More Plummer Rumors...

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by the wonger need food, Jan 22, 2007.

1. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

2. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Let me say that while I'm OK with Plummer becoming a Texan, I'm pretty far from OK with Shannon pulling any strings.

3. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

Thanks for the info.

I also want to add that if Sharpe could play, he would. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.

It seems like a good thing for Houston to have Plummer come here. It makes sense only because Kubiak coached him, and I think Kubes is less-inclined to bring in Denver talent this year.

4. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

Wow, Now that is news Wonger, good job.:bubble:

5. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Isn't Shannon the new QB coach? If that is the case, I guess he SHOULD have some influence?

6. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

We'd better beef up our o-line if Plummer does become a Texan, because I do not see him doing any better than Carr has done with a line that is inconsistent with protection.

7. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Quiet, you. Carr must be replaced at all costs! Even if it means replacing Carr with an older, more dangerously inconsistent version of himself.

edo783 likes this.
  8. texanfan2100

texanfan2100 Veteran

If I could pull any strings, Shannon Sharpe would stay the hell off of my telelvision. I can't determine who's worse, him or his brother.

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

How many sacks were given up in last nights AFC Championship Game??

I counted a good 4 hits to both QBs that would have been definite sacks had Carr been the QB. Jake would do fine behind our OL.... he might throw a few more INTs than David, but if we don't replace Stanely, that might not be a bad thing.

I honestly think Carr is more Bledsoe than Plummer.

"If you give him time in the pocket, he can be very effective"

that statement fits Bledsoe & Carr more than it fits Jake....

"To beat him, you have to keep him in the pocket..... don't let him get outside, and create"

That will never be said about Carr or Bledsoe. But it is the gameplan against Jake the snake.

10. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Where in the world do you get this from? Carr looked good early this year when he was consistently rolled out of the pocket. When teams began taking away the rollout, he faltered. I'll agree that he demonstrated weak pocket awareness in the latter half of the season, but Carr is *much* better when he is put on the move by play design.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

designed roll outs.... sure, he looked OK. But he doesn't have the ability to scramble like Jake, and "create" when a play is busted.

But David is a straight back pocket passer. Just like Bledsoe, he needs a flood of recievers with crossing patterns to create seperation, where he can deliver the ball in the vicinity of the reciever, and not have to worry about INTs. They both need lots of protection, and good seperation by the recievers. Two things we couldn't provide for him in Houston.

Moving Carr around is something we did, and it wasn't very helpful, I don't think. It wasn't something he did in college, and he never would do that on his own. When David leaves the pocket, his instincts are to run... that's the way I see it anyway.

When we would roll him out, & there was a defender in his face, he'd just try to throw the ball over him.... & it would get batted down. If that were Jake, McNabb, Farve, Steve Young, Joe Montana, Elway, they would pump the ball, get the defender in the air, then run dart to the side, and throw the ball around the defender, and not through him. Those guys are comfortable with working outside the pocket.... David is not.

12. NATHANHALE

NATHANHALE Veteran

I'm not saying this is not true but Carr set all his records at Fresno State as a drop-back passer--over 4000yds/46 tds/less than 200 yds rushing.

13. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Carr has mobility in order to move the chains, but my issues with him in relation to his footwork are - pocket mobility (step up, step over) and staying as a dual threat when on the run before he hits the LOS.

He has shown "flashes" of the latter, but not enough to warrant it as a strength. His deflections, getting tripped up at the line are all red flags that his footwork, ability to process infromation and execute on the fly have never been in synch. He certainly has never made lemonade out of the lemons he has been given, like a Jake Plummer.

14. HomeBred_Texan

HomeBred_Texan Hall of Fame

Or Mike Irving. They both drive me bananas everytime they open there stupid mouths. So this is really no rumor at all, just more BS coming from some jerk on TV who knows a little about a little and not allot about a whole bunch of things...

Did that make sence? LOL...:hides:

15. OrangeCountyTexansFan

OrangeCountyTexansFan Veteran

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think that would be that great of an improvement!
    :texan:

16. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

WHO ???

17. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

The Tyrone Biggums of the NFL.

18. Double Barrel

I don't necessarily disagree with the above....

The difference being that neither QB has suffered over 250+ sacks in five straight seasons. Carr has been conditioned to react in ways that are detrimental to being a good QB, IMO. Can it be coached out of him? Who knows.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about this one, though. I don't see anything so special about Jake that would lead me to believe that he could overcome the inconsistencies that plague our line. Matter-of-fact, I think most QBs in the NFL - save for Vick - would have a tough time consistently dropping back and expecting some time in the pocket if they played on the Texans (I only mention Vick because he's clearly a great runner).

We'll have to disagree about this one, too, because Bledsoe is a statue, while Carr does have some good runs in his history. He's just not a good scrambler in the vein of McNabb, Elway, Stauback, etc.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

That's besides the point.

I'm not particularly ready to give up on David yet.... I just don't think he should be starting next season.

Jake will make you pay if your blitz don't reach home. give him a 3 step drop, & he'll make sure you respect the deep pass. Jake can look at a defense, and know that a run off right tackle would be more successful if you leave Greg Ellis on the sideline covering your TE. Or if you motion your WR from the left slot to the Right tackle, you'd be better off giving the ball to the RB running off right tackle, and not going forward with the reverse when a free blitzer is sitting on the left side.

I personally don't like the idea of bringing Jake Plummer to Houston.... but I'd take Jake over David & Vick any day.
    He's not a scrambler at all.... he's got wheels, but he isn't elusive... he's not a statue like Bledsoe..... I'll give you that. But if you put together a team that Bledsoe could thrive on, & Carr will be able to thrive just as well. You put together a team that David can't be successfull on, and Bledsoe would struggle just as much.

David isn't Elway.... he isn't McNabb..... he isn't Culpepper, or Harrington... he's a drop back passer.

20. Double Barrel

Good points, t'kyss...but on this note, while I agree that the deep threat is probably more realistic with Plummer, I think giving him the ability to feel safe on a 3 step drop is the crux of the matter. I don't think Carr has been afforded the 'luxury' of a consistent pocket that he knows will give him 3 steps on the majority of passing plays. I'm just not sure that Plummer will have much more success with the one-two-BOOM! that we've seen all to often when our QB tries to drop back and pass.

However, Plummer does not have the 'bad habits' that has developed in Carr, much do to the aforementioned 250+ sacks/5 seasons. So Plummer definitely has that going for him.