Mike Lombardi says the Texans are better off without Leinart

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansFanatic, Nov 28, 2011.

1. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

He may be right. Leinart did look like the King of the Checkdown yesterday.

Texans better off with Yates, not Leinart; more Week 12 notes

Can things get any worse for the Houston Texans? First they lose Mario Williams, their best defensive player, for the season. That was followed by their All-Pro wide receiver, Andre Johnson, missing six games with a hamstring injury. Starting quarterback Matt Schaub went on the shelf after Week 10 with a season-ending foot injury and after last weekend's bye, backup QB Matt Leinart comes in Sunday and promptly goes down with a reported broken collarbone.

But don't cry for the Texans just yet. After all, they still beat the Jaguars to improve to 8-3. Losing Leinart is not hard to overcome, especially in this offense, and they even might be better off without him.

Watching Leinart play in the first half, it was clear "the King of the Check Down" was back to his old ways. Leinart refuses to drive the ball down the field, always taking the quick outlet instead of standing tall in the pocket to the last second and making the tough throw. He is nervous in the pocket and treats the ball like a hot potato, wanting to get rid of it as soon as he can. He loves completion percentage more than yards, which might look good on a stat sheet, but never helps a team win. I don't care what the Texans said he looked like in practice last week. In practice, it is easier to throw the ball down the field, largely because there is no risk at being hit. Once hitting the quarterback is a part of the game, then the King is going to revert back to his check downs.

In two quarters against the Jags, Leinart was 10 of 13 for 57 yards. He averaged 4.3 yards in his 13 attempts, which is the same as what the Houston running game normally averages per carry. Take away the 20-yard touchdown throw, which hung in the air for days, and Leinart was 9 of 12 for 37 yards, which is slightly better than three yards per attempt. If Leinart was going to do nothing more than throw the check down, then how can this injury be deemed so costly?

When rookie T.J. Yates came into the game, my first reaction was -- now that is a NFL passer. Yates came off the bench with little or no practice time and led the team down the field for a field goal to close out the half. The game did not look too big for Yates, nor did he look nervous under center. He looked like a player with excellent talent who, after a week of getting all the coaching, could execute the game plan as well, if not better, than Leinart. Yates might not have as much experience as Leinart, but was Leinart's experience really going to help him or the Texans? I strongly doubt it.

The Texans are in a bad spot, don't get me wrong, but it's the same one they were in when Schaub first went down -- they must win with their defense, their run game and their special teams. Losing Leinart does not change things; in fact, it makes things clearer. With Leinart in the game, there would be a belief that he could handle certain things because he was a high pick and has started NFL games. In reality, as was the case Sunday, Leinart cannot handle or properly execute the whole Texans offense. Leinart would have provided false hope, which is not what the Texans need right now.

In head coach Gary Kubiak's QB-friendly offense, Yates will not be asked to carry the load, but just make a few throws down the field. Having been a four-year starter in college at North Carolina, in a pro-style system, Yates can handle the volume of offense each week and will not be overwhelmed. The burden of scoring will fall on the run game and the play-making ability of Andre Johnson, who will benefit more with Yates in the game. Trust me, today the Texans are no different offensively than they were last Monday. I'd argue they are better off.

It's a tough break for Leinart to get injured as he was trying to rebuild his career, and I do feel badly for him. Maybe he was going to prove my evaluation of him wrong by driving the ball down the field, standing tall in the pocket and making all the tough throws. Maybe he did change his style of play and he was just getting warmed up in the Jaguars game. But with this injury, we will never know.

Now Yates will be the man responsible to lead the Texans to their first playoff appearance. But as it was before the injury to Leinart, the Texans' playoff fortunes will continue to lie with their ability to run the ball and make plays with their defense. And I believe they can get it done. So today is not a day for Texans fans to cry; it is a day to just keep moving forward because good things still can happen.

LINK

2. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Watch the video of the ESPN roundtable on that linked page.

Both Mooch and Deion said they'd call Jeff Garcia....

3. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I agree with Mike Lombardi's assessment.

I think we're going to do just fine with Yates at QB. In fact, I think Yates will have legitimate shot at being the #1 QB next season, EVEN IF Schaub makes a full recovery in time for TC next season, which I very much doubt.

eriadoc likes this.
  4. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

As much as I hate to agree with ol' Sta-Puff, he may have a point. Leinart threw two medium length passes today. One to AJ that got called back and the other to Dreessen for six. You could see him look down field once then immediately start looking for the checkdown outlet.

I'd love to see the All-22 video so I could see what coverage Jacksonville played.

5. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

well yates is younger and more mobile hes got that going 4 him ...... : P

6. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

:headhurts: so ...:thinking: "Snap...Crackle...'F'-him?"

7. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Booo!

Kicking a man when he's down is chickensh!t.

8. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

Okay...I'm having trouble with your avitar pic...is that Barry Goldwater or Thurgood Marshall? I honestly can't tell...

9. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

lmao!!!

I've never had anyone guess Thurgood Marshall but I suppose it's not that outlandish.

It's Goldwater.

10. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

I'm not buying that for a second. Laeinart looked alright yesterday and threw a really nice TD pass and had some momentum going for him. He is waaaayy better than Yates on paper. Yates couldn't get anything going on offense yesterday at all and with him in there I think this offense is going to be extremely more limited. Kubiak isn't going to trust him either.

thunderkyss likes this.
  11. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

The thing with Yates: he is a rookie project that will do rookie mistakes. That doesn`t mean he`s not gonna be a good QB, but almost every rookie makes mistakes.

I am excited for Yates. He did look good on that one drive - the rest of the game he was basically handcuffed by Kubiak (which I would`ve done exactly the same - let the running game and the defense finish this off).

But only with a full week of practice as the #1QB and a full playbook will we know, if we are totally screwed or just kinda screwed. It´s totally ok to lose the Falcons game - but I at least want to see some promise.

12. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

That's Goldwater.

Thurgood wasn't THAT lightskinned.
    [​IMG]

13. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Not too far off though, now that I really look at the two pics. Funny.

14. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

I saw more confidence out of Yates than pretty boy Leinart. I think Kubiak was hesitant to take off the muzzle and let Yates take risks down the field.

15. 80tothezone

80tothezone Hall of Fame

actually Kubes talked about it saying that he ran very vanilla that game due to Y8s not being in the offense etc. I think we see how he does against Atlanta. rly our only option at this point... If there was a An available u might be ably to get him up to speed in time for Indy but I just don't see any options as a starter .... throw the rookie into the fire and see if he melts or tempers.

16. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Thought this was interesting.

17. SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 All Pro

Y'all are crazy if y'all think Yates will/would outplay Leinart...I know he was Mr. Checkdown all day yesterday, but Yates was just as worst, if not worse...

That said...Bring in the Copter!

18. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I agree. I think Lombardi had a great point in having unrealistic expectations with Leinart due to his previous experience than you would for Yates. With Yates, we know what we have: a rookie QB.

I think Yates did alright for a guy off the bench and thrown to the wolves. He drove the offense in a two minute drill to put points on the board. And that throw to AJ in quadruple coverage was impressive. I did not see Leinart even try to make that throw.

A couple of after game things made me think positive about Yates. First was AJ's comments about having confidence in him and they were workout partners during AJ's rehab. He's caught some balls from Yates, and I've got to trust our no. 1 WR when it's Andre Johnson.

The second was Bob Allen's interview with Yates on the Texans show. Yates was very cool and calm during the interview, and he said that the offense they ran in college was based on the Texans offense. So he's got some experience in running this style. While it's certainly not pro football experience, it's not like we're taking an option or spread QB from college to run this offense.

19. GP

GP Go Texans!

Lombardi:

"I'm not talking shit here, believe me, but Leinart sucked and you're better off without him. I feel bad that he was hurt, but he is the Checkdown King and doesn't know or care enough, or have the skills, to be a good QB anyways. So, in conclusion: 1.) He sucks. 2.) I'm not trying to be a dick about it. C.) Texans fans shouldn't cry."

Does this guy have a friend? He's the guy who prefaces everything he says to somebody with "No offense here, but...." As if saying "No offense" nullifies your ability to get pissed off at what he says to you. Anybody have a friend like that? You know: The guy who pisses you off all the time, and when you snap on him he comes back at you with "I was just kidding, man! Geez."

LOL.

Leinart did not win the hearts of the football Gods vs. Jax, pure and simple. If you do not appease the Gods, you shall not remain. TJ Yates better be a spiritual man, and he better have a pure and clean spirit next Sunday.

20. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

It is what it is. move forward with Yates no looking back, I mean is there anything the Texans could have done differently? Keep Grossman instead of moving on with Leinart? Or draft Mallet instead of trading up in the second to grab highly graded CB Brandon Harris.

After this season is finished & the staff does it internal team reviews & player assessments, Rick Smith may deceide to focus more on 2012 QB draft & free agent class. Until then its TJ Yates & Kellen Clemons bottom line.