Molden, T. Johnson, Hill going on PUP

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Vinny, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

from the nickster over at the dotcom...

2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

What are the Vegas odds of Molden playing a game before his contract is up?

3. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Guys can be removed from this list and be on the roster for week 1 correct?

4. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

He played last year quite a bit on special teams and contributed on some nickel and dime packages, too.

5. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

there are 2 separate PUP lists. It's unclear which these guys have been put on. On the preseason PUP, they can be taken off at anytime. ON the regulare season PUP, they can't be activated for 6 games... Other than that, I'm not sure about the details of the two lists.

6. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I'm gonna assume its preseason PUP, find it hard to believe they would box themselves into having to keep these guys out for the first 6 weeks and be making that determination the last days of July.

In a way its not that surprising, I figured they'd be taking it easy on TJ and Okoye all of training camp. Wasn't Kubiak preaching about how TC this year is going to be less physically demanding so we can start the season quicker?

The only one that surprises me a little is Hill. I didn't know he had a lingering issue that could keep him out of camp. He's the one of those 3 who can't miss time.

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I should have said "play as a CB" as that is what he was drafted for.

8. gary

gary Hall of Fame

If you want your team to be good and ready to pay on day you'd had better hope that no players miss much time.

9. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

The PUP lists are separate but related. You can't go on the reserve (regular season) PUP list unless you've previously been put on the active (pre-season) PUP. I don't believe you can place players on the reserve list until the end of the pre-season, so these guys have to be on the active PUP.

Here's a good article by AJ outlining the basics:

PUP List 101

ObsiWan likes this.
  10. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Oh I agree, but TJ and Okoye missing time won't affect their playing time like it would Anthony Hill whose battling 3 other TE's for playing time. We're relying on Okoye to have a huge season and start and TJ is expected to contribute in the DT rotation.

11. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I understand.

12. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Anyone know what the deal is with Hill? I didn't even know he had any kind of lingering issue. My guess is that with the reduced roster sizes, they don't want to waste a spot on guys that would be limited in camp. I bet all three of these guys play early in the year.

13. Spike

Spike Veteran

I hadn't heard anything on Hill either -- this is not good.

I most disappointed about Moulden. With Dunta out, this would have been a good opportunity to get valuable reps at CB. We have to be checking the waiver wire to look at more CBs - even if they are just bodies for camp. I don't think you can rely on Robinson week 1 (or even the first couple of weeks) if he misses all of camp - which leaves us thin at CB.

Hopefully, we can find a gem late in the pre-season, similar to what we have been able to find at safety the past couple of years. The CB is already a concern for me.

14. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Kubiak mentioned during OTA's that he didn't think Molden would be 100% by the start of camp. I figure he and TJ would be held out for a short stint. Like most others, Hill's the one that surprizes me most.

15. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

D-Rob has the Texans right where he wants them. Behind the 8-ball at CB.

16. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Can't be a roster issue - even on the active PUP, he counts against the 80 man limit. The only reason they'd put him on the active PUP is if he isn't able to practice, and they think there's a chance (even a very, very tiny chance) that he won't be ready by the first regular season game.

With that, don't forget that last year, both Peyton Manning and Dwight Freeney were on the Colts active PUP. In that case, it was just a matter of keeping all of your options open - hopefully, that's the case with the Texans this year also.

17. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Hmm, I was unaware the ActivePUP players actually count against the roster limit of 80. There will be a few players getting a lot of work. Hopefully not too much.

No....he doesn't. Dunta has practically no leverage what so ever.

18. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I'm not too surprised by this. Hill has been labelled by some as "injury prone." He missed the entire 2007 season with an ACL tear and 4 months of the 2008 season with a chest muscle injury of some sort. It could be that he reinjure his "chest" in the weight room. It'll be interesting to see if his absence is related to either of these past injuries.

19. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

Did you see that we signed Zgonina? ugh.

20. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno 'bout you, but 10 million bucks sounds like serious leverage to me ?