Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mike Mohamed

My thoughts exactly.
The average Grade II calf tear, which is apparently what he suffered, an average rest period is 4-6 weeks and return to play is 6-8 weeks. Mohamed sustained the injury Sept 9......that's only 3 weeks ago. Since he wasn't able to practice Wednesday, he would likely not return to practice for another 3-5 weeks and not see game action short of 5 weeks. As notorious a Grade II calf injury is for re-injury, a setback is possible at any stage of his rehab back game play............and once back in game action, he remains significant risk for the rest of the year for re-injury.

With our needs for roster spots now, keeping Mohamed with such an injury, holding his spot for what is truly an unpredictable and indeterminate period of time, very few teams in our situation would probably consider taking that gamble. He is a promising LB which we would all have wanted to keep. But, in the long-term career big picture, it's difficult for me to believe that he is making the correct decision not to come back to this D next year.

The bolded statements in the article below confirm Mohamed's unrealistic assessment of his injury............that he was "close." You are not "close" when you are still limping after weeks of calf tear rehab.
The Mike Mohamed Situation
There was a report of Mike Mohamed not being pleased with being put on injured reserve, ending his season. The Texans can put together an injury settlement to get him off the injured reserve and allow him the opportunity to sign with another NFL team.
The important part of the situation is that this is Mohamed’s final year of his contract but he feels he will be healthy enough when he comes back form his calf injury to contribute to a NFL team.
The Texans hand was forced when Akeem Dent went down with a hamstring injury, leaving the Texans with only three healthy inside linebackers. With the Texans struggling on special teams, the Texans had to make a move for immediate help. Mohamed did say he was close to coming back from his injury but he still had some time before he was going to return to the field. Mohamed was still walking with a limp around the faciltiy and was doing rehab with the team trainers inside the facility.

General Manager Rick Smith is open to working on a settlement with Mohamed to either bring him back with a new contract with the Texans or allow him to sign with another team.

This is more a business move than trying to upset Mohamed. His calf injury came at an unfortunate time during week one of practice. Mohamed was an important part of the defense but his position on the 53-man roster could not be preserved due to his injury.
link

The bolded statements in the article below confirm Mohamed's unrealistic assessment of his injury............that he was "close." You are not "close" when you are still limping after weeks of calf tear rehab.
link

For fantasy football purposes, what do you think about Victor Cruise's calf injury? Think he'll be back anytime soon?

For fantasy football purposes, what do you think about Victor Cruise's calf injury? Think he'll be back anytime soon?
I wouldn't be looking to see Cruz back for at least several weeks more. He recently received platelet rich plasma injections which are of questionable value, but create a decent amount of pain in the muscle. Those that even believe these injections could be helpful don't feel they kick in for 3-6 weeks.

From what I gather they still hold out hope to getting him back when he is "healthy." Whether Mohamed holds bad blood out for his IR designation by the Texans, that's a different story.

In 9 weeks the Texans can resign him to the roster. Not sure he'll still be available then. The settlement equals 3 weeks of salary. So in about 3 weeks I would expect his camp to start reaching out to teams when he is healthy. Given the injury (and your previous explanation) I doubt he's ready in 3 weeks.

Any team that signs him would likely want an injury waiver included for the calf.

Last edited:
In 9 weeks the Texans can resign him to the roster. Not sure he'll still be available then. The settlement equals 3 weeks of salary. So in about 3 weeks I would expect his camp to start reaching out to teams when he is healthy. Given the injury (and your previous explanation) I doubt he's ready in 3 weeks.

Any team that signs him would likely want an injury waiver included for the calf.
You're probably right unless he re-injures on his attempt to return (which is common with calf tears).

Considering how important a piece Mohamed was to our defense (best cover ILB) I find it hard to get over that we couldn't stick it out and wait for his return, especially when I see the weekly injury report and I see Lonnie Ballentine inactive, who I think would barely see the field at safety even if healthy. Wouldn't we be better served playing this IR/stash game with Ballentine or Dent or someone else?

Considering how important a piece Mohamed was to our defense (best cover ILB) I find it hard to get over that we couldn't stick it out and wait for his return, especially when I see the weekly injury report and I see Lonnie Ballentine inactive, who I think would barely see the field at safety even if healthy. Wouldn't we be better served playing this IR/stash game with Ballentine or Dent or someone else?

It wasn't an "IR stash game." Mohamed sustained a calf injury.....an injury that has a very high in-season recurrence rate.

From a post of Sept 30:
Mollywhopper said:
Any updates on Mohamed floating around out there?
We have not been told much re. Mohamed's injury, other than he suffered a "calf strain." A Grade I tear will tend to require anywhere from 1-3 weeks rest before a player can return. His strain occurred on September 9th. So if he has not returned to practice by the end of this week, he has probably suffered a Grade II tear which will tend to require 3-6 weeks..............unless there has been a set back, in which case, recovery is typically ~30% longer than from the original injury. As I posted when Foster was dealing with his calf tear, these injuries are higher risk for re-injury than even the high recurrent risk hamstring tear. From my post when Arian suffered his calf strain in 2013.:

And, unfortunately, it came to be. He suffered the injury the beginning of OTAs in May and was not able to return until Week I.
[/QUOTE]

Mohamed sustained the injury on Sept 10. On Oct 7, four weeks later, he was placed on IR. At that time, he was very unhappy because he said he was very closed to returning. That was a very unrealistic statement on his part............he was still limping at the time. Here it is about 3 1/2 weeks later (7 1/2 weeks post injury), and not a word about him trying out for any team.

It wasn't an "IR stash game." Mohamed sustained a calf injury.....an injury that has a very high in-season recurrence rate.

From a post of Sept 30:

Mohamed sustained the injury on Sept 10. On Oct 7, four weeks later, he was placed on IR. At that time, he was very unhappy because he said he was very closed to returning. That was a very unrealistic statement on his part............he was still limping at the time. Here it is about 3 1/2 weeks later (7 1/2 weeks post injury), and not a word about him trying out for any team.[/QUOTE]
Is there any possibility that this could be a loophole in the IR process where the injury settlement and release enables him to return to the Texans THIS SEASON like with any of the other 31 teams?

Mohamed sustained the injury on Sept 10. On Oct 7, four weeks later, he was placed on IR. At that time, he was very unhappy because he said he was very closed to returning. That was a very unrealistic statement on his part............he was still limping at the time. Here it is about 3 1/2 weeks later (7 1/2 weeks post injury), and not a word about him trying out for any team.
Is there any possibility that this could be a loophole in the IR process where the injury settlement and release enables him to return to the Texans THIS SEASON like with any of the other 31 teams?

http://www.texanstalk.com/posts/2533442/

Settlement was for 3 weeks....so 9 weeks after release the Texans can resign him (if healthy). He can sign with another team as soon as he is healthy, no delay.

Last edited:
I sort of hope we get him back, he is a good player and unlike most of our current ILBs he can actually play against the pass. But that was before the injury and who knows what he will be like this season if he does come back.

Our IlBs have been so mediocre, he may have been our best, but a closer look makes perception not quite reality.

I'm going to miss PFF...tomorrow my subscription ends. Cushing had a better coverage number in 2014 when compared to Mohamed.

Coverage Snaps Per Reception (the amount of times an inside linebacker is the primary man in coverage relative to how many receptions he allows)

Cushing: 15.7 (282 snaps in coverage/18 receptions allowed)
Mohamed: 11.5 (253 snaps in coverage /22 receptions allowed)

#1 ILB on this stat for 2014 season...DeMeco Ryans. Cushing was #4.

Last edited:
So in your opinion, how likely is it he's healthy enough to be effective?
He's ~8 weeks post injury and ~5 weeks following being placed on IR, at which time he was still limping. So his calf injury was definitely a grade II....since no tryout since his release (and prolonged recovery)....possibly re-injury during rehab. Until I see him make it through a contact practice, I wouldn't be convinced he is ready to go to game play. I suspect, barring re-injury, he will still be compromised his 1st month back. Meanwhile, it has to be understood that he remains high risk for re-injury during the remainder of the season, more so if he has suffered any setback any time during his rehab (from the initial injury to the present). Calf re-injury is much less likely to occur in practices, especially non-contact practices, because the injuries are less likely to occur with shorter warm up type of activities, they classically occur due to fatigue during prolonged full go game circumstances.

He's ~8 weeks post injury and ~5 weeks following being placed on IR, at which time he was still limping. So his calf injury was definitely a grade II....since no tryout since his release (and prolonged recovery)....possibly re-injury during rehab. Until I see him make it through a contact practice, I wouldn't be convinced he is ready to go to game play. I suspect, barring re-injury, he will still be compromised his 1st month back. Meanwhile, it has to be understood that he remains high risk for re-injury during the remainder of the season, more so if he has suffered any setback any time during his rehab (from the initial injury to the present). Calf re-injury is much less likely to occur in practices, especially non-contact practices, because the injuries are less likely to occur with shorter warm up type of activities, they classically occur due to fatigue during prolonged full go game circumstances.

So by signing with the Saints today you're saying the Saints medical staff is equally inept as the Texans'?
Has he already passed his physical?

Our IlBs have been so mediocre, he may have been our best, but a closer look makes perception not quite reality.

Yeah. He was our best LB at dropping back into coverage. He wasn't any good at it but it appears he was our best. Says more about the rest of them than it does about him.

So by signing with the Saints today you're saying the Saints medical staff is equally inept as the Texans'?
Has he already passed his physical?
Incompetence may have nothing to do with it. The Saints are desperate for ILB. I doubt that Mohamed's contract is not short term and written to protect the Saints against the risk of re-injury or poor performance. This could very much be a "look-see."

I didn't even know the Saints had a defense.

Not surprising.

There have been a bunch of fuzzy pictures taken, stories from fans who claim to have seen it, and a few castings of footprints but no one has ever been able to provide definitive proof of its existence.

Edit

I did some digging and found that old VHS tape I had of In Search of episodes. Former NFL line judge Bruce Alford Sr. claims to have thrown a flag at the Saints defense back in the early 70's but most people discount his story though because he didn't start telling it until he was in his 80's and he was thought to be suffering from dementia. The episode concludes that the Saints defense is just a persistent myth.

Last edited:
Incompetence may have nothing to do with it. The Saints are desperate for ILB. I doubt that Mohamed's contract is not short term and written to protect the Saints against the risk of re-injury or poor performance. This could very much be a "look-see."

The Saints likely included an injury waiver for his calf injury. That gives the team the ability to release (without settlement) if he re-injures the same calf.

I'm going to miss PFF...tomorrow my subscription ends. Cushing had a better coverage number in 2014 when compared to Mohamed.

Coverage Snaps Per Reception (the amount of times an inside linebacker is the primary man in coverage relative to how many receptions he allows)

Cushing: 15.7 (282 snaps in coverage/18 receptions allowed)
Mohamed: 11.5 (253 snaps in coverage /22 receptions allowed)

#1 ILB on this stat for 2014 season...DeMeco Ryans. Cushing was #4.

This post tells me that sometimes stats lie.

Stats don't lie, they are just misunderstood.

Right.

Mohamed isn't very good in man coverage. With today's TE & rules, it's going to be hard for any ILB.

But next to Cushing, he's the only one we've got worth having on the field on passing downs. (Bollough being a wils card since he hasn't been given many opportunities).

Mike & Cushing are pretty good at zone defense. Recognizing routes, cutting them off, squeezing them, getting deep. Making small windows forcing tight accurate throws.

Those stats don't show that.

With a good, healthy Brian Cushing, he'd be the perfect complement. He's a number two, someone's Robin.

But if we don't have a playmaker at the LB position (ILB/OLB) it's just as well that we move on.

Having gone somewhat under the radar is the fact that the Saints after only 1 week released Mohamed on Nov 10. He has remained a FA to date. He was auditioned today by the Jags.

I was a fan of Mohamed. But bringing him back makes no sense. Cush & McKinney look good. Pretty damn good. & we're finally seeing Bullough get some playing time on defense.

I'd still like to see Peters take a few defensive snaps. Mohamed gets in the way. I like the guy. But he's not good enough, imo, to I surprised Cush or McKinney. Neither is he so good that we should drop Peters or Bullough from the active roster.

I was a fan of Mohamed. But bringing him back makes no sense. Cush & McKinney look good. Pretty damn good. & we're finally seeing Bullough get some playing time on defense.

I'd still like to see Peters take a few defensive snaps. Mohamed gets in the way. I like the guy. But he's not good enough, imo, to I surprised Cush or McKinney. Neither is he so good that we should drop Peters or Bullough from the active roster.

Agree. And Peters has been a special teams monster; cannot afford to lose that either.

All true at the moment, because let's not forget that we'll have Reshard Cliett back next year.

Back