Monday Morning QB (5/5/08)

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by b0ng, May 5, 2008.

1. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

So, Peter King decided to do a power ranking this morning, and I think some of the results are interesting. Mr. King's rankings of NFL football franchises 1 - 32.

Well fiddlesticks. Looks like our O-Coordinator is too young.

Here's another that you mind find interesting:

Yeah, and people think that posters on this board are crazy homers.

2. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I read that article yesterday and I can't say I agree with 19 but then again if we win people will notice that. Since when does the age of the coordinator impact his talent? Guess Peter wants us all to be middle aged.

3. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

Peter King worships everything from Boston. What a surprise, he's from Massachussetts.

I can't stand him.

4. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I'm not really surprised by it, because the media thinks we've had a poor draft, and have only acquired other teams cast-offs (Brown, Reeves) in the off season. Couple that with the fact that this is the Houston Texans, and I could see him ranking us all the way into the lower 20's.

I think the best part of the article is when he talks about how the Patriots O-line was a big glaring weakness in the Super Bowl, but they fixed the line by doing nothing, and this will work. I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT YUM YUM.

5. hadaad

hadaad All Pro

In King's defense, while I haven't looked at the schedule yet, it's not likely that they play the Giants a whole lot this season. And really, nobody's going to try and pressure them the way the Giants did, are they?

Second Honeymoon likes this.
  6. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

You're right, they did go 16-0 and rolled through at least one tough D-line in the playoffs. The way Peter King writes (and has always written) about the Patriots just makes me want to gag. I can only imagine what the articles will be like if Brady gets hurt on some sort of cheapshot from a D-lineman this year, as King's (and that other no-talent Bill Simmons) articles will probably call for a public execution.

In short, I hate Peter King.

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

#19 King's point seems to be accurate to me.

8. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I disagree as our QB play last season seems to have been much better than in seasons past.

What's the definition of progress?

EDIT: I love having Mondays off.

9. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I interpreted his comments to say he would wait to see if this coming season will be better than last in regards to QB. I think that is correct.

10. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Wouldn't that be true for 90% of the NFL? Specifically with teams who don't have a QB named Manning or Brady?

11. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

On the surface, maybe. But, the Vikings, Bills, and Jets all have shakier QB situations, all finished below the Texans in record, but now are ranked ahead of the Texans. And I'm not even considering the ranking he gave the Packers, when he acknowledges that his opinion of Aaron Rodgers is based upon one half of football.

So maybe Matt Schaub isn't as good as his half season in '97 showed? He's still better than anything the Vikings, Bills, Jets, and Packers can roll out on Sundays. I firmly believe that the Texans & the Titans are better than any of the teams King ranks #13 - #18.

12. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Yeah or pretty much what he said.

EDIT: Actually, if he bagged on the defensive play, and ranked the Texans 19 I'd be a lot more understanding of it. Our defense wasn't so horrible that it was unwatchable, but it was definitely cringe-worthy at times. Watching old ass Jamaal Lewis rip us up for 10 and 15 yard gains in the 3rd quarter of the Brows game just made me sad.

Our outside linebacking and secondary were definite albatross's on defense, and an article pointing that out, I'd be firmly in tune with.

But seriously, just say you don't know anything about said team if you're not willing to do your job and investigate a team. I think all last season proved was that our backup and our starter weren't too far apart in talent that it'd be a huge deal if we lost our starter (unlike the Colts and the Pats).

13. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Um, Carolina? No way they are better than us. Im also kind of skeptical of Clevland at 9. But, what do I know?

14. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Well, Anderson had a very good season. And Delhomme has a track record. I just felt that if King was to make a big deal about Schaub's unproven track record, he should be consistent from team to team. I think the QB position is among the least of my concerns for the '08 Texans.

15. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

That is the problem with most national sprts writers there is no way that they are consistant. the only one I can think of at the time that is sonsistant is Michael Smith of espn.

16. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

As with any set of predictions about the whole league by a sports writer, you can ignore them. It was an interesting read though, and as far as the Texans go, I consider them a little above the middle of the pack compaired to the rest of the NFL, so 19 is to low and 13 is to high.

It was nice to see someone rating us above the Titans though.

17. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

Don't ya just love rankings in May.

18. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

When the Patriots were irrelevant and shitte, he was a huge Giants homer. I think he just ties up the current East Coast bandwagon (even when they all suck) and lets it fly.

i do like the guy but to put the Pats at #1 is dubious. The Giants need to be #1. No question. I was never a huge wrestling guy, but I do remember one saying that Ric Flair used to say. 'You gotta beat the man, to be the man.'

The Giants also lost little talent and added some quality in the draft especially with Kenny Phillips supplementing their defensive back corps...at #31 no less.

19. Second Honeymoon

if you don't think anybody is going to send the heat at Brady like the Giants did, you got another thing coming. The Giants showed a blueprint to beat the Pats and teams in the NFL are always copying other teams. The big question is whether other teams have the personnel and fire to put that consistent pressure on Brady. They certainly won't play the Giants unless its in the Super Bowl...but why not throw the kitchen sink at them? We already know what happens if you don't....

20. Second Honeymoon

I dont think the media has taken us to task over our draft. The Brown pick somewhat but it did address a position of need, even if not the most critical in need by some estimations.

The media has widely praised us for Moulden and Adibi, and you gotta figure we have to count 1/2 of a Matt Schaub as part of this draft as well.

Most grades I have seen have been decent with no fails (like Tennessee). Of course its all speculative until they put the pads on.