Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mike Leach Fired

This is weird but the sports radio station I listen out here is a subsidiary of ESPN Lubbock, so whether I am a fan or not I get a lot of Tech sports info.

They have been saying that part of the condition of him accepting the job was that the current staff stayed in place.

I heard the same thing. I don't think he will be doing any firing.

He did say on the Dallas ESPN station that he wouldn't change a thing on offense..they will continue to be pass crazy but that he wanted a more blitzing get after the ball defense. So maybe the scheme changes a bit on that side of the ball.

This is weird but the sports radio station I listen out here is a subsidiary of ESPN Lubbock, so whether I am a fan or not I get a lot of Tech sports info.

They have been saying that part of the condition of him accepting the job was that the current staff stayed in place.

I heard that the offense will remain in place. Haven't heard anything reliable concerning the defense though....

I heard the same thing. I don't think he will be doing any firing.

He did say on the Dallas ESPN station that he wouldn't change a thing on offense..they will continue to be pass crazy but that he wanted a more blitzing get after the ball defense. So maybe the scheme changes a bit on that side of the ball.

Like GP said earlier, I really don't see how much more we can blitz. Ruffin has been pretty aggressive.

Tuberville said he plans to interview four or five people each for defensive and offensive coordinator jobs -- all of them outside the program.

He met with members of the coaching staff late Saturday but Ruffin McNeill, the lone other candidate for the job, was not among them. He will meet again with some of them at the American Football Coaches Association convention in Orlando, Fla., on Monday

"I'll just have to wait and see if anybody strikes something in me that I feel, 'Hey, I think they can get this job done," Tuberville said.

Tuberville will inherit a proven spread offense two years after abandoning his attempt at implementing one midway through his final season at Auburn. In 2000, Leach brought a pass-happy offense to Texas Tech that put up gaudy numbers. All but two of his quarterbacks led the nation in passing in his 10 seasons.

Tuberville said he'll make "subtle" changes in the offense to "enhance" it. There will be more running, but the passing game will remain -- and improve.

"We're going to keep the Air Raid," he said. "I like to control the ball, and you can do that in the air as well as you can on the ground."

Tuberville said he has spoken to many of the program's recruits and none told him he'd changed his mind about coming to Texas Tech.

Link to story

It appears, unless I am just grossly misreading the tea leaves here, that Ruffin McNeil is not going to be the d-coord.

That's a pretty cut-and-dry quote from Tuberville.

Hey, the guy has the right initials for fans to have signs in the crowd on gameday and on ESPN's pre-game shows: Texas Tech logo and Tommy Tuberville.

Maybe that's why he got the job.

Looks like coach Tuberville is already messing with the offense. WR coach Lincoln Riley was fired this morning.

http://www.star-telegram.com/993/story/1890467.html

This really chaps my ass.

Yep, it was all just "words" I'm afraid.

That stadium is going to be a different environment because of all this.

There was no reason for the old man to do anything BUT leave everything as it is, at least for one year, to see how things work.

But he just can't help himself. He's the big boss man, and he's wielding his nightstick with no regard to what was built there.

This is not going the way it should have gone if Tech was intent on gaining a better "leader" yet allowing the other pieces to stay the same.

What a mess.

I wonder if red and black will stay as the school colors.

Note to self: Whatever Tommy Tuberville says, don't hold your breath.

Yep, it was all just "words" I'm afraid.

That stadium is going to be a different environment because of all this.

There was no reason for the old man to do anything BUT leave everything as it is, at least for one year, to see how things work.

But he just can't help himself. He's the big boss man, and he's wielding his nightstick with no regard to what was built there.

This is not going the way it should have gone if Tech was intent on gaining a better "leader" yet allowing the other pieces to stay the same.

What a mess.

Yeah, I can not believe that he did this.

For those who don't know much about Texas Tech, Riley was probably our best recruiting tool outside of Leach. When Leach was suspended Riley was named the OC for the Alamo Bowl and was much more than JUST a WR coach for our program.

Tuberville said quote "We're going to keep the Air Raid", then two days later he fires one of the guys who knows the system inside and out.

I'm still giving CoachTT the benefit of the doubt (since I have no choice) but this tells me that he is going to do things his own way. Which is fine and dandy except for the fact that we hired him partly because he said he wasn't going to mess with the offense.

This is a HUGE loss for Texas Tech and I wouldn't be surprised to see Riley running a big time program in the next 5-10 years.

Texas Tech defensive coordinator Ruffin McNeill and four other assistant coaches were fired Wednesday as new Red Raiders coach Tommy Tuberville cleared the way for his own staff.

McNeill and assistants Lincoln Riley, Clay McGuire, Brian Mitchell and Eric Russell were let go on Wednesday. A sixth assistant, Carlos Mainord, is retiring...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4824927

As an outsider, this situation is hilarious. These clowns have now fired nearly every member of the best coaching staff they ever had.

I don't feel sorry for Tech at all. They deserve this. I do feel sorry for the players and fans though.

Looks like the linebackers coach at Alabama is the defensive coordinator at TTU now.

Interesting. I guess there might be something positive if the guy really brings the Alabama defensive style to Lubbock.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4824927

As an outsider, this situation is hilarious. These clowns have now fired nearly every member of the best coaching staff they ever had.

I don't feel sorry for Tech at all. They deserve this. I do feel sorry for the players and fans though.

Ruffy McNeill gave that school everything he had and made his stance for the HC job by winning the Alamo Bowl. Texas Tech rewards him by hiring somebody else, then allowing that new coach to fire him.

Bravo Texas Tech!

Ruffy McNeill gave that school everything he had and made his stance for the HC job by winning the Alamo Bowl. Texas Tech rewards him by hiring somebody else, then allowing that new coach to fire him.

Bravo Texas Tech!

To be fair, I'd take Tommy Tubberville probably 100 times out of 100 over Ruffin McNeil. The AD looks bad enough as it is, I'm sure he wanted to get a very well known hire to try and save his employment.

To be fair, I'd take Tommy Tubberville probably 100 times out of 100 over Ruffin McNeil. The AD looks bad enough as it is, I'm sure he wanted to get a very well known hire to try and save his employment.

Texas Tech is not Auburn. Tommy T will have a hard time succeeding there. With Mike Leach Tech was guaranteed 7-8 wins a year and a bowl game with the occasional 9-10 win season. With Tubberville they will be a perennial 7 win team.

If I were coaching at another school I would probably take Tubberville over McNeill. But with the current situation at Tech I don't see how you could not hire McNeill.

Texas Tech is not Auburn. Tommy T will have a hard time succeeding there. With Mike Leach Tech was guaranteed 7-8 wins a year and a bowl game with the occasional 9-10 win season. With Tubberville they will be a perennial 7 win team.

If I were coaching at another school I would probably take Tubberville over McNeill. But with the current situation at Tech I don't see how you could not hire McNeill.

They should have hired Tubby with an absoulte LOCK on any personnel changes for the first year there.

Everyone who wants to stay can stay.

Good leaders do not come in and make this amount of changes, and in THOSE positions of importance. Change for the sake of changing is almost never a good idea. As a new leader, coming into a firestorm of a situation in Lubbock, Tubby could have bought himself a LOT of emotional real estate had he just sat back an dlet his asssitants do the job they had alwasy done.

Why: Because look at the Alamo Bowl's result. Instead of turtling up and crying over Leach's firing, they went out there and won a bowl game. Everyone went about his job, doing what was expected and leading them to victory. Those people wanted to prove to everyone that THEY could do THEIR jobs and that THEY were quite capable of continuing with their jobs when the new coach came in.

Enter the new head coach, who says out of one side of his mouth that he isn't upsetting the apple cart. "People gonna' like what I do..." And then shortly thereafter he goes and fires a whole slew of very noteworthy personnel on the team.

I just would have said "Look, I'm here to head this program. Every person who wants in, can be in. If you don't think you can stay here and continue on, then you can go. In fact, we NEED people to be man enough to admit they don't 'buy into this,' and to go ahead and leave on their own. Because what was built here in Lubbock was built by more than one man. This team has achieved bowl wins almost every year. This staff gutted out a tough week and won a bowl game."

I would have used this year to evaluate the staff. To really see what I had.

Instead, he just starts lopping off people's heads left and right.

That kinda' stuff doesn't fly in West Texas. He's not doing himself any favors if he thinks he can say one thing and do another in that area of Texas.

Now, could it be that there was already some residual problems with those whom he fired? Maybe they showed they were not very on-board with Tubby, and they were trying to just do their own thing and not really support him or let him near them? Maybe.

I think a lot of wind is going to be out of the sails of that pirate ship.

It just has the feel of Tubby not even trying to see what's there, learn the faces and learn the ins-and-outs of the Red Raider style of offense.

Instead, it feels like he's bringing in a menagerie of people to try and bring a different flavor to the tried-and-true dish known as TTU football.

I really felt that Tubby's longevity in the game, matched with all of the personnel of the Red Raider team, could make a really good thing happen. I felt he could have come in and eventually solidifed his brand of leadership a lot more easily.

Now?

I think people are skeptical, and will be a lot less forgiving if they stumble out of the gate at the start of the season.

He could have just walked around and shook hands for a year and he would have been seen as the anti-Leach; a guy who is approachable and warm and friendly. All the while, letting the machine work quietly in the background.

What a mistake, IMHO. What a waste of a great opportunity to defuse this situation with Leach more efficiently than he has.

It just has the feel of Tubby not even trying to see what's there, learn the faces and learn the ins-and-outs of the Red Raider style of offense.

Instead, it feels like he's bringing in a menagerie of people to try and bring a different flavor to the tried-and-true dish known as TTU football.

I really felt that Tubby's longevity in the game, matched with all of the personnel of the Red Raider team, could make a really good thing happen. I felt he could have come in and eventually solidifed his brand of leadership a lot more easily.

Now?

I think people are skeptical, and will be a lot less forgiving if they stumble out of the gate at the start of the season.

He could have just walked around and shook hands for a year and he would have been seen as the anti-Leach; a guy who is approachable and warm and friendly. All the while, letting the machine work quietly in the background.

What a mistake, IMHO. What a waste of a great opportunity to defuse this situation with Leach more efficiently than he has.

I guess my question now is do you see any requests for transfers coming?

If you're the AD and you feel your job is on the line with the next hire, that's how it happens. Right decision or wrong, the AD is probably not putting his job on the line with a guy who has

1.) never been a HC in college
2.) Was a guy promoted by the now demonized Mike Leach

I guess my question now is do you see any requests for transfers coming?

I think this hurts recruiting.

I think some parents could see all of this and say to their son, "Uh, son. We need to talk. I know we said Tech, but there's a lot of uncertainty. And it might even continue to become more uncertain. How about we look at some of those other schools."

And you know those other schools are going to use this against Tech.

I just see this team becoming very vanilla and much like the other spread offense teams that don't generate what Tech has produced in the Big 12. Was Tech a powerhouse in the Big 12? No, but it was competitive and it was right behind UT and OU. It was probably the 3rd best team in the Big 12 the past two years, IMO.

All those coaches at Tech would have stayed and stuck their nose to the grindstone. They had the formula mastered, in their sleep.

Maybe they've retained enough assistants to keep the fire stoked and ready for the logs they're throwing onto the fire. But it just doesn't feel like it.

I said, earlier in this thread, that it didn't matter that Leach was fired. I said that it WOULD matter who Tech got to replace him. They didn't want Ruffin as coach? Fine. That's not an issue if it comes down to it. But to can Ruffin, then Lincoln Riley, and about 5 or 6 others? Wow.

Maybe the Troy guy works out.

Maybe the Alabama guy works out.

Tech could have at least stayed stable, but now? I think they either progress or they regress. There's no maintaining what they produced the past few years. It will be up or down. Period.

And I just don't think they can bring in enough talent to do what they want to do right away. Then that impacts the NEXT year's recruits. Then you become a footnote.

Apparently McNeill was fired by the university and not by Tubberville. I don't have a link, but that's what I've heard.

How does Gerald Myers still have a job??

Apparently McNeill was fired by the university and not by Tubberville. I don't have a link, but that's what I've heard.

How does Gerald Myers still have a job??

That would be intereting, if it can be confirmed.

Of course, the University might just be allowing Tubby to be the good cop while the Univeristy continues to be the bad cop. That's a tactic used so that the new guy doesn't look any worse than he already does.

"Oh, I didn't fire old Ruffin. I wanted to keep him. But the University felt that a new change needed to be made. I hated losing old Ruffin..."

Or, Ruffin felt he needed to leave and there was a mutual agreement to move on?

It'd be nice to know the real details. And I am sure some day we will.

More details are coming out

Former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach, in a lawsuit filed against the school last week, alleges that wide receiver Adam James stormed out of the athletic offices yelling an expletive and slammed the outer door to the coaches' office so hard that it split and came off its hinges, causing approximately $1,100 in damage.

The alleged confrontation with the coaches took place after Leach and assistant coach Lincoln Riley had informed James that he was being demoted to third string.
Among the details alleged in the lawsuit:

• In September, Craig James called assistant coach Tommy McVay "to tell him, in effect, that you coaches are crazy and you're screwing my kid."

James
• The same day that he made the call to McVay, Craig James left a message for Riley "stating, in effect, 'You don't know what you're doing. Adam James is the best player at the wide receiver position. ... If you've got the [blank] to call me back, and I don't think you do, call me back.' "

• During practices before the Valero Alamo Bowl, Adam James "told Coach [Bennie] Wylie that Wylie didn't know what he was doing and James' effort was just fine."

• Adam James "voluntarily placed himself into the electrical closet and apparently took pictures with his phone camera."

• Texas Tech President Guy Bailey advised Leach that he thought Chancellor Kent Hance was going to try to "railroad" Leach, because of a business relationship between James and Hance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4828405

Really it's hard to tell who did what, but as details become released it continues to not look well for Tech and the James family.

Also looks like right now they are purging Leach's staff as well. Crazy.

If I was a recruit I'd change my mind, cause it's a mess there right now.

Really it's hard to tell who did what, but as details become released it continues to not look well for Tech and the James family.

Also looks like right now they are purging Leach's staff as well. Crazy.

If I was a recruit I'd change my mind, cause it's a mess there right now.

At first, it seemed to me that Leach got a raw deal. And I thought that even before he was able to get his half of the story out there. Something just seemed fishy.

Now that more info has come out, I'm beginning to believe that Leach is gonna wipe the floor with the university in court.

So the TTU President was looking out for Leach, warning him of a possible coup attempt by the Chancellor (Kent Hance) due to possible business dealings between Hance and Craig James, father of Adam James?

Call me old-fashioned, but shouldn't the President be sorta' the guy who can make these types of decisions and rule on things regarding the employment of persons at TTU?

How is Kent Hance THIS big of a player at TTU? Does he have gobs of money and financially-wealthy contacts who contribute to Tech, thus making him the guy who runs things around there?

You know the octopus-face guy in Pirates of The Caribbean? LOL....

So the TTU President was looking out for Leach, warning him of a possible coup attempt by the Chancellor (Kent Hance) due to possible business dealings between Hance and Craig James, father of Adam James?

Call me old-fashioned, but shouldn't the President be sorta' the guy who can make these types of decisions and rule on things regarding the employment of persons at TTU?

How is Kent Hance THIS big of a player at TTU? Does he have gobs of money and financially-wealthy contacts who contribute to Tech, thus making him the guy who runs things around there?

You know the octopus-face guy in Pirates of The Caribbean? LOL....

Hance is the Chancellor and Gerald Myers is the AD. Myers works for Hance and Myers already did not get along with Leach. If Hance told him to fire Leach I'm sure he had no problem doing it.

Hance is the Chancellor and Gerald Myers is the AD. Myers works for Hance and Myers already did not get along with Leach. If Hance told him to fire Leach I'm sure he had no problem doing it.

But where does the President come into play here?

Is he only over academic affairs?

Man, this Kent Hance dude is jacked up, IMO.

Back