strong backs. But that's just me.

4. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Wells has proven himself as a good backup and special teamer. I'd pick him.

5. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Who exactly can he start for? In a run happy offense, he couldnt hold onto a starting that was his for the taking? I like him as a special team player, but a starter? Stacey Mack, thats all I have to say.

6. SnakeOilTanker

SnakeOilTanker Veteran

excuse me for the being the lone person to thinkg Hollings is the best was funny enough to vote for:)

7. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Well Wells also had a better understanding of pass blocking than any of the guys we currently have.

8. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

I know I must be the only fan Tony Hollings still has, but he is a fantastic runner and I personally compare him to all the NFL greats. Signed, his dad.

9. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I don't see Wells starting for anyone. He's a good 2nd back to have, but he's not a starter. Maybe for the Cardinals, he's probably better than JJ Arrington, but no one else. Indy has Dominic Rhodes as their backup, he can get the job done. He did rush for 1100 yards the season Edgerrin James was out.

10. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

I havent seen enough from morency but I dont really like Wells so as of now I'd go with morency.

11. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

If the CBA isn't extended, I could see an outside chance (10%) of Davis being traded and Wells being re-signed because he is more of a complementary back to Reggie Bush and will give the Texans more of a thunder and lightning backfield.

But I don't think it is going to happen.

12. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

If Wells is a backup then Morrency is a backup's backup. That's the way I see it. Wells is good at blocking better than Davis and Morrency and he's a power runner. Morrency doesn't run with power matter of fact he usually can't run well at all he needs alot of work with his balance and footing. Everyone who says he has alot of upside, I don't see it, in the few games he's played I haven't seen much improvement. Wells to me is better than Morrency.

13. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

dude morency was a rookie. who when he saw the field averaged over 4ypc.

hes basically DD except quicker.

14. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

I like Wells. He's a big boy.

15. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

Wells plays 3 positions, RB, FB, and special teams. Morency plays 1 position, RB. I'd rather us keep a guy like Wells who is alot bigger than having say Bush, Davis, and Morency. But IMO we're keeping Wells, DD, and Morency and drafting Bush. We had 4 RBs last year, why not 4 this year?

16. J-Storm

J-Storm Veteran

Why can't we just stick with Davis, Wells, Morency and a later round RB we pick up in the draft or see who else is available. We can add Bush (really dont care anymore about the Reggie n Vince talk) but we have other areas that need work like TE, OL and the defensive side of the ball. Our RB tandem worked ok last year so why change it if it aint broken I say *shrugs*...

17. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Wells. Hes versatile...he can handle starting when necessary.. he is great on special teams...he can play FB...hes big and durable.

cant ask for more than that in a backup. Morency is less useful. Yah he has more upside..but i dont see him breaking out and becoming a star. Id rather have the depth that can help us in many ways... than the depth that can only play RB and is unlikely to ever completely win a starting spot.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I'd take Wells over Morency on what he does on special teams alone . The fact that he can play RB and FB is icing on the cake. He's also the best blocker of all the Texans backs .... This team needs more players like Wells . I really hope they can re-sign him.

19. mancunian

mancunian Daleks Rule

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irela
    Wells, good in short yardage situations - well better than DD.

20. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

I personally liked the way Morency would run straight into the opposing team on the kick off returns. Good stuff. :sarcasm: