Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mike Brisiel/signs with Raiders

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
As it looks now (assuming the mass defection) the OL would be adding Caldwell and Butler, both of whom have spent multiple years with the Texans. They should be ready to start and gel quickly. that key is should be, we don't know for sure in either case.
You're right, Butler and Caldwell know the system. They just need to step their games up.
I think Brisiel's best value honestly is how long he's been here and knowing his assignments at guard. Most teams around the league aren't looking at him like a Steve Hutchinson type, more like a Wade Smith signing.
I haven't followed free agency closely, or at least outside of where Texans are going. But, there are Wade Smith types in free agency every year. The Texans just need to find one to compete with Caldwell. And Derek Newton was drafted and kept on the roster for a reason. He should get a shot at competing at the RT spot with Butler.

Wow 4 mil for Brisiel. About twice what the Texans would've offered and twice what he's really worth.

Gonna have an OL heavy draft this year....

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Hey moderator, if you're going to merge my briesel thread signs with the Raiders into a Mike Briesel ???? thread at least change the f$cking title. That's just pointless.
Yeah, these merging threads are getting pretty ridiculous. I'd kinda like to not have to wade through pages of a thread to find out if someone signed just because there was already a thread with so and so's name on it. If someone has signed, that's a different topic. Leave the damn thread alone.

Not trying to tell anyone how to run the place, jus sayin.

Cerberus

Hall of Fame
Sorry if already posted:

@AdamSchefter
In a deal done and confirmed by @jeffsperbeck, former Texans guard Mike Brisiel has signed with the Oakland Raiders.

Edit: Just saw it on the NFL board. So I guess this is just confirmation that he is no longer a Texan, thus should be vanquished to the NFL board.

SW H-TOWN

Rookie
Yep, really late but it's all good man. Everybody is so happy about the Myers signing I don't think that many people will notice :doot:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
It's about the $20M. Players follow the money. Winning is secondary. Loyalty is something fans talk about.
I wouldnt call it that ... Just like the offer Barfalo gave MW , this offer by the Raiders to Brisiel is just too good to pass up.

We know the Texans couldnt come close to those numbers due to cap constraints - He's likely getting double what they were able / willing to offer.

I'd have gone to the Raiders too .... You have to be loyal to yourself first. Its a business first and a game second.

keyser

Veteran
Too bad - I was hoping we'd keep Brisiel. I really can't blame someone for maximizing their income during what is really a pretty short time frame for a career.

I'm wondering, though, why so many people feel he's being overpaid? $4M/year seems hight but not totally extravagant for a starting guard. Especially when people are OK with paying Myers $6.25M/year. I'll agree that as the Center, Myers is more critical, but it seems a bit weird that to many people, Myers' contract seems fine, while Brisiel's seems extravagent. I thought Brisiel was just as competent in his role as Myers was in his.

In any case, though, if we had to get only one of Myers and Brisiel, I'm glad we kept Myers.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Too bad - I was hoping we'd keep Brisiel. I really can't blame someone for maximizing their income during what is really a pretty short time frame for a career.

I'm wondering, though, why so many people feel he's being overpaid? $4M/year seems hight but not totally extravagant for a starting guard. Especially when people are OK with paying Myers $6.25M/year. I'll agree that as the Center, Myers is more critical, but it seems a bit weird that to many people, Myers' contract seems fine, while Brisiel's seems extravagent. I thought Brisiel was just as competent in his role as Myers was in his.

In any case, though, if we had to get only one of Myers and Brisiel, I'm glad we kept Myers.
I approve this post.

BL :wesmantexanfan:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
We know the Texans couldnt come close to those numbers due to cap constraints - He's likely getting double what they were able / willing to offer.
We don't know that. Rumor is we offered $44M guaranteed, they offered $50M guaranteed.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I agree with that, but I would have liked to be able to keep them both. We need to start grooming the next center though.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Well, when you've got Mario and McNair both saying things indicating it's highly unlikely that the $44 Million was ever in play, I choose to give that "rumor" zero credence.
What did McNair say?

All I'm saying is we don't know if the Bills offer was twice Houston's or that we couldn't match.

We don't know what Mario's cap number will be for 2012, it might be $10M & I'm sure there is a way we could do that.