Moats or Slaton?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexCanada, Nov 1, 2009.

1. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

I don't think there is any way Kubes can deny Moats playing time after this performance. He looked really strong out there, getting a lot of yards after the initial hit.

I still think Slaton needs to be a big part of this offense, and we should find ways to get him the ball in space. Hopefully this benching today will send him a message.

What do you think?

2. SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 All Pro

moats, been saying that since that raiders game.

3. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

I ride the hot hand with Moats next week and then let Steve have his opportunities against Tenn. after the bye. Maybe he can sort out whatever is wrong with him in that time, maybe not.

4. Scooter

Scooter Funky

moats easily. every opportunity this season, and in preseason, he and brown both have hit the holes harder, shown better vision, and obviously done better protecting the rock.

5. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Moats first, Slaton in on occation to relieve Moats. CJ can... run for 1 yards when we need em...

I want Dayne back for goal-line yards :)

6. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I think Moats laid a pretty good claim on the amount snaps being played. CB did too, with excellent situations chosen to swing the big hammer into the D. He wore on them and Moats' quickness and gritty running did the rest. Slaton can quit doing the itchy pants dance and find a nice warm seat, he may be there a minute. Moats was good on the screens today too but fewer were needed because he was getting the yards running in the lanes and hanging on to the ball. 2 things Slaton hasn't done since last year. I still think Slaton would be more effective as a pass catcher but since ball security has gone right out the window I'm glad to see Kubiak sitting him down. Should've happened a few games ago for my taste.

7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

Moats. He doesn't dance in the backfield like Slaton's been doing. And all of a sudden we can run the ball. I'd give Slaton the Reggie Bush decoy position. Can't trust Slaton with the ball anymore.

8. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Slaton's stat line today:

1 play
    1 yard
    1 fumble

I'll take Moats please.

9. Kimmy

Kimmy RealGirls LvFB!

Moats = game ball(s) .. of steel

10. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

I really think this is going to be a turning point in Slaton's career, but which way he turns is up to him. Either he re-groups and comes back with something to prove and earns his playing time back, or he continues to struggle and start to exclude him from our playbook. Hopefully he fixes this, because we could be a very dangerous team if Slaton and Moats can both play well.

11. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

The real question for next week is, will the o-line control the line of scrimmage. If so, it won't really matter who is the RB. And the Texans will need to run the ball effectively on the Colts, in order to slow the pass rush and keep Manning off the field.

12. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

RBBC without a doubt. Keep the defenses guessing.

13. Ckw

Ckw Guest

Agreed. This is the point in Slaton's career, due to the short career a RB usually has, that he has to show whether or not he is an NFL starting RB or nothing more than a 3rd down back. Can he be a Warrick Dunn or Tiki Barber type RB or is he more like Michael Bennet, a guy that had a few good years as a starter but couldn't keep it up and became just a 3rd down back?

14. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Should be noted that Barber was fumble prone until the last 3 years of his career.

15. Livid13

Livid13 Veteran

You know, I was expecting Slaton to have a great year, as I'm sure some of you were. Moats finished ALL of his runs and Steve simply doesn't do that. Moats was fighting for those extra yards on every single play. Go with Moats and hopefully he stays in today's form. I think putting Slaton out in space as a wideout wouldn't necessarily suck....

16. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Seeing Slaton on sidelines reminded me of that. Gotta change the way he's holding the rock. Call Tiki.

17. Scooter

Scooter Funky

and all he did was something very simple - changed the angle he held the ball. for most of his career tiki held the ball at a 90* (degree) angle, which is how slaton's carrying the ball - on his side at 90*'s. when you watch moats and brown, and tiki late in his career it's a 45* angle protected by elbow and bicep and shoulder. something moats is also doing exceptionally better right now is "running behind his pads". slaton's standing up waiting for a push or juke, instead of running with eyes up and pads down.

dc_txtech and Mailman like this.
  18. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

Slaton is having the SAME TYPE OF SEASON Jacoby Jones did
    last year. It's his second year, and sophomore slumps do exist.
    He may or may not get out of it by the end of the season. If he
    does, it only helps.

19. spurstexanstros

spurstexanstros Texans Rising

Slaton is no doubt..especially if OD is down. Slaton is too explosive to beon bench.

20. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

One things for sure, it can't be Slaton if he keeps putting the ball on the ground.