Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mock Mr. Irrelevant

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Texans awarded the last pick in the draft also known as Mr. Irrelevant 41 (256) Houston Texans (compensatory selection). Texans owned the rights to choose Mr. Irrelevant back in 2011, selecting Rice DE Cheta Ozougwu, think he reached injury settlement shortly after camp began? Anyway here is more information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Irrelevant winner receives a cool week in Newport Beach, Paul Salata a former NFL receiver has announced the winner making selection in NY @ the draft podium every year since the 70's. In short it is a very cool, always fun time http://www.theundefeated.org/irrelevant-week/about-irrelevant-week/

Thought it might be fun to discuss who the Texans will draft & try to mock him for a change to the #1 overall pick. Anyone up for this challenge?

With the 256th selection, the Houston Texans select - John Urschel, OG. Penn State 6-3 301
urschel_1.jpeg

The embodiment of a student-athlete, John Urschel was selected a first-team All-Big Ten guard and a first-team Capital One/CoSIDA Academic All-American® in 2012. Urschel enters his fifth-year senior season as arguably college football's premier student-athlete. Among the top returning offensive linemen in the Big Ten, Urschel's contributions to the Penn State football program stretch from his leadership in the locker room and on the field to his unrivaled success in the classroom. Penn State's 2012-13 Big Ten Medal of Honor recipient, Urschel is poised to be among the primary candidates for the William V. Campbell Trophy, presented by the National Football Foundation to the nation's top football scholar-athlete. A three-time Academic All-Big Ten honoree, Urschel graduated with a 4.0 grade-point average in mathematics in May 2012, less than three years after enrolling in the University. He immediately began working on a master's degree in math and graduated in May 2013 with a 4.0 GPA. Urschel has begun working on a master's in math education, with the plan of earning a Ph.D. after his football career has been completed. During the 2013 spring semester, Urschel taught a section of Math 041 -- Trigonometry and Analytic Geometry -- to Penn State undergraduate students three days a week in addition to his own academic work and football responsibilities. He also is doing research in multigrid methods and computational mathematics. The hard-working, strong and physical guard had a paper published -- "Instabilities of the Sun-Jupiter-Asteroid Three Body Problem" -- last spring in the journal, Celestial Mechanics and Dynamical Astronomy. Urschel was named recipient of the Ernest B. McCoy Memorial Award, presented annually by Penn State for athletic and academic excellence, in April. The engaging and focused Urschel also is among the squad's most active members in community service activities. The Canisius High School standout opened the 2012 campaign atop the depth chart at right guard and started all 12 games. Following another superlative off-season in the weight room, Urschel will anchor the Nittany Lion offensive line in 2013. He is among the team leaders in the weight room, lifting 500 pounds in the squat. He will have an opportunity to become the 11th Nittany Lion to attain first-team Capital One/CoSIDA Academic All-America® honors twice, six of whom have been selected since 2006.

Certainly not Mr. Irrelevant, done so much & will do so much more but he is graded out in 7th rd. could say something similar about Trey Hopkins, Texas. A lot of great young men/football players slip through the cracks & become undrafted free agents just look at Arian Foster. My thinking would be if he does his former head coach, Bill O'Brian would push real hard for his guy!

Last edited:
If he's there, BL, that's a good pick. I have him as a 6th rounder in the mock I am currently working on.

To answer the thread, I have Kent State's ILB Roosevelt Nix as Mr. Irrelevant. Might not test well, but the dude is a football player.

Johnny Manziel - QB - Texas A&M - SEC

Kid from Texas - has even said he would like to be drafted by the Texans. Even BO'B has mentioned this guy, saying he is "exciting". If you can find some highlights to watch you will probably agree. Even people concerned about off-the-field issues might think he is worth a shot at 256.

TE Rob Blanchflower - UMASS, 6-4⅛, 256 lbs.
Hmm... not sure if this helps or hurts my chances of pegging Mr. Irrelevant? :hmmm:

To recap a story from yesterday, I'm told 22 teams showed up at UMass pro-day primarily to watch Rob Blanchflower work out. Problem is, no one told Blanchflower, as the tight end is still recovering from a sports hernia and won't perform for scouts until the middle of April. There were a fair share of pissed-off scouts who either didn't get the message Blanchflower wasn't working out at pro-day, or never paid attention to it.

Glenn Carson, ILB, Penn State

Round-7-210th-overall-Glenn-Carson-LB-Penn-State-Matthew-OHaren-USA-TODAY-Sports.jpg

Need some depth at ILB, which I don't expect to be addressed early in the draft. Plus OB has been his coach for a couple years.

Jeff (Jeoffrey) Pagan - DE - Bama

He's one of the few 7th rounders/UDFAs I see that can possibly contribute to more than just Special Teams in their careers.

I do these things every year and a million people always find their day 1 starters in the 7th round. I learned a while back, Go For Speed and tackling ability because they're gonna be special teams only for the most part. This guy is my Golden Goose in the 7th round that I am breaking my rule for. I will likely be educated and go back to my original thinking after season's end though.

I think Jensen has a huge upside in this offense. I think I mocked him in the 5th round of my draft.

I like him as well and wouldn't mind taking him in the 6th or 7th if we didn't have so many other needs to fill. He's got text book size, tall, long arms, big hands, etc... for the position and had good college productivity until his senior year when the team switched to a spread offense and didn't use the TE much. I think he fits what O'Brien wants in a TE and could be a steal in the 7th due to his poor productivity his senior year.

Back