moran norris

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by stephen1, Jul 10, 2005.

1. stephen1

stephen1 Veteran

i was listening to 610 and john mcclain was on the air talking about this football magazine that listed the top ten of each position and moran norris was number 3 for fullbacks. i think hes a solid fullback but not an elite yet. what do you think?

2. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

Norris is one of the better blocking FBs in the game. He's not much of an offensive threat, but he's not asked to be by the Texans. He is basically an extra OLineman who can open up holes for DD. If you watch him in the games you'll notice that he absolutely dominates opposing defenders.

3. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

Norris hits like a linebacker when he goes through the hole. he's still got alot of upside. Texans are stacked in the backfield now, which of course is a great thing. the question remains, do we keep 2 true fullbacks and 3 true runningbacks, or do we keep norris, 3 running backs, and wells as a hb/fb.

4. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I believe the latter is a better move.

5. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

I agree. Having Wells be able to be a capable backup/starter and special teams guy could get him to the pro bowl if he keeps working hard. (as a special teams guy)

6. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Wouldn't that be ironic if he gets to the Pro Bowl for those reasons. I mean a few years ago we were assuming the end of the road was near for him and now we feel that he is a contributor to the team. Funny how things change in this league.

7. Jwwillis

Jwwillis All Pro

So the question is:

Does DD need the solid blocking more than Carr needs an additional threat out of the backfield?

I say the Texans need all the solid blockers on the field they can get (at least for now).

8. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Depends on what you want out of a FB. We don't use a FB too much but he is one of the better blocking FB's in the NFL right now. If you want a pure blocking FB in the mold of Lorenzo Neal, Norris is one of the top 5 I'd say.

9. titan hater

titan hater Veteran

I agree...Norris is a top 5 FB. That is not saying to much though...When I think of fullbacks I think of Tim Wilson...He opened up more holes for Earl than anyone of the modern day FB could do now.

10. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

With the new passing friendly rules we just see more spread offenses now. That plus the fact that the wco likes pass catching FB's more than blocking backs, we just don't see that many pure blocking fullbacks as much as we did not too long ago. These things are cyclical though.

11. rafterticket

rafterticket Veteran

I thought it was over for JW, too. He was hard to miss from the beginning (preseason) and by the time he had that great game against the Raiders, his stock must have been high on the sideline. He's got to be my favorite all-around football player in Houston. It's great to see someone working for a living out there.

As far as Norris goes, DD always gave credit to Norris every time he got in front of a mic, and I think brought him in to the press room with him one time after a game. Classy on DD's part, I thought.

12. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I agree with Vinny. A top 5 blocking FB. Don't ask him to do much else, and you'll be fine. I really think that Baxter has a VERY hard time making the team this year. It's really a shame for him, as he went down with an injury, we picked up Norris, and Jarrod has had a hard time seeing the field since then. OTOH, it means our depth is improving, and that's never a bad thing. :highfive: