Mike Sherman fired from A&M

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Stemp, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

Word on the message boards and Twitter-verse is that Mike Sherman has been fired / resigned as head football coach.

Top leading candidates to replace him are Kevin Sumlin and Jon Gruden and apparently one of the two has agreed in principle.

Word is, if it is Sumlin (which is expected) he would be announced after the C-USA championship game this weekend and would start right away, meaning an assistant coach would likely lead the Cougars at a possible BCS bowl.

2. Say Watt

Say Watt Site Contributor

If the last part ends up being correct, I am going to be pissed. This is just ridiculous. They need to stop allowing teams to talk to head coaches with a job until after the national championship.

3. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Why would Sumlin take a demotion from U of H to A & M? :kitten:

4. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

That would be absolutely terrible if Sumlin turned around and did the exact same thing that Art Briles did. What a lousy kick to the gut that would be. Send the best team UH has fielded in well over 40 years to the first BCS Bowl game they've ever qualified to play in without their head coach and part of their staff (assuming he'd take some of them with him).

I'd lose all respect for him just like I did for Briles.

Exactly. A&M is a coaches graveyard.

5. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

This is what happens in a BCS system. UH is not in a BCS conference and A&M is. Until the system is fixed, you will always have good coaches ditching top non BCS schools for mid level BCS ones.

6. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

As much as I love UH, having gone there for several semesters, I think the Coog fans need stop drinking the koolaid if they believe UH is better coaching job than A&M.

Not only will A&M more than double his salary, which UH couldn't even try to do, he'll be coaching the only Texas school in the best football conference in the country.

7. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

Maybe the Jags will pick him up. They need a head coach.

:kitten:

8. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

Bigger fish often poach from smaller fish. Even if UH was in the Big East this year, Sumlin would still leave for A&M, OU, texas or even Baylor.

9. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I wouldn't be surprised if UH could in fact double his salary. There's a lot riding on that program at this particular moment. Moving to the Big East, continuing the process of getting the new stadium started and funded. It's not a matter of drinking the koolaid here.

A&M is a coaching black-hole and has been for years. Now that job doesn't even have the one truly compelling feature it ever really enjoyed: a game with UT. Who wants to be the first A&M head coach in over a hundred years not to be playing the most hated rival the school as ever had?

Without Alabama nobody would give a shit who Auburn was. Without UT there will be diminishing interest in A&M and that interest will be lessened even more as they enter the SEC where the next aggie head coach will be coaching the only Texas school in a conference it cannot hope to be more than an also-ran in.

Aggies are deluded about the appeal of their program and that job. If Sumlin wants to leave he can choose from jobs all over the country. If he wants to leave he's earned it I guess. We'll find another coach and keep trying to climb back up to where we belong. I just hope he doesn't screw his players over like Briles did. That would be unforgivable in my eyes.

10. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Why in the hell would Sumlin leave before a BCS game? That makes zero sense.

11. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

That's how it always works and why would you want someone who left you coaching your team.

12. FirstTexansFan

FirstTexansFan The Unknown Fan

Well don't give two cents who they bring in, just glad Sherman's gone... was begging for his head on a platter all year.

13. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

There is a huge difference between ATM and UH. One team is working on improving their facilities and the other already has and is still improving their facilities even more. One team is entering into a new conference and the other is entering the best conference in the entire country.

14. pbat488

pbat488 gig 'em

not sure how I feel about this.. on one side, he brought about massive changes to how our players acted and conducted themselves compared to the franchione era, but he also hasn't had the results except for 2010, so it's hard to truly say there's been a change. however, with myself saying that, I can just take a look at the team now and see the change in character, demeanor, and athleticism we have now compared to 2008. it's all very weird.

15. Say Watt

Say Watt Site Contributor

It seems every great player for A&M has regressed under Sherman. Tannehill was great last year; sucked this year. Gray was amazing last year; he was above average (not great or amazing) this year. Christine Michael was amazing his freshman year; has been injured since but not dominant when he has played. Even Fuller seemed to regress this year. I know he was injured but even when he was healthy towards the end of the year, he just didn't seem like the same dominant player. Same goes for Judie compared to last year.

Anyone else notice the same thing? It extends back further. Same thing happened to Jerrod Johnson (although there were shoulder issues there). It just seems like when the players really started to learn Sherman's system and should have gotten better, they got worse.

16. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

Oh sweet, hire Sumlin so that every school in the state can hate us! Great plan Byrne!

Sumlin is a big fish in a small pond making success with his predecessor's recruits. I don't like him one bit for any BCS school, let alone one in the SEC. This would be a terrible move for both A&M and Sumlin. I would much rather see them get the DC from Bama or another great SEC coordinator. We need a strong defensive minded coach if we want to compete in the SEC by 2015...

bah007 likes this.
  17. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

Should A&M goes after Sumlin, UH should go after Sherman and install ZBS.
    This way we have better chance watching home grown play for the Texans!!!

18. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I think the appeal of coaching in the SEC is a powerful one. People outside of Aggieland have tried to marginalize the impact of being in the SEC but it ain't stopping at being a more coveted coaching position. Recruiting is going to become almost easy for the Aggies. I think your perception of the Ags is a backwards looking one, but I see this program taking off now that they are in the SEC. If I were the Ags I'd be very careful with this next Coach. The program is ready to take off big time with the right guy.

19. Dan B.

Dan B. Hall of Fame

Why should Sumlin trust them to pay that doubled salary? A&M is in the process of weaseling out of paying Sherman for his contract extension. Let's just say if I'm Sumlin I'm demanding a hefty front loaded contract.

And I'm looking for Bowtie's signature before I sign.

20. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

When was the last time a coach quit on his team before the Sugar Bowl to go to another program starting with the Meineke Car Car Bowl. That would be a BAD move for A&M to make Sumlin make and it would dumb for Sumlin to do. Sumlin would have much more going for him in the recruiting realm staying at UH till the end of the season and leading the Cougars to the Sugar Bowl vs. quitting on them and going to a brand new team with no players he knows, a system that's not his, coaches he doesn't know and coaching them in a meaningless bowl game 3 weeks later.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011