More Patriot Tapes Turned Over

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by HoustonFrog, May 7, 2008.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3386162

2. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

I think if the article is true, and they did do this...that they should take 2 more 1st round draft picks, suspend Billicheck for 1 year, and make the Pats playoff ineligible for one season.

3. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

So your saying they should punsih them again for the same crime? Goodell releaseda statement I saw on espin that Belichick alreasy admitted to this and it is nothing that was not already known.

4. GP

GP Go Texans!

Goodell isn't going to hammer the Pats again. He's dealt out the punishment.

There's so much spy work going on. Heck, this situation is probably child's play compared to what else is going on around the league.

With Canseco making big bucks as a rat...you're going to see some NFL guys do the same thing: Making books, and bucks, to tell what's going on.

I just think there's big trouble for the NFL's image. At some point, the rats are going to start abandoning the ship. Should be fun to sit and watch what happens. There hasn't been a major book deal for an NFL informant yet, so it's only a matter of time before there is one.

I don't like cheaters, but I'd bet the Pats are taking the hit on this. You just gotta' believe that there's some bigger stuff than this, though.

5. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I don't know.. I know the Patriots got slapped for this, and I thought i read somewhere that Roger would hit them again if the footage was true on this, but again GP ... you may be right..NFL punished them.. now It is up to them on what the previous punishment was for (previous tapes or now with new evidence another punishment)... depends on the p.o.v. of "trial for same crime" scenario

6. Hooston Texan

Hooston Texan All Pro

Goodell said that the lost first-rounder was for taping in-game signals since Belicheat began with the Patriots. So, unless I'm missing something, Walsh's tapes are just evidence of something that Goodell already punished the Pats for. File under: Tell Me Something I Didn't Already Know.

The "other shoe to drop" was if the tapes showed other teams' practices--particularly the Rams. Goodell said that if he had evidence that the Pats were taping practices/walk-throughs, then he would revisit the issue of new punishment for Belicheat & Co. The tenor of his statement indicated that such new punishment would be quite severe.

7. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

From what I heard this AM, included were Bills, Dolphins, and the playoff game with Pittsburgh.. There were 2 other teams invloved as well, as I heard 5 teams and 6 games, so 1 team was hit 2x I guess....So we shall see, looks like division teams and a playoff game. That won't go over that well I would guess ..

8. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

What the hell else could be going on though? if you're already videotaping signals, the only other thing you could do that would be as beneficial to you would be to grab an audio signal out of the air & listen to what they're saying, & that guy is the guy who would probably be doing it. If he hasn't produced it by now, it probably doesn't exist.

I'm not so sure that other teams were doing this crap now. Time after time, these guys were winning games they shouldn't have won, or at least favored not to. Belichick was garbage in Cleveland & then all of a sudden he's Lombardi in a hoodie? To top it off, this year they go 16-0 in the regular season & then fold up in the biggest game of their careers? Does that sound like the patriots of the last 3-5 years?

GP likes this.

9. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Update...the offensive signals was something new

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=fish_mike&id=3387401

10. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

You wish.... hahaha.

It will be interesting to see the take on this one. I know most of you hate the Patriots so you will be asking for a bigger punishment, but we will see how this turns out.

11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

This seems like something that the league might have already knowm but they made it seem like it was something new.

12. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Yep. I am pretty sure that offensive signals were part of the tapes that Belichick sent to the league... but we will never know until Goodell makes a statement.

The only thing new that Walsh could have brought to the table is a tape showing the recording of practices.

13. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I think this story will fade away soon. The NFL is not going to add more punishment if the tapes are basically the same thing they already knew about (and right in line with the admission of guilt by the Patriots).

14. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I sure hope so. It's becoming as bad as hearing about the Vick and Clemmons ordeals. :gun:

15. GP

GP Go Texans!

Rep your way.

16. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

People should really check out the recent South Park episode where Cartman teaches inner city kids to get ahead in life by taking inspiration from Bill Belicheck

Line_Producer likes this.
  17. Line_Producer

Line_Producer Party Rocker

How do I reeeeach theeeese keeeeeds?

lmfao. Rep your way.

18. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I'd like to see them hit with a 2009 first rounder taken, but I doubt that will happen.

Hell, I'd give up 2 first rounders for, what is it now, 2 trophies and a boatload of playoff appearances?

yes please.

19. mariowillshine15

mariowillshine15 Hall of Fame

Bill Belichick already told Roger Goodell about these tapes way back in September and they werent made public till now cause Goodell didnt release the information.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3386833

"Though Goodell didn't reveal it until shortly before the Pro Bowl in February, Patriots coach Bill Belichick readily admitted to Goodell last September that he has been taping signals during games since 2000. With that admission, Goodell levied the harshest franchise penalty in the history of the league. The Patriots lost a 2008 first-round draft choice and $250,000. Belichick was fined $500,000."